The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

oh any I bet your going to say that you personally know ehlers. Grew up with the guy watched all 63 games he's played in north America. Watched all 10 of his highlight videos. That makes you an expert does it?

If you want to continue this debate come back to me with some hard facts not just garbage that only you believe. I did a fair bit of research as you requested, I deserve the same. Otherwise ill just argue with my fish.

I disagreed with Ehlers being one dimensional which he is not, Ehlers didn't pay me 100$ to defend him but atleast be truthful if you're going to make such a statement.

The western team's prospect pool are not made up of physical players, fact?

Look at the teams in the west and their prospects. Toffoli, Pearson, Hertl, Tervaianen, Schmaltz, Faksa, Granlund, Gaudreau, Baertschi, Haula, Forsberg, Kamanev, Rattie, Jaskin, Barbashev, Rakell, W.Karlsson. Do these prospects sound like physical players?

The big west teams chose skill first players in recent drafts, it's changing in the system and we picked the wrong guy for our division. That's why I said Virtanen needs to raise his skill level higher or maybe we draft some studs with high level of skill and physicality. If Virtanen becomes more dynamic, he will be the one of the most coveted players in the NHL because of everything he can do.

Ehlers will do better because of the 18/19/20/21/22 year old players in other teams system. They will be the future of the west not Dustin Brown, Brent Burns or any of the big physical players in the west.

A lot of those prospects u listed are quite large and hae physical sides to there game.. Vlad kamanev is a big boy btw

Hf Is a joke of a system anyways and they use their letter grades to protect their terrible projections.

Agree with deniro and gooseberries

And as for this ehlers Virtanen crap, if ehlers was taken right after our pick sure discuss it, but he wasn't, fleury and nylander were taken over him.

Ehlers is a complete

Boom or bust pick, massive wildcard, I like him a lot but is he west coast hockey? Is he meat and potatoes Benning vision of our team ? No

Virtanen: top skater(forwards and backwards), west coast local kid, great personality, hits like a bag of bricks, has a deadly shot, can fight, is a big boy who is still growing, one of the younger skaters of the draft class, will take on a bigger role with his team next season and have a year with the world jrs, led u18 Canada in goals and looked really good to me there.

Lots of things to be excited about, this isn't a pick to complain about, now everyone get behind him and send positive energy cause he could be a huge part of our future and a fan favorite, and was a no brainer to linden and bennin that's good enough for me ad should be good Nuff for all of us!

• Upvote 2

Again, our division in the future will not be big. Look at other team's prospect pool.

How am I wrong? Weight = a big physical player? You named 3 players and told me sorry I'm wrong? The future isn't big in the west. Tuch, Ritchie, is all the good prospects I have found on the west teams that are big, physical players.

EXCELLENT! Virtanen's going to run over players in the NHL just like he's doing in the Dub right now. Plus Horvat and Gaunce are going to absolutely rock them, McCann's already physical and likely to grow more and even Shinkaruk's going to be able to join in the smurf-crushing fun.

Edited by swift4grizz

Mitch Moroz projects to be a 4th liner.

Every team has hitters. If you want to talk about just plain 4th line hitters which every team has, I can name you many. But those don't matter because they're hardly NHL hockey players and won't be able to match up to Ehlers in terms of skill level.

LA is known for their physicality but it isn't one player doing all the hitting it's everyone of their players finishing their checks. No team has a team full of players in their system that hit, though they might be acquired through FA or trades. None of these prospects pools show any of sign of them being a physical powerhouse. No team what so ever, 1-2 players isn't a team full of them. 1-2 players won't be able to get it done. You could only name me one player that was physical, so what?

This division isn't even close to being physical if you look at the prospect pool, pick out 1 guy out of each team and that's your point? Pretty pathetic if you ask me. The top prospects are skill first players, the projected bottom 6 ones are physical.

Ehlers will skate around bottom 6 players all day and you probably think Ehlers is a small, soft European even though I highly doubt you've ever seen him.

You're basing your opinions off scouting reports, how can I take what you say about Ehlers seriously?

Probably because scouts evaluate players for a living and generally have a more accurate projection of players than fans do.

Probably because scouts evaluate players for a living and generally have a more accurate projection of players than fans do.

Then what gives him the right to say Ehlers is one dimensional? He just craps all over Europeans like Ehlers and Nylander but I doubt he's seen them play more than once.

Not dynamic enough and 1 dimensional in the offensive zone.

I'm not looking at points, I'm talking about when I've seen him play many times. He doesn't play well enough in the offensive zone in different situations. He plays the rush in and shoot or the rush into the zone and force it to the net. I don't see him play well enough in the dirty areas, digging corners, cycle, behind the net, below the hashmarks. That's what I mean by one dimensional offensively, I don't see him having enough space like that in the NHL.

He doesn't play below the hashmarks, behind the net aswell as I want to. He has a shot, speed, goes to the net but he needs to be more dynamic than that in the offensive zone, he's not very good in tight areas and doesn't have the hands I want him to have.

How many times have you seen him play and seen him play well behind the net and tight areas? I've watched him many times, he doesn't dig corners enough and go to the dirty areas.

Funny cause that's the opposite of what scouts and even Benning have said about him.

Virtanen constantly goes to the dirty areas and battles for pucks. That's one of the biggest reasons Benning picked him. I believe he said something along the lines of "when Virtanen isn't putting up points he'll contribute in other ways, like winning puck battles".

The guy plays with speed and goes hard to the net. He likes to shoot, but he definitely knows how to get the puck to the net. What he'll need to work on is using his linemates more though. He's only 17 though, so there's still plenty of time for him to evolve his game.

Then what gives him the right to say Ehlers is one dimensional? He just craps all over Europeans like Ehlers and Nylander but I doubt he's seen them play more than once.

Sorry, I should have added more to my post. I agree with you in saying Ehlers is a dynamic, not one dimensional, offensive player. I disagree with you in saying "basing our opinions on scouting reports removes our credibility when speak about a player's abilities". (paraphrasing)

don't look into hfboards.com grading system. It's hilarious because it based on how well that prospect is doing.

for example.. I remember back in the Day Kesler was rated as a 7.0C. Which is he is going to be a second player, but unlikely to become one, which is strange. His final grade was then a 6.5 B, which is gauratneed 3rd line NHL player. We all know, Kesler if anything became much more then a 3rd line player and infact one of our best second line centermans in history.

So Virtannens 8.0 D meaning he is unlikely to become a second line player, is kinda obscure. Why are you guys even following it? I only drop by hfboards.com to look at oppinons of fans who watched these players actually.

don't look into hfboards.com grading system. It's hilarious because it based on how well that prospect is doing.

for example.. I remember back in the Day Kesler was rated as a 7.0C. Which is he is going to be a second player, but unlikely to become one, which is strange. His final grade was then a 6.5 B, which is gauratneed 3rd line NHL player. We all know, Kesler if anything became much more then a 3rd line player and infact one of our best second line centermans in history.

So Virtannens 8.0 D meaning he is unlikely to become a second line player, is kinda obscure. Why are you guys even following it? I only drop by hfboards.com to look at oppinons of fans who watched these players actually.

According to HF's number ranking system, 8 is a first line forward, a #2 d man, or a starting goaltender, 7 is a second line forward, a # 3-4 d man, or a journeyman goldtender.

Not dynamic enough and 1 dimensional in the offensive zone.

I'm not looking at points, I'm talking about when I've seen him play many times. He doesn't play well enough in the offensive zone in different situations. He plays the rush in and shoot or the rush into the zone and force it to the net. I don't see him play well enough in the dirty areas, digging corners, cycle, behind the net, below the hashmarks. That's what I mean by one dimensional offensively, I don't see him having enough space like that in the NHL.

He doesn't play below the hashmarks, behind the net aswell as I want to. He has a shot, speed, goes to the net but he needs to be more dynamic than that in the offensive zone, he's not very good in tight areas and doesn't have the hands I want him to have.

How many times have you seen him play and seen him play well behind the net and tight areas? I've watched him many times, he doesn't dig corners enough and go to the dirty areas.

Again, our division in the future will not be big. Look at other team's prospect pool.

Nash is 216 but does he play big? No. None of those players you mentioned play big, they aren't comparable to the big physical guys in the NHL today. Who knows a late bloomer might become a big physical mean hitting machine but all I know is that the players I know are not going to be the face of a big physical team. 1 big player averagely on 1 team in the western conference doesn't make the whole conference a big physical team.

How am I wrong? Weight = a big physical player? You named 3 players and told me sorry I'm wrong? The future isn't big in the west. Tuch, Ritchie, is all the good prospects I have found on the west teams that are big, physical players.

You're wrong. Look at every team's prospect pool and then tell me I'm wrong.

to be honest, this is not the best draft year. It's a weak draft year, and also it's also underrated. Jim Benning has done his homework on all candidates. That was his job as the Boston Assistant GM. If Virtannen' wasn't worth using a rare 6th pick on him, Jim Benning will not have drafted him. There is no question about it. After the 5th drafted player, many of these players have glaring weaknesses. Virtannen's assist ratio is low, but not exactly his game. He is a hard hitting fast skating winger who is actually a dealy goal scorer. No question about it. Also a ruthless hitter. So with our pick, we drafted a

fast skating player, who is a vicious hitter, and is a deadly goal scorer from the Lower mainland area, who has size and speed.

Sounds to me a dream come true and a player we've been looking to draft for a damn long time.

Again I trust Benning in this pick.... if Virtannen wasn't any good or "worth" it, Benning woulnd't have hesitated to draft someone else.

In Conclusion...

Jim Benning as his first pick as the Canucks GM, drafted a hard hitting goal scoring winger with size and speed, and from the local area. Born in New Westminster grew up in Abotsford. He grew up cheering on the Canucks, His hero Markus Naslund.

According to HF's number ranking system, 8 is a first line forward, a #2 d man, or a starting goaltender, 7 is a second line forward, a # 3-4 d man, or a journeyman goldtender.

Nevermind my ramblings. I now see what you mean, at 8 D he has a chance to drop 3 rankings. So they are in fact saying he is unlikely to be a 2nd line forward.

Nevermind my ramblings. I now see what you mean, at 8 D he has a chance to drop 3 rankings. So they are in fact saying he is unlikely to be a 2nd line forward.

Yes, so basically they have already written him off to a certain extent. This is why I am informing all fellow Canucks fans to don't use their ranking system as any reference. It also gave Michael Grabner, a low score apparently, and look were he is now. He's not doing great, but he is a second line winger. so they were wrong about him too.

Yes, so basically they have already written him off to a certain extent. This is why I am informing all fellow Canucks fans to don't use their ranking system as any reference. It also gave Michael Grabner, a low score apparently, and look were he is now. He's not doing great, but he is a second line winger. so they were wrong about him too.

Fair enough mate. HF does seem to be way out of the park on a lot of players, a good warning to our newer members.

to be honest, this is not the best draft year. It's a weak draft year, and also it's also underrated. Jim Benning has done his homework on all candidates. That was his job as the Boston Assistant GM. If Virtannen' wasn't worth using a rare 6th pick on him, Jim Benning will not have drafted him. There is no question about it. After the 5th drafted player, many of these players have glaring weaknesses. Virtannen's assist ratio is low, but not exactly his game. He is a hard hitting fast skating winger who is actually a dealy goal scorer. No question about it. Also a ruthless hitter. So with our pick, we drafted a

fast skating player, who is a vicious hitter, and is a deadly goal scorer from the Lower mainland area, who has size and speed.

Sounds to me a dream come true and a player we've been looking to draft for a damn long time.

Again I trust Benning in this pick.... if Virtannen wasn't any good or "worth" it, Benning woulnd't have hesitated to draft someone else.

In Conclusion...

Jim Benning as his first pick as the Canucks GM, drafted a hard hitting goal scoring winger with size and speed, and from the local area. Born in New Westminster grew up in Abotsford. He grew up cheering on the Canucks, His hero Markus Naslund.

I understand what we got, I support the pick. Virtanen is a player we don't have in our system and he has good dimensions to his game.

Funny cause that's the opposite of what scouts and even Benning have said about him.

Virtanen constantly goes to the dirty areas and battles for pucks. That's one of the biggest reasons Benning picked him. I believe he said something along the lines of "when Virtanen isn't putting up points he'll contribute in other ways, like winning puck battles".

The guy plays with speed and goes hard to the net. He likes to shoot, but he definitely knows how to get the puck to the net. What he'll need to work on is using his linemates more though. He's only 17 though, so there's still plenty of time for him to evolve his game.

If you're talking about the all access video I think he was talking about how he gets hard to the forecheck not winning puck battles.... If that's the video your referring to.

I guess I'm making my self look like a Virtanen hater, I'm not. I'm behind this guy and I can 100% understand why Benning chose Virtanen. He's different, we don't have a similar player like Virtanen on our team, he's fast, he hits, he has one of the best shots in the CHL, he goes to the net. He's a fast, physical player.

I would like to see him work on his boardplay, looking up when he has the puck. That's my concern of his game, if he can improve that he'll be a hell of a player.

I really like Hockey's Future ranking system. It has a more realistic projection. I've seen people here who think the top 9 in the Canucks future will contain: Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Virtanen, McCann, Casssels and Fox. The odds of that happening are thousands to one.

Just so people know, Hockeysfuture still has us ranked 27th for prospects, and has our top 5 as Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, and Corrado....

They also still have goaltending depth as our weakness, and list key losses as Dalpe, Anthony, and Polasek. :lol:

That goes to show how up to date they are.

Our top 5 would now be Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, Demko, and McCann. Goaltending is definitely not a weakness, and even our D has been improved with the additions of Tryamkin and Forsling. Still needs some work in the D department though.

I would say the Canucks are easily in the top 15, if not top 10 now.