The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, 250Integra said:

For a 6th overall pick? Not sure about that.

12 seasons with our team, becoming one of the faces of the franchise while being the epitome of hard work and dedication towards your team and city. Worked his way from a 4th line grinder to a first line player picking up almost 70 points in his prime while being a rock defensively. 

At the time of Jake's draft, obviously we were shooting for a first line power forward game changer. At this point a Burrows would be huge. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, 250Integra said:

For a 6th overall pick? Not sure about that.

Plenty of sixth's have had worse careers than Alex:

2012    Hampus Lindholm 
2010    Brett Connolly 
2008    Nikita Filatov
2005    Gilbert Brule
1999    Brian Finley
1998    Rico Fata    
1997    Daniel Tkaczuk
1996    Boyd Devereaux
1995    Steve Kelly
1993    Viktor Kozlov
1992    Cory Stillman
1990    Scott Scissons
1989    Adam Bennett
1988    Scott Pearson
1987    Dave Archibald
1985    Brad Dalgarno
1984    Craig Redmond
1981    Jim Benning

If Jake works hard in this off season and is given a real chance he should be alright, if not, back to the A. 

• Upvote 2

Is it true Jake is playing roller hockey right now? He could use some time with Gary Roberts. If Travis is the coach Jake will at least know what is expected of him. His condition coming into camp this year will tell a lot about what he thinks of his hockey career. I have a Virtanen jersey but it is mighty dusty. 

19 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

2012    Hampus Lindholm 
2010    Brett Connolly 
2008    Nikita Filatov
2005    Gilbert Brule
1999    Brian Finley
1998    Rico Fata    
1997    Daniel Tkaczuk
1996    Boyd Devereaux
1995    Steve Kelly
1993    Viktor Kozlov
1992    Cory Stillman
1990    Scott Scissons
1989    Adam Bennett
1988    Scott Pearson
1987    Dave Archibald
1985    Brad Dalgarno
1984    Craig Redmond
1981    Jim Benning

If Jake works hard in this off season and is given a real chance he should be alright, if not, back to the A. 

Trader Jim!

2 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

I was going to go back further but that seemed like a great place to end the list. Maybe Jake will be an NHL GM some day ;)

The drafts just get worse and worse the further back you go anyways. Drafting and scouting has changed a lot since the 70s.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

The drafts just get worse and worse the further back you go anyways. Drafting and scouting has changed a lot since the 70s.

For Canucks drafting just look at the Gillis era. We were absolutely terrible.  Barely any solid players drafted.  We drafted low, but still. Terrible.

Just now, Adarsh Sant said:

For Canucks drafting just look at the Gillis era. We were absolutely terrible.  Barely any solid players drafted.  We drafted low, but still. Terrible.

I guess, but that was just our team. I was more referring to the NHL as a whole in the 70s. To see some of the guys who made it into the top 5 in some drafts is laughable.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I guess, but that was just our team. I was more referring to the NHL as a whole in the 70s. To see some of the guys who made it into the top 5 in some drafts is laughable.

Yup. For example. 1978 draft. Mike Gillis 5th overall.  Stan Smyl 40th overall.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

12 seasons with our team, becoming one of the faces of the franchise while being the epitome of hard work and dedication towards your team and city. Worked his way from a 4th line grinder to a first line player picking up almost 70 points in his prime while being a rock defensively. 

At the time of Jake's draft, obviously we were shooting for a first line power forward game changer. At this point a Burrows would be huge. 

Burrows was a first liner on this team because he could complement the Sedin's style of play. He would not be a first-line player on any other team in the league (even in his prime).

Don't get me wrong, if Virtanen can bring a Burrows-esque level of hard work and dedication to the game and turn out to be producer without two superstar players, then that would be a success as a 6th overall pick.

21 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

2012    Hampus Lindholm 
2010    Brett Connolly 
2008    Nikita Filatov
2005    Gilbert Brule
1999    Brian Finley
1998    Rico Fata    
1997    Daniel Tkaczuk
1996    Boyd Devereaux
1995    Steve Kelly
1993    Viktor Kozlov
1992    Cory Stillman
1990    Scott Scissons
1989    Adam Bennett
1988    Scott Pearson
1987    Dave Archibald
1985    Brad Dalgarno
1984    Craig Redmond
1981    Jim Benning

How has Hampus Lindholm had a worse career than Alex? his career is just starting and he is one of the top producing d-men in his draft class already.

From that list, I can tell you that Kozlov and Stillman had better careers than Burrows without even looking into the other selections.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Burrows was a first liner on this team because he could complement the Sedin's style of play. He would not be a first-line player on any other team in the league (even in his prime).

Agreeded, he would be a elite 2nd liner on a deep team in his prime. Which is essential his exact role when he was playing on the 2nd line with Kes during the canucks best years. I understand the concept that a 6th overall hoping to be a sure thing first liner. But I fully believe that Jake could be our elite 2nd liner when this team wins the cup in the coming years. At this point, I'm not hoping for a first liner, and I even think that at the time of his draft he wasn't being drafted as such. He was being drafted as a playoff monster, game changing 2nd liner on a cup winning team, a la Burrows. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Don't get me wrong, if Virtanen can bring a Burrows-esque level of hard work and dedication to the game and turn out to be producer without two superstar players, then that would be a success as a 6th overall pick.

How has Hampus Lindholm had a worse career than Alex? his career is just starting and he is one of the top producing d-men in his draft class already.

From that list, I can tell you that Kozlov and Stillman had better careers than Burrows without even looking into the other selections.

Based on? Games, Points, Cups etc? If so, they are virtually the same. Burrows still has a career going on. Stillman has virtually similar numbers. Remember, Alex was NOT a 6th overall pick to which I was referencing with my reply. Lindholm was the throw in to see who would be triggered. Congrats for being the first. 

Your first line could not be more opinion based. You have no idea what or where Burrows could play because it isn't ever going to happen. With that said, Burr has had a better career than a LOT of 6th overalls. 

49 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Agreed Lindholm has also been fantastic defensively and still improving. He will end up with a far better career than Burrows.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see his big league shot and skating shining through in that highlight package. He looked a step ahead of a lot of the D men he was playing against there. my favourite parts were when the other teams tried to hit him, but instead ran into a brick wall, and when he scored the tap in types he immideatly points at the player who made the assist to thank him for the crisp pass. He seems to be progressing and maturing and still has the tool box that made him the 6th o/a.Image result for rick grimes  This kid is gunna make the team. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but He's gunna make the team!

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

Based on? Games, Points, Cups etc? If so, they are virtually the same. Burrows still has a career going on. Stillman has virtually similar numbers. Remember, Alex was NOT a 6th overall pick to which I was referencing with my reply. Lindholm was the throw in to see who would be triggered. Congrats for being the first. 

Your first line could not be more opinion based. You have no idea what or where Burrows could play because it isn't ever going to happen. With that said, Burr has had a better career than a LOT of 6th overalls. 

That doesn't make sense. Why would anyone be triggered by that? What made Alex special was that he carved out a great career with heart and sheer determination. Lindholm is by far the more talented player and he has put together that talent at the NHL level. He will have a much better career than Alex.

30 minutes ago, Hypocritical Cranium said:

Your whole argument is opinion based as well.

Yes, there is no denying that he has had a better career than A LOT of players drafted in the first round, but he benefited from playing alongside two superstar players in their prime. Do you really believe that Burrows would be a first line player on any team without the Sedins? 

Burrows played on a first line, but he is not a "first line player" by any stretch. He has never been a driving force of any line, even when he was playing with Kesler. This is the type of player we drafted and hope Virtanen will be. A player that can dominant games using his shot, speed, and strength while being responsible in all zones.

Edited by 250Integra
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Your whole argument is opinion based as well.

Yes, there is no denying that he has had a better career than A LOT of players drafted in the first round, but he benefited from playing alongside two superstar players in their prime. Do you really believe that Burrows would be a first line player on any team without the Sedins? 

Burrows played on a first line, but he is not a "first line player" by any stretch.He has never been a driving force of any line, even when he was playing with Kesler. This is the type of player we drafted and hope Virtanen will be. A player that can dominant games using his shot, speed, and strength while being responsible in all zones.

Its like referring to Kesler as a 40 goal scorer because he feasted on a ridiculously good PP unit.