The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

People hate on him because he hasn't done anything to deserve a lot of love, he's been a disappointment to this point so what do you expect. I'm saying people would rather be saying how good he's been but he hasn't given anyone a reason. I hope he becomes a top 6 forward but assuming he will is absurd at this point. All signs don't point to that. I like your optimism though, it's just that I'm a realist. 

OK pal ya know what, kinda sick of this crap and I just have to say it

Had NO idea who Ashlynn Brooke was.  It was bothering me.   Googled it

Also now an Ashlynn Brooke fan.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

OK pal ya know what, kinda sick of this crap and I just have to say it

Had NO idea who Ashlynn Brooke was.  It was bothering me.   Googled it

Also now an Ashlynn Brooke fan.

I remember her now!

3 hours ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

People hate on him because he hasn't done anything to deserve a lot of love, he's been a disappointment to this point so what do you expect. I'm saying people would rather be saying how good he's been but he hasn't given anyone a reason. I hope he becomes a top 6 forward but assuming he will is absurd at this point. All signs don't point to that. I like your optimism though, it's just that I'm a realist. 

It seems you are assuming he won't be a top 6 player....given his skills, the only way he is not a middle 6 player is if he falls off the wagon or something similar....it may take one more year of up and down or 4th line duty but it is sure in my mind he will be a middle 6 guy.

So it is not absurd to think will a top 6 player from that standpoint....a middle 6 guy is either a top 6 guy or a bottom 6 guy at the same time.

The whole point is that he is our player until he isn't and we should be trying to support his progress as much as possible rather then decrying his disappointments with "real" negativity...

The Jake thread needs more positive posters.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I understand that people are disappointed especially given the fact that the two that were picked soon after have scored 60+ points but hate? Like, it's either you love or hate a player of your favourite team, nothing in the middle? I just don't get why some people would go as far to hate him. Disappointment I get, but man, hate?

I'm also disappointed that Jake has not turned out as great as hoped but I am slightly optimistic that he will get better and be an NHL player. I've accepted the fact that the probability of him becoming a top 6 forward is smaller than him becoming a bottom 6 player but I wouldn't hate on him for that. It sucks for him, it sucks for the team, but someone else in the system or a player to be drafted will come through and take one of the top 6 spots. 

Having Ehlers or Nylander would have left one less hole to fill, but we are far from contending so as long as that spot gets filled out and Jake becomes a good contributor in the bottom 6, I wouldn't be too upset and definitely not go as far as to hate a 20  year old player for that. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, khay said:

I understand that people are disappointed especially given the fact that the two that were picked soon after have scored 60+ points but hate? Like, it's either you love or hate a player of your favourite team, nothing in the middle? I just don't get why some people would go as far to hate him. Disappointment I get, but man, hate?

I'm also disappointed that Jake has not turned out as great as hoped but I am slightly optimistic that he will get better and be an NHL player. I've accepted the fact that the probability of him becoming a top 6 forward is smaller than him becoming a bottom 6 player but I wouldn't hate on him for that. It sucks for him, it sucks for the team, but someone else in the system or a player to be drafted will come through and take one of the top 6 spots. 

Having Ehlers or Nylander would have left one less hole to fill, but we are far from contending so as long as that spot gets filled out and Jake becomes a good contributor in the bottom 6, I wouldn't be too upset and definitely not go as far as to hate a 20  year old player for that. 

I'm not saying they hate the player, I'm using the word in terms of hating on someone. You don't hate everyone you talk badly about. I probably used the wrong word in that situation. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

It seems you are assuming he won't be a top 6 player....given his skills, the only way he is not a middle 6 player is if he falls off the wagon or something similar....it may take one more year of up and down or 4th line duty but it is sure in my mind he will be a middle 6 guy.

So it is not absurd to think will a top 6 player from that standpoint....a middle 6 guy is either a top 6 guy or a bottom 6 guy at the same time.

The whole point is that he is our player until he isn't and we should be trying to support his progress as much as possible rather then decrying his disappointments with "real" negativity...

The Jake thread needs more positive posters.

From what I've seen there is no reason to believe he will be a top 6 player. Last year he picked up his fitness level and learned the finer points of the game but offensively didn't look good. Does that mean he won't turn into a top 6 player? Absolutely not but I'll have to see him do it before I buy in. It's not my fault I don't feel he's progressed well since being drafted, it's what I've seen. If you've seen a guy that legitimately looks like a top 6 forward I have to question your judgement. It's not opinion it's facts. That doesn't mean he won't light it up on camp, come ready in amazing shape and full of confidence. If he does then people will start to buy into him reaching that potential but until then it is absurd to assume he will be that player. Believe what you see, not what you hear. 

Just now, ashlynnbrookefan said:

From what I've seen there is no reason to believe he will be a top 6 player. Last year he picked up his fitness level and learned the finer points of the game but offensively didn't look good. Does that mean he won't turn into a top 6 player? Absolutely not but I'll have to see him do it before I buy in. It's not my fault I don't feel he's progressed well since being drafted, it's what I've seen. If you've seen a guy that legitimately looks like a top 6 forward I have to question your judgement. It's not opinion it's facts. That doesn't mean he won't light it up on camp, come ready in amazing shape and full of confidence. If he does then people will start to buy into him reaching that potential but until then it is absurd to assume he will be that player. Believe what you see, not what you hear. 

Jake was not fit until almost the end of his season in Utica.  As I stated before: we have yet to see fit Jake.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Jake was not fit until almost the end of his season in Utica.  As I stated before: we have yet to see fit Jake.  

But Jake being out of shape is a knock against him. I'm sure he will come to camp hungry and want to show what he can do. I just hope he does. He can put all the bashing to rest. I hope for Jake is an effective NHLer, whether a top 6 role or physical bottom 6 guy

20 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Why hate? Masterbate. Seriously do something beside hating on a 20 year old that is close to the fastest skater in the league, who hits, and has a nice wrist shot. 

Hey remember when he came back from the WJC and tore it up after that Strome Marner 1st line couldn't get it done? 

I'll continue to pump his tires as you say, because he's a Canucks prospect. 

There's a serious crab in a bucket mentality that is going on in this thread and with the fans of this team. 

I witnessed the riot of '94 from Thurlow and Davies street and hey I get the frustration, but why is there such a hate on for this kid?

I guarantee he's going to take longer to develop than the rest of his draft class. 

When we can more clearly define the end of his development (The season after this one when his elc is up) Then we can make a better judgement.

Maybe it's a recency bias and we're seeing the teams that have sucked since the new CBA get better so quickly and we're wondering how it happened all of a sudden?

It's weird. Stop defending your ridiculous position and this thread can turn into an update and information thread, like the rest of the prospects threads' I mean seriously, he hasn't done anything for months and people are still hating on him? 

He gets a clean slate from me. I need to see more and the AHL was a great league for him http://theahl.com/ahl-players-making-nhl-debuts-2016-17

Personally speaking I do not hate or even dislike Virtanen. Its not his fault that he was the 6th overall pick and its not his fault that he was selected by the Canucks.

Not sure why we are talking about Strome and Marner when Virtanen wasn't good in that tournament either. He was a 19 year old returnee expected to be one of the leaders at the tournament and he was a disappointment. His indiscipline in the QF game played a hand in Canada getting dumped out of the tournament. He didn't deserve to be the sacrificial lamb for that performance but he had a poor tournament, no way to sugarcoat it.

Also I don't know about you but 9 points in 36 games isn't exactly the definition of "tearing it up" either. I do agree that he did show some heart after that performance and that to me was encouraging.

I don't really care to compare Virtanen to his peers anymore. Many of whom have long passed him and are much further ahead. Right now I am hoping for a serviceable player, not a star. How other teams are doing does not factor into my evaluation of Virtanen either.

Just because you do not like someone's opinion does not make it a "ridiculous position".

• Upvote 2

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Yaaaawwwnnn.  How about let people discuss whatever they want to discuss

You witnessed the riot in 94 so you must be a little older, more mature, but everyday for the last few months you have been down-repping one of my posts?  Internet grudges are for kids.

Why do you care about your reputation? Haven't you figured it out yet? Everytime you say some dumb Shizz I downvote you. It's not some mystery that needs interpretation. I am older and you are clearly in your youth. Somehow this thread is about your ego and the fact that you need to be "proven right" You haven't "discussed" anything that doesn't relate to your opinion of the PICK. The player is irrelevant at this point. You hate the pick. We get it.

It's funny that people are calling out the haters in this thread within the past dozen pages and you and Guntrix quote them and defend the trolls and haters. What is your contribution to this thread? I'll give you the same slate as I'm going to give Jake next season. 

Discuss.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Toews said:

Personally speaking I do not hate or even dislike Virtanen. Its not his fault that he was the 6th overall pick and its not his fault that he was selected by the Canucks.

Not sure why we are talking about Strome and Marner when Virtanen wasn't good in that tournament either. He was a 19 year old returnee expected to be one of the leaders at the tournament and he was a disappointment. His indiscipline in the QF game played a hand in Canada getting dumped out of the tournament. He didn't deserve to be the sacrificial lamb for that performance but he had a poor tournament, no way to sugarcoat it.

Also I don't know about you but 9 points in 36 games isn't exactly the definition of "tearing it up" either. I do agree that he did show some heart after that performance and that to me was encouraging.

I don't really care to compare Virtanen to his peers anymore. Many of whom have long passed him and are much further ahead. Right now I am hoping for a serviceable player, not a star. How other teams are doing does not factor into my evaluation of Virtanen either.

Just because you do not like someone's opinion does not make it a "ridiculous position".

Actually Jake was a threat in that tournament and it's the team that didn't come together, revisionist history aside.

Tearing it up was more in reference to his physical play that went along with his play in the middle 6. I'd be interested to see what he could do next to Matthews and on a team of monsters in Winnipeg. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Trust me I don't care about my reputation..  I care about the creep who follows my every move, it makes me feel uneasy and violated.

I have discussed plenty about Jake as a player, as well as my opinion of the pick.

People saying bad things about Jake aren't haters, they are just saying it how it is.  You really need to get that through your head

Once Jake starts playing better, the comments will become much more positive.  You see how this works? 

Go to the Edler thread and see how he gets ripped apart.  The guy has given his heart and soul to this franchise and he gets flamed harder than anyone.  Why do I have to be extra nice to someone just because of their age? 

WOW! get over yourself. Say something interesting for a change. I follow you? Or maybe I just see dumb things and call out the author.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Actually Jake was a threat in that tournament and it's the team that didn't come together, revisionist history aside.

Tearing it up was more in reference to his physical play that went along with his play in the middle 6. I'd be interested to see what he could do next to Matthews and on a team of monsters in Winnipeg. 

So it seems we watched different tournaments.

He wouldn't be playing beside Matthews/Scheifele/Laine if he was on those teams. He would be playing for the Marlies/Moose. Those teams have better depth than the Canucks and he didn't make the bigs here.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Yep stats. Nobody remembers that everytime he touched the puck the other team was backing up. Same with the Comets this season. The kid has talent. stop the hate. It makes you look stupid. WTF are you guys arguing? It's so weird. 

Jake wasn't a threat in that tournament, he was a disappointment and a lot of people ended up blaming him for the loss. People that are and aren't fans of this team. You're clearly wearing rose coloured glasses. When he gives people a reason to heap praise on him, they will. Until then people will be disappointed he's the guy we took with the pick. Stop calling people trolls because they don't have the same outlook as you, it's ridiculous. I want to cheer for Jake, I'm just waiting for him to give me a reason. You can be as optimistic as you like but I'll continue to be a realist. I'm not holding onto a hope and a prayer. I agree he has talent, until it translates it's meaningless. A lot of guys are talented that don't make any form of a splash in the league. He was a terror in the WJC hahah, you sir are funny. 

• Upvote 3