The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Edlerberry said:

ehlers generates chances and then butterfingers like a rookie, still putting up decent numbers and getting chances.

the puck dies with jake. 

Ehlers has fallen off the edge of the planet about 20 + games ago 

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 3

So to confirm,

Jake is a bust, Ehlers and Nylander are gods right?  This is all based on less than 40 total games at the NHL level played with plugs and a few exhibition games for Jake, an AHL season on a Marlies team chalk full of players drafted in the very early rounds and quality prospects from trades for Nylander and Ehlers being played on a solid and quite large bodied Jets team where he is being sheltered perfectly for his size and abilities right?

Good to know.  Let's trade him for Barry Pederson and a 1st.  Because just like Neely who was played with veritable plugs and never scored more than 39 points in a Nucks uniform...

Virtanen is a bust.  

Am I CDC'ing properly?

Edited by Warhippy

11 hours ago, guntrix said:

I stated why and you conveniently look away.

He is not playing at the level that is expected of him considering that he's got some more development under his belt and that he was drafted No. 6.

Based on his play, he DOES NOT deserve to be playing in team Canada. His level of play has been way below average whether you want to admit it or not. 

Don't be ignorant. You don't have to score to play well. 

JV has not been playing well. 

You still havent explained what lead you to your opinion of him playing below average. Is it his skating? play without the puck? anyone can say he looks below average, heck you could even say that without watching the game. What parts of his game are below average? and why

Edited by Gstank29

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

It's not unusual for a rookie in the NHL to struggle when they play in the WJC.  Jake has only played two exhibition games and (like the his NHL team) may need a little time to get going.

He'll step up when the games count.

He is dominating the boards and throwing real nice passes. Virtanen was not the disappointment for me in the first 2 games. He is playing like a pro IMHO. If anything I expect him to be more physical and that fact he was not to date is not surprising since it was exhibition. I will not judge his success by his point total. I want him to dominate the play both physically and by puck possession. If he does he should pick up his share of points.

The roster has not been that impressive to date. Hoping that a few practices and the Swedish game gives a better indication of what is there.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Conscience said:

He's got the tools but not the toolbox?

I think he needs a lot more coaching and watching video to become an effective nhler. And it will probably take some time, at least a couple more seasons. Maybe junior this year and ahl next is best for his development.

Patience is what people in CDC don't have.

11 hours ago, guntrix said:

Have you even watched him play the past week? I'm guessing no. 

I also find it amusing when people tend to pass their opinions on a player they haven't watched. Same can be said for another guy on here who said he was good in junior despite never watching him play with Calgary. :rolleyes:

The Hockey's Future stats nerd force is strong in this thread.

I don't have the same opinion Virtanen's play as you, that obviously means I didn't watch any of the exhibition games. It also means that I'm not going to watch any of the WJC games either. Cool, thanks for letting me know. 

19 hours ago, Darius71 said:

How many here were hitting the panic button when Bo didnt do much in the wj championship?    Lets wait for the tournament to unfold before we start writing the guy off.

I'd almost forgotten how bad this thread gets.  Pity party and complete overload of soiled panties here the past 24 hours.

:sadno:

• Upvote 3

Virtanen is practising on the first Powerplay unit with Team Canada, he is anchoring a line with Point or Barzal and Perlini, call it the co-first line in my opinion and although Perlini is 6'3" 208 LBs. it is Jake that is looked upon as "the" power forward/enforcer on the line.

They both can skate like the wind but Jake hurts you when he hits, if Point is good to go (banged up) that line should be as valuable or more so than the Queennville / Strome / Marner line of today's practise.

I predict many of us and all of Canada will be surprised by Jake and view him differently in 2 weeks time.

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Virtanen is practising on the first Powerplay unit with Team Canada, he is anchoring a line with Point or Barzal and Perlini, call it the co-first line in my opinion and although Perlini is 6'3" 208 LBs. it is Jake that is looked upon as "the" power forward/enforcer on the line.

They both can skate like the wind but Jake hurts you when he hits, if Point is good to go (banged up) that line should be as valuable or more so than the Queennville / Strome / Marner line of today's practise.

I predict many of us and all of Canada will be surprised by Jake and view him differently in 2 weeks time.

You're gonna get trashed when your prediction is wrong, just saying.

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Lowry is playing Jake on the first powerplay so I do have a hunch the coach thinks Jake might be alright...

everyone else should be thinking that way too, no reason not to until proven wrong...

Bust Bust Bust cut him he doesn't deserve to be on the time let alone that 1st PP:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Lowry is playing Jake on the first powerplay so I do have a hunch the coach thinks Jake might be alright...

everyone else should be thinking that way too, no reason not to until proven wrong...

He's going to be the net front presence and puck retriever.  Like what Hansen does, when he's with the Twins.