The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

7 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

'We should have drafted someone who'll play hard for this team.... can't believe JB and TL passed up a big strong homegrown talent like Virtanen to take Raymond 2.0."

:ph34r:

In all honesty, if we took Nylander everyone would be complaining we missed out on Ehlers.....

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Where does Boeser have a rep as a perimeter player?  Or a soft player.  Are you defensive cause WN had a pretty brutal game?  You know Nylander is a maple leaf, right?  Maple leaf player has a bad game, it is pointed out and you have to throw a Canucks player under the bus to somehow compensate for WN clear inability to play a two way game. 

Nylander has always had questions about how he would do when the game get tight.  That was one reason he dropped in his draft year.  

That's not news, he is a regular season player, like his father, but will have to do a lot to show that he can play in the playoffs. Give him a mulligan for game one, but it isn't a good sign. 

Nylander has had some

concusions, doesn't play physical and in a contact sport that will force a non physical player to either be shifty and sneaky (Johnny Hockey) or you get forced to the outside. 

Chill guys, I love Brock. I wasn't trying to put him down, that was just to point out how quickly Canucks homers can label another player as "soft" but praise their own similar type of players.

As for Nylander being an ineffective perimeter player, he's more than willing to drive in hard when he needs to. Just watch in power through some checks here.

Anyways, this is a Virtanen thread so I'll stop with this Boeser and WN talk here.

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's still playing physical, but in the pros you don't lay out those huge hits very often

I meant prior to being sent down - he seemed to have some issue physically that has likely improved and rumour was shoulder

3 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Chill guys, I love Brock. I wasn't trying to put him down, that was just to point out how quickly Canucks homers can label another player as "soft" but praise their own similar type of players.

As for Nylander being an ineffective perimeter player, he's more than willing to drive in hard when he needs to. Just watch in power through some checks here.

Anyways, this is a Virtanen thread so I'll stop with this Boeser and WN talk here.

Two clips do not make a career bro - I live just outside Toronto and watch pretty much 75% of their games

He's a perimeter player

Edited by Boeser6

20 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

That would be somewhat akin to selling of stocks in a precious gem mine that has yet to get their soil samples analysed :huh: .

In a sense yes but in the same breath how long does one invest in said stock with no return.

20 hours ago, stawns said:

the opposite.......he creates turnovers and draws penalties like mad.  I love watching him skate.  They just need to put him on lw and I think he blossoms

Should we just start a huge Virtanen to LW campain haha. I always see people on here suggesting it and it totally makes sense but it just hasn't happened yet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I actually thought Nylander was good last night, the best of the three young guys.  Mathews is obviously a solid offensive player and decent in his own end, but I find he's invisible a lot of the time and is not a driver of the play.

He was asleep on the Williams goal (2nd) and gave a good impression of one of the twins. 

14 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

I meant prior to being sent down - he seemed to have some issue physically that has likely improved and rumour was shoulder

Ah, gotcha.  I would agree there.  I think the shoulder, but I also think he was so worried about making sure he was playing a disciplined game that he didn't want to put himself out of position by chasing hits.  He really lost his game in Van

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe_Kerr said:

Should we just start a huge Virtanen to LW campain haha. I always see people on here suggesting it and it totally makes sense but it just hasn't happened yet.

I understand why they want to keep him on the right side, but at some point they just have to face the fact that He is far more effective on lw

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I understand why they want to keep him on the right side, but at some point they just have to face the fact that He is far more effective on lw

defensive positioning- teach him 'how to play the right way' first - make it easier being on the right side given he's a right shot, then move him back to his offwing

Edited by Boeser6
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

WN will have to prove his ability to look as good when it matters (playoffs) vs regular season. That is what seperates good from great. 

His knock is two way play and being a perimeter player.  I cannot argue that he won't overcome this but it is his weakness. There are a lot of players that carve out a good career, make millions and score a lot that you would

never count on the playoffs.  Cough Vrbrata cough. WN's dad was a player just like that. 

Jake will ill have to prove a lot more than WN in the next few years. I still believe Jake is the foreword you want on a playoff team.  

EmW

Just now, Boeser6 said:

defensive positioning

Small potatoes, I've always played my offside for both wing and defense.  It takes some adjustment, but there's some defensive advantages as well.  I agree that's why they are hesitant though

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ah, gotcha.  I would agree there.  I think the shoulder, but I also think he was so worried about making sure he was playing a disciplined game that he didn't want to put himself out of position by chasing hits.  He really lost his game in Van

Jake has had to face some adversity, over the long term it hopefully will make him a much better player. 

Just now, stawns said:

Small potatoes, I've always played my offside for both wing and defense.  It takes some adjustment, but there's some defensive advantages as well.  I agree that's why they are hesitant though

NHL > Beer league bro

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

In a sense yes but in the same breath how long does one invest in said stock with no return.

Once it has been given a chance to show if it can return anything on the initial investment.

This was year one for Virt in the AHL and not even a full year at that. Nylander had parts of 2 years in the AHL before making the leafs near the end of last season ( I think it was near the end and not the start, might be wrong there ) .

Between Virtanens shoulder injury and the odd path his career has taken to this point you have to give him the entirety of next year to get back on track.If he can make it onto the Canucks roster by mid season, great. If he spends the entire year in the AHL, but has a stellar year stats wise, well fantastic, that should mean that he would be ready to join the Canucks for the 18-19 season and be able to finish forming a core of Bo, Boeser, OJ, this years top 5 pick, ect.

Demko is at least 1-2 years away, our D-men still need time to grow as do our forward prospects such as Gaudette/Lockwood ( Even Gaunce needs more time to grow offensively ) . There is zero need for Virtanen on the roster right now. If anything keeping prospects off the team next year gives us a better chance of a top 5 draft pick in a much deeper draft.

• Upvote 2