The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I have said it before, I am a Jake fan but I don't think people will stop talking about Jake's mistakes until he goes out there and proves everyone wrong.  I think he will at camp but I just don't think it is realistic to think people will just let it go.  I am not a fan of "slagging" him all the time but Jake has to have a good showing to prove everyone wrong.  AND HE WILL.

Agreed on all points.   I also don't mind constructive criticism but there are a handful of posters who seemingly are only on this board to bash him in particular and made ridiculous comparisons on progress to other players who are, themselves, still only 20-21 and could as easily regress as progress.   This player's unique combination of size, strength and mean streak don't happen very often and time and time again these players show they don't "arrive" until 22-25 and reward those with patience.   

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Precisely.   There are a whack of trolls that won't let this go and it will be great to see them vanish when this kid proves them wrong.  Look at the teams playing for the cup - their key pieces included a lot of "busts" in the eyes of the fanboi mentality ilk and not sure many of those who only look at points, development that happens until 20 (nothing past is possible...right Justin Schultz?) and their own insecurities about being the fan for a team not currently crushing it.   

What? You need to stop inventing things and stick to the discussion at hand. What's funny here is that you've yet to post anything of substance other than "Jake will prove you trolls wrong." I mean, at least give us something statistically or observantly substantive so we can respond to something other than pure homerism. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Toews said:

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/roster

Look at the smurfs in that Tampa lineup. I bet they must suck, need moar size!

We certainly know better than to propose anything for shrimps like Drouin or Namestnikov...

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

They do suck. The goal is to win a cup... have they done That?  

Also the east is like a totally different league. In terms of at Me of play. You know this. 

Exactly! All the more reason you'll never find a proposal for any of their smaller players with skill on CDC!

Edited by elvis15

3 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

We certainly know better than to propose anything for shrimps like Drouin or Namestnikov...

Exactly! All the more reason you'll never find a proposal for any of their smaller players with skill on CDC!

Did Tampa make the playoffs this season?  

12 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUm_48ajFru/  

Still kind of chubby but if theres anyone in abby its anytimefitness where he works out

It's good he's working hard, but I would HIGHLY recommend Jake keeps his head up, and eyes open when possible.  He needs to make believe he's seeing the ice, so it becomes second nature.  I really don't like seeing hockey players looking down at their feet. 

Edited by Alflives

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's good he's working hard, but I would HIGHLY recommend Jake keeps his head up, and eyes open when possible.  He needs to make believe he's seeing the ice, so it becomes second nature.  I really don't like seeing hockey players looking down at their feet. 

Otherwise he could end up living in a van down by the river

On 5/26/2017 at 1:34 PM, guntrix said:

What? You need to stop inventing things and stick to the discussion at hand. What's funny here is that you've yet to post anything of substance other than "Jake will prove you trolls wrong." I mean, at least give us something statistically or observantly substantive so we can respond to something other than pure homerism. 

The argument with Jake isn't really a statistical one at this point... There's not a whole lot of denying that he hasn't fully produced the way most of us had hoped he would.  The argument at this point is whether he becomes a serviceable player for a sixth overall pick.  In all fairness, the jury is still out on that and any one proclaiming boom or bust is premature.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

The argument with Jake isn't really a statistical one at this point... There's not a whole lot of denying that he hasn't fully produced the way most of us had hoped he would.  The argument at this point is whether he becomes a serviceable player for a sixth overall pick.  In all fairness, the jury is still out on that and any one proclaiming boom or bust is premature.   

You know what...he could've easily had 18 goals for Utica. Watching his highlights, I'm hearing alot of PING sounds. He got his chances, took puck into the offensive zone, led rushes and got his shots off.  This while playing with WacY Hamilton, Bancks, then getting a bit of chemistry with Valk. He sure looked better when a talented guy like Goldobin came along. 

Now when I see him dripping sweat and doing what he can to show up to camp ready to go...I'm going to be 100% optomistic. Guys here poke fun at him for doing inline skating....really?

If this kid bags atleast 12g-15a, I'm going to be happy with that. He will improve upon that too

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

You know what...he could've easily had 18 goals for Utica. Watching his highlights, I'm hearing alot of PING sounds. He got his chances, took puck into the offensive zone, led rushes and got his shots off.  This while playing with WacY Hamilton, Bancks, then getting a bit of chemistry with Valk. He sure looked better when a talented guy like Goldobin came along. 

Now when I see him dripping sweat and doing what he can to show up to camp ready to go...I'm going to be 100% optomistic. Guys here poke fun at him for doing inline skating....really?

If this kid bags atleast 12g-15a, I'm going to be happy with that. He will improve upon that too

I think he'll be just fine.  But until he goes out and shows it what more can you say than what you just did, and that's not enough to appease the numerous posters who like hating on an adolescent.  

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think he'll be just fine.  But until he goes out and shows it what more can you say than what you just did, and that's not enough to appease the numerous posters who like hating on an adolescent.  

To be fair, they also hate on men in their thirties, coaches, management and owners, as long as they are Canucks. It's not just Jake.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don't think any Canuck fan likes hating on him, ideally we would all be singing his praises but he hasn't given anyone a realistic reason to do that. It's fine if people are optimistic but they can't get angry when people put him down for how little he's done. Hopefully he's full of confidence and in great shape at camp and shows why Benning and some others think so highly of him. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I don't think any Canuck fan likes hating on him, ideally we would all be singing his praises but he hasn't given anyone a realistic reason to do that. It's fine if people are optimistic but they can't get angry when people put him down for how little he's done. Hopefully he's full of confidence and in great shape at camp and shows why Benning and some others think so highly of him. 

....You must be new here :P 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

You don't think they'd rather be saying how good he's been? Of course they would. Until he really gives anyone reason to people can't be upset with what is said

I really, really don't.....

• Upvote 1