The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The point is, the state Jake is at now, is where he should have been the day after we drafted him.  It took 3 years in a ultra competitive work place to figure out that he needs to,  that's 3 years of other areas that we've missed out on development.  Where someone else is fine tuning their game to be an impact player in the NHL, he's back to square one, that's not progression. 

Yes he struggled but we need to stop with the excuses for him or he will never figure it out. Every player drafted in his first round has the same issues to go through and if they want to make a living, they have to over come it.  They all have at a much quicker rate.  

After reading your last sentence, I think there is a clear miss communication on your part. Me posting those stats isn't writing off the kid, it's just showing how far the kid has fell.  Why do people have to act like he's exactly where we wanted him to be 3 years post draft.  He's not, he's not even close and it's fair for people to be upset.  Just because he was drafted by the canucks doesn't have to mean he's all the sudden everyone's favorite player.  We are allowed to be critical of a player who is not meeting the 6th overall expectations. 

Can he turn it around? sure, but so could Yakupov, the doesn't mean people can't discuss the disappointment he's been, especially when they have enough evidence to justify it. 

The problem is, (and it's to be expected on a canucks forum) is that everyone is so defensive of this team.  The coach, the player, the prospects, the GM. For some reason everyone wants to act like everything is roses and every move, decision, player is turning out perfectly.  Then when anyone has a doubt/criticism or an issue with something done. People can't handle it.  They're ok with calling out other teams prospects stalled development with less justification but the moment someone mentions something even remotely negative about this team, fire alarms ring and

On draft day if someone told you 3 years post draft that this is where Jake would be, no one here would call that a success, so why are we still trying to sugar coat it?  Jake has been a disappointment so far,  yes he can turn it around and hopefully he does, but so far he's done nothing for us to get excited about.  Not in the NHL, or AHL. 

What's your suggestion then Mr negative? Burn him at the stake? Would you feel bettering we almost hope like You? I don't really understand what you get out of losing hope with virtanen. 

Has he performed well? No

Is he behind in development? Yes

Would you rather him be headed in the right direction now or headed down the same path he was? 

• Upvote 4

Just now, 73 Percent said:

What's your suggestion then Mr negative? Burn him at the stake? Would you feel bettering we almost hope like You? I don't really understand what you get out of losing hope with virtanen. 

When did I say write the kid off?  Seriously, point that out.  Nothing i've posted has anything to do with the future of Jake.  Why can't people use unbiased logic to just understand that up to this point he's been a complete failure of a 6th overall pick.  If it was any other teams prospect people WOULD be writing him off. 

Has he performed well? No

Is he behind in development? Yes

So why freak out when someone posts factual evidence to support that?

Would you rather him be headed in the right direction now or headed down the same path he was? 

obviously i'd rather him being heading in the right direction, but that has nothing to do with the fact that's he's been a disappointment so far in his career. 

People can't handle any form of criticism of a player.  You're the 3rd person (and wont be the last) that immediately jumped in that have said I've wrote him off and that he can turn it around.  This is the Virtanen thread.  Not the Virtanen what we hope he becomes thread,  Part of player discussion includes discussing his faults, which Jake has a lot of. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When did I say write the kid off?  Seriously, point that out.  Nothing i've posted has anything to do with the future of Jake.  Why can't people use unbiased logic to just understand that up to this point he's been a complete failure of a 6th overall pick.  If it was any other teams prospect people WOULD be writing him off. 

So why freak out when someone posts factual evidence to support that?

obviously i'd rather him being heading in the right direction, but that has nothing to do with the fact that's he's been a disappointment so far in his career. 

People can't handle any form of criticism of a player.  You're the 3rd person (and wont be the last) that immediately jumped in that have said I've wrote him off and that he can turn it around.  This is the Virtanen thread.  Not the Virtanen what we hope he becomes thread,  Part of player discussion includes discussing his faults, which Jake has a lot of. 

He does?  His lack of commitment to fitness and being a professional is his fault.  Otherwise, he kind of has elite skill, size, aggression, shot, and skating.  We need to see him fit, and committed to being a pro; then we will see how his elite package of skills come together to make him a force.  I was down no Jake too, for some time, but seeing him in shape, and committed to off ice professionalism, has me encouraged he will be fit enough to display his talents this coming season.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't think that's true. I think people are tired of reading the SAME, OLD criticisms of Jake, with nothing NEW to add and no recognition of the fact that those criticisms appear to apply more to his PAST than his PRESENT.

Even the people preaching patience on this page have all agreed he's underwhelmed thus far, is behind where we'd hoped he'd be in his development etc. Seems we're quite ok voicing and recognizing those criticisms actually, contrary to your (and others) sentiment there.

We're just not continuing to dump on him for them with nothing new to add and recognition that he appears to be back on track in his development with a far better understanding on what he needs to do to be an NHL player.

If he falls on his face this year, by all means, further criticism will be warranted and I'll be right there with you and the others. Personally, I don't see that happening but if it does, feel free to bitch away THEN.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Criticism is fine. But what have you said here that hasn't been said 1000 times over? You must be getting off on it some How. It's the only logical reason for you repeating this $&!# over and over and over and over. Tell me right now how you putting Jake down and bringing up his shape coming into camp a year ago contributes to Jake virtanen talk.  Might as well bring up horvats lack of speed in his thread too. 

So all these pages should just be for people pumping his tires? He made big strides by getting in shape? Those aren't strides that is to be expected, much sooner than it actually happened. Oh but he's fit now, and still put up 19 points, wow. Even on a team that isn't offensive that's a major disappointment. No one is righting him off, we're still patiently waiting for him to turn the corner but in a thread about him it's hard to find positives if you take your canucks glasses off for a minute. You can be positive but don't get upset when someone gives you more factual statements on where he's at. If you want all positivity than don't visit a Jake Virtanen thread. Hopefully he turns it around but until then don't be so sensitive to people living an unbiased life. 

43 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Man... This must be the single worst thread in current CDC. I keep coming back hoping for actually updates on a prospect that I'm whole heartedly rooting for, and instead continue to return to the place where the overly negative people of the internet come to trade reputation points... Bummer. 

What updates could you possibly hope to see in June? I mean if you want to see what he is up to, you are better off checking his instagram feed.

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 1

On 6/1/2017 at 9:27 AM, J.R. said:

Nobody's saying Jake has lit the AHL on fire offensively and certainly still has work to do/a lot to prove but this page wreaks of stat watching and a lack of context. As usual.

Carry on CDC.

Absolutely.   Sums this up perfectly.   If someone is in the AHL to learn how to be a professional, including the south 100 feet of the rink, then stats take a back seat as NO ONE HERE knows what was asked of any given player.    The negativity, treating this like Playstation and overall puerile ranting about something that can be simply proven come this September and beyond is way too typical of a handful of CDC posters who seem here only to bash, pump others on other teams and overall troll Canuck fanbase.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

So all these pages should just be for people pumping his tires? He made big strides by getting in shape? Those aren't strides that is to be expected, much sooner than it actually happened. Oh but he's fit now, and still put up 19 points, wow. Even on a team that isn't offensive that's a major disappointment. No one is righting him off, we're still patiently waiting for him to turn the corner but in a thread about him it's hard to find positives if you take your canucks glasses off for a minute. You can be positive but don't get upset when someone gives you more factual statements on where he's at. If you want all positivity than don't visit a Jake Virtanen thread. Hopefully he turns it around but until then don't be so sensitive to people living an unbiased life. 

Let me explain why people are pissed off at user's like you and FTG. These threads and discussions in general are supposed to advance over time sprouting to new discussions. Kind of like a tree.

Here's how successful threads work

Horvat

Needs to work on his speed

Could use better linemates

Why is he not given ice time

Clearly should be on pp1

Let's predict his next contract

Is he a #1c

Markstrom

Markstrom needs more starts

Markstrom hurt his knee at all-star

Will he be our number 1 this year

What if they sign Miller

Miller out performed marky

Now this is how the virtanen thread works

Virtanen is struggling

He didn't come into camp in shape

Should send him down

Finally he was sent down

Not putting up alot of pts in ahl

Green says he's been working hard

Wow he looks so much better in that pic

Wonder how he'll perform under green with the canucks

It's similar to the subban thread

Wow subban puts up a lot of pts

Too small not good enough defensivly

Green scratched subban

Green says it was regular rotation

Will subban ever see time with the canucks

He's been working hard on his D game

He's been watching Ellis in Nashville

Now do you see how discussions advance when users like FTG drummerboy and yourself don't drag them down? 

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Absolutely.   Sums this up perfectly.   If someone is in the AHL to learn how to be a professional, including the south 100 feet of the rink, then stats take a back seat as NO ONE HERE knows what was asked of any given player.    The negativity, treating this like Playstation and overall puerile ranting about something that can be simply proven come this September and beyond is way too typical of a handful of CDC posters who seem here only to bash, pump others on other teams and overall troll Canuck fanbase.

I'm a massive Canuck fan, me saying Jake has been a disappointment doesnt change that in the slightest 

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Let me explain why people are missed off a user's like you and FTG. These threads and discussions in general are supposed to advance over time sprouting to new discussions. Kind of like a tree.

Here's how successful threads work

Horvat

Needs to work on his speed

Could use better linemates

Why is he not given ice time

Clearly should be on pp1

Let's predict his next contract

Is he a #1c

Markstrom

Markstrom needs more starts

Markstrom hurt his knee at all-star

Will he be our number 1 this year

What if they sign Miller

Miller out performed marky

Now this is how the virtanen thread works

Virtanen is struggling

Should send him down

Finally he was sent down

Not putting up alot of pts in ahl

Green says he's been working hard

Wow he looks so much better in that pic

Wonder how he'll perform under green with the canucks

It's similar to the subban thread

Wow subban puts up a lot of pts

Green scratched subban

Green says it was regular rotation

Will subban ever see time with the canucks

He's been working hard on his D game

He's been watching Ellis in Nashville

Now do you see how discussions advance when users like FTG drummerboy and yourself don't drag them down? 

The discussion will advance when he does, like Horvat did. Until then we can only discuss what we know. You're funny. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

The discussion will advance when he does, like Horvat did. Until then we can only discuss what we know. You're funny. 

We know he came into camp in bad shape. We know hes worked hard and is now in shape. 

Now we wait to see results not beat a dead horse. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Criticism is fine. But what have you said here that hasn't been said 1000 times over? You must be getting off on it some How. It's the only logical reason for you repeating this $&!# over and over and over and over. Tell me right now how you putting Jake down and bringing up his shape coming into camp a year ago contributes to Jake virtanen talk.  Might as well bring up horvats lack of speed in his thread too. 

Some people keep posting illogical comments though. The OP that Fors responded to made the claim that all young players are mediocre in the AHL. Comments like that need to be refuted with facts. Its not like people are $&!#ting on anyone who is just hoping for him to become better. But misrepresenting information to make over the top comments like the OP was doing needs to be called out. Also it seems like some individuals deliberately post baiting comments like "haters are nowhere to be found when Jake does well". I think these are the real trolls here, because the thread goes to hell right after that.

• Upvote 2

We know he came into camp in bad shape. We know hes worked hard and is now in shape. 

Now we wait to see results not beat a dead horse. 

for sure but praising him on finally getting in shape is absurd. Better late than never? Absolutely. Assuming now that he's in shape he will automatically be effective is also silly. I completely agree it's a wait and see game with him at this point, like with any prospect. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

for sure but praising him on finally getting in shape is absurd. Better late than never? Absolutely. Assuming now that he's in shape he will automatically be effective is also silly. I completely agree it's a wait and see game with him at this point, like with any prospect. 

For sure but bringing up past mistakes is absurd. People can't change? Assuming this one mistake will hold him  back for the rest of his career is also  silly.  I completely agree it's a wait and see game with him at this point, like with any prospect. 

For sure but bringing up past mistakes is absurd. People can't change? Assuming this one mistake will hold him  back for the rest of his career is also  silly.  I completely agree it's a wait and see game with him at this point, like with any prospect. 

Lock thread until Sep IMO :lol:

• Upvote 2