The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Apparently, the junior team was absolutely garbage, and it really would've set Leon back. I don't know the specifics, but that's just what I heard on the radio. The junior team has been terrible for some players' development in the past.

Umm no, that's not even a rumour you're making crap up.

The oilers kept Leon because they didn't have any centers to start the season.

When they realized they messed up they sent him back to junior. St. Albert was not in a playoff position so they traded Leon to kelowna for some valuable draft picks.

When they realized they messed up they sent him back to junior. St. Albert was not in a playoff position so they traded Leon to kelowna for some valuable draft picks.

pretty sure unknown is correct

Do you mean going into a season with RNH, Leon and Arcobello as your top three centres was a mistake?

Knock me down with a feather.

Oiler domination...yada yada yada

Edited by theminister
  • Upvote 1

Link?

http://panow.com/article/494460/raiders-pressured-oilers-deal-draisaitl

P.A. really wasn't that bad.

But take away their star #1 centre....

I know Morrissey developed pretty nicely in P.A. but putting Draisaitl on a team like the Rockets would be quite a bit better for his development. Nonetheless, scumbag move by MacT

What's my incentive exactly to mislead people on CDC?

It was stuff I heard on the radio, and I could provide source, but frankly, I don't want to bother. Feel free not to believe me, if you'd like.

Edited by unknown33429
  • Upvote 1

P.A. really wasn't that bad.

But take away their star #1 centre....

It's about asset management. If you have a top 5 pick, you want to make sure he is in good hands in junior. If you think it could hurt his development, it might be a good idea to take him away from that situation.

It's not so different than bringing a player from Europe to play in Canada, which the Leafs just did with their top pick.

Oilers are by no means the paragons of player development, but I can see this from their POV. If a Canucks top pick was in questionable hands, which I'm not sure is the case with Virtanen, I'm hoping we'd do the same.

You think it's called "St Albert". Forgive me if I question your fact checking abilities

• Upvote 1

Yea they can technically. Edmonton did it with their rookie.

The trick is to take him out of WHL and play him with the Nucks until they are forced to trade him to a better team. Canucks have his rights and can call him up if they want.

No they can't. An NHL team cannot call up a junior player until the their junior season is over - including playoffs.

The player has to start the season in the NHL in order to be on the big club.

No they can't. An NHL team cannot call up a junior player until the their junior season is over - including playoffs.

The player has to start the season in the NHL in order to be on the big club.

teams can call up players from Jr's as an emergency call up. Leafs did it with kadri back in the daym

teams can call up players from Jr's as an emergency call up. Leafs did it with kadri back in the daym

Fair enough. The point that I was specifically responding to was the fact that the Canucks have no pressure to exert on the Hitmen. The poster that I quoted seemed to indicate that Vancouver could threaten to call up Virtanen in order to force a trade - which I think is not actually the case.

I don't believe that the Canucks can invoke an emergency call up in order to exert pressure on a junior club.

Fair enough. The point that I was specifically responding to was the fact that the Canucks have no pressure to exert on the Hitmen. The poster that I quoted seemed to indicate that Vancouver could threaten to call up Virtanen in order to force a trade - which I think is not actually the case.

I don't believe that the Canucks can invoke an emergency call up in order to exert pressure on a junior club.

your absolutely right. I kinda jumped in the conversation at your post. I dont even know what would enable you to use an emergency call up.

What's my incentive exactly to mislead people on CDC?

It was stuff I heard on the radio, and I could provide source, but frankly, I don't want to bother. Feel free not to believe me, if you'd like.

Nah, your right man. I heard PA's gm talking briefly about the Draisitl fiasco. Id love to see Jake in a better program but this kind of stuff is snakey and gives you a bad rep.

Prince Albert....

Apparently, the junior team was absolutely garbage, and it really would've set Leon back. I don't know the specifics, but that's just what I heard on the radio. The junior team has been terrible for some players' development in the past.

well that's ironic. since Leon had 107 points on that very same bad team, did they seriously think he will develop better in Edmonton of all places? what a joke, Edmonton is the sh!thole when it comes to developing prospects did they actually think they will do a better job, omg lol

lets not forget Edmonton also didn't want to release him for the world juniors, what stupid clowns run that team, unreal.

You will lose an year of ELC, but if I recall correctly, there is a different game limit for losing an year of RFA.

It is a risk, but like I said, if the situation is bad enough, you can do it and Edmonton did it with Leon. The junior team eventually pulled the trigger and traded him to Kelowna, so Edmonton sent him down again.

At the 10th game played the ELC kicks in regardless of if he's sent back and at the 40th game played it puts them one year closer to UFA status. The Oilers had already passed the 10 game ELC mark and used the available time they had left to see what he could do. I believe they sent him down after 37 games played.

I think the Oilers had a hand in helping along a trade at the junior level for him, but wouldn't put it as strong-arming them. I don't really know though, but since the Oilers didn't even let Draisaitl go to the WJHC (which wouldn't have affected their ability to bring him back to the NHL if they wanted to) it was pretty clear they were keeping him up for more reasons than just that they didn't like Prince Albert's team.

your absolutely right. I kinda jumped in the conversation at your post. I dont even know what would enable you to use an emergency call up.

Emergency call ups are only available if both the NHL team and the AHL farm team are at risk of going below the minimum 18 man roster. If the NHL team needed a player and calling up an AHL'er would put the farm team below the 18, then they have recourse to recall a junior player. I believe that's only during the period of cover needed though, not for the rest of the season if they play well enough, but I'm not completely sure on that part.

Edited by elvis15

Here's hoping Virtanen makes the Canucks roster next year. Not a fan of how he is being handled in Calgary. Sounds like Willie and Benning are fans of his game too.

Benning yes, he has to sell Virtanen as a great player ( which he is!)

WILLIE im not sure. Virtanen doesnt bring defensive game like Horvat does. It will be interesting, but if benning wants Virtanen on the team, he'll tell Willie so