The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I'm just glad he doesn't play for the Giants.

Imagine the scrutiny then!

For sure. Same goes for any of our high end prospects.

It's a big reason I'd also rather have our AHL team stay in Utica and not come to the Lower Mainland. Allows our young guys to develop their games away from the bright lights and prying eyes of guys like Botch and Gallagher who would analyze the minutiae of their everyday lives. Some kids could handle it, others it might crush.

No need for the injury excuse, players have good seasons and players have bad seasons, it happens. Hoping for the Hitmen to get knocked out is a ridiculous comment..Why would Green trust Virtanen in Utica when he isn't even fully trusted in Junior?

But Green has way more important things to worry about right now, the playoffs are right around the corner he isn't going to only focus on Jake just to make CDC happy. I wouldn't put my money on him going too Utica at all

You're being argumentative without even trying to counter with a valid argument as to why it's better for Jake to struggle in Calgary then get his feet wet in Utica.

And for the record, Hodgson and Jensen went straight to the Manitoba Moose and Chicago Wolves respectively after their post-draft seasons in juniors were over.

You're being argumentative without even trying to counter with a valid argument as to why it's better for Jake to struggle in Calgary then get his feet wet in Utica.

And for the record, Hodgson and Jensen went straight to the Manitoba Moose and Chicago Wolves respectively after their post-draft seasons in juniors were over.

agreed..Jake wont be the only junior to go either..I doubt any will play for the Comets in the playoffs..but to be around and practice with the team goes a long way .

• Upvote 1

If he is injured then I'm not too thrilled with his durability. He punishes people with hits but if these are taking a beating on him in Junior, Imagine when he starts trying the same thing against men.

I haven't watched him play since the WJC, so I'm gonna wait till the summer when prospects camp starts to see where he's at.

Watched the game and thought Virtanen had a decent game. Had chances. My eyes lit up when he made that one rush with a shot on net. No one could really stop him.

I find it curious that there is no talk with his line mates while on the bench. I did not see it once.

Ya I dunno why people feel he had a bad game last night. Sure the first period he didn't do much. But when he was put onto the helgeson line, I thought he was the best player and the most noticeable(in a good way) for both teams. A few good passes and shots, stronger on the puck. Hopefully he carries that into tomorrows game.. I will be there live!

Having been fortunate enough to have seen JV play in person last year about 6 times and this year about 8 times (no playoffs yet though), I have to agree with a theory made earlier in this thread that he may be suffering from some form of minor (or medium level) nagging injury. Obviously not an injury that would keep him out of the line-up, especially in the playoffs, but the sort that would have an impact on his overall level of play and his ability to contribute and play his regular game. He's just not the same player right now as he seemed to be last year and/or near the part of the season right before the WJC - and I don't believe it is due to lack of effort.

That said, I've always subscribed to the fact that his type of game is one that was high risk - high reward. He plays on the edge physically and is a somewhat reckless hitter (some call it fearless) - this always leaves the door open for injury unfortunately.

There's a good chance I'll be in CGY Friday so I'm hoping to catch the game. I'm interested in seeing him in person in the playoffs and understand exactly what's been going on with his game recently. Of course one game does not make a clear scouting sample, but it's far better than reading the game-sheet after the fact like most people do and say that he's 'invisible' because his stats are 0-0-0-0.

• Upvote 2

here r game 1 and game 2 highlight

He had a definitely turned his game around in terms of scoring chances in game 2. He was great in 2nd and 3rd period..

though he did had some turn overs and giveaways, they didnt really materialized into scoring chances which was good

Edited by ihaveyuidonttouchme

your such a troll not sure how your not banned virtanen is such a bust the he got a gold medal on team canada they obviously didnt think he was good enough to make a 23 man roster of the best players in junior lol he must have no talent. wow your so dumb

I love the Irony in this. You said "Hamhuis sucks" and "Should be off the team" in another thread. Guess what Hammer and Virtanen have in common? BOTH represented Canada at their respected levels and BOTH got gold. :picard: