The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 2017-5-4 at 10:48 AM, fanfor42 said:

Virtanen Will make the Canucks opening roster. His biggest detractor was Willy. Benning and Green and the fanbase want to see him play. 

Up to him if he can stay up. I'm betting yes with Green coaching him. 

Yea he really tore it up in the AHL without Willy dragging him down eh. Let's just let him figure out the AHL first before rushing him in again.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, BoesersFlow said:

Just met Jake Virtanen at the Thomas Rhett concert in Abbotsford and we chatted for 20 minutes. 

Some of the stuff is forsure off the record but in general what a great guy. Down the earth, knows what his offseason goals are. He met with Trevor this morning 1 on 1 and have devised a offseason plan for him. He's currently sitting at 209 and the Canucks want him at 215 of Muscle this season.

Kid seems motivated to show everybody what he can do and when Travis G got the job he was very excited because he says Travis believes in him.

Looking forward to seeing what Jake can do this season, hopefully he can join the team for the full 82.

Interesting that he divulged so much to you. Thanks for sharing. Can I ask how old you are?

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

I seem to read a lot in CDC that Jake possess no or low hockey IQ. Has this ever been mentioned by his former coaches, team members, notable or distinguished journalists(if there is such a thing)?

Most coaches and players wouldn't rip on their own teammates, even if they are only former teammates. As for the journalists, would someone claiming that Jake has a low hockey IQ disqualify them as a distinguished journalist?

1 hour ago, Western Red said:

Interesting that he divulged so much to you. Thanks for sharing. Can I ask how old you are?

What does age have to do with it?

22 hours ago, BoesersFlow said:

Just met Jake Virtanen at the Thomas Rhett concert in Abbotsford and we chatted for 20 minutes. 

Some of the stuff is forsure off the record but in general what a great guy. Down the earth, knows what his offseason goals are. He met with Trevor this morning 1 on 1 and have devised a offseason plan for him. He's currently sitting at 209 and the Canucks want him at 215 of Muscle this season.

Kid seems motivated to show everybody what he can do and when Travis G got the job he was very excited because he says Travis believes in him.

Looking forward to seeing what Jake can do this season, hopefully he can join the team for the full 82.

not surprised by what you said. I personally know 3 other people like you, who met him. and they all said the same thing.  He's friendly, down to earth professional.

• Upvote 1

Looking forward, I think Horvat and Boeser are going to be a great fit on the same line for a while and throw Baertschi into that mix. There's our 1st or 2nd line sorted.

That leaves Virtanen to fill either a top-6 role with the upcoming 2017 center draftee or as a third liner. 

Lets look at this 2017 draft with the hope of drafting a playmaker with high hockey IQ who can complement Virtanen's size and skating and shot. Someone like Mittelstatd, Glass or Vilardi would work well with Virtanen.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:38 PM, BoesersFlow said:

32 and a Canucks season ticket member if that does anything for you.

People here can't stand it when someone gets some insider info, they go bonkers, jealousy I suppose, but  I still find it very odd behavior.

Personally, I say thanks for sharing that, and I take people at their word until they give me a reason not to. I'm also going to assume you have better things to do with your time then make up stories about meeting Jake f$%king Virtannen, I sincerely hope everyone else does as well,  

Did he mention anything about how closely his workouts will be monitored throughout the summer? Or did you get the impression it was up to him?

Also, I'm not a fan of this micro-managing an athletes weights, Igor Larionov's book has a great section in it where he talks about refusing to lift weights as the Soviet trainers wanted him to be stronger, he said (paraphrase) "I'm training for hockey not weightlifting, Why not train for what I'm actually doing on the ice and let my body find it's own ideal weight"

In Jakes case I would prefer to hear about him doing on ice drills to instill muscle memory in all different situations so he isn't thinking out there, he's already strong, lack of hockey IQ which basically means not knowing the right play at the right time, or having to think about it are his main weakness, that and in game endurance.

Approximating game scenarios and drilling them over and over, along with long controlled scrimmages would build his "Hockey IQ" and his hockey (different from stair-master) Cardio. The thing is, you can't add muscle and train like that at the same time,

I'm a little concerned now that he'll be pumping iron all summer be the same player only bigger,

Great to hear about the attitude, but the fact that adding muscle is #1 means he can't do a lot of cardio or heavy on ice work, the muscle would come right off again,

I hope everyone knows what they are doing, this kid came in under-skilled not under-sized, why is he working on his size?

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

People here can't stand it when someone gets some insider info, they go bonkers, jealousy I suppose, but  I still find it very odd behavior.

Personally, I say thanks for sharing that, and I take people at their word until they give me a reason not to. I'm also going to assume you have better things to do with your time then make up stories about meeting Jake f$%king Virtannen, I sincerely hope everyone else does as well,  

Did he mention anything about how closely his workouts will be monitored throughout the summer? Or did you get the impression it was up to him?

Also, I'm not a fan of this micro-managing an athletes weights, Igor Larionov's book has a great section in it where he talks about refusing to lift weights as the Soviet trainers wanted him to be stronger, he said (paraphrase) "I'm training for hockey not weightlifting, Why not train for what I'm actually doing on the ice and let my body find it's own ideal weight"

In Jakes case I would prefer to hear about him doing on ice drills to instill muscle memory in all different situations so he isn't thinking out there, he's already strong, lack of hockey IQ which basically means not knowing the right play at the right time, or having to think about it are his main weakness, that and in game endurance.

Approximating game scenarios and drilling them over and over, along with long controlled scrimmages would build his "Hockey IQ" and his hockey (different from stair-master) Cardio. The thing is, you can't add muscle and train like that at the same time,

I'm a little concerned now that he'll be pumping iron all summer be the same player only bigger,

Great to hear about the attitude, but the fact that adding muscle is #1 means he can't do a lot of cardio or heavy on ice work, the muscle would come right off again,

I hope everyone knows what they are doing, this kid came in under-skilled not under-sized, why is he working on his size?

Great points D.  There are a number of articles on the net about improving young player's hockey sense through the repetition of game scenarios.  I suspect that his time in Utica has been utilized for that purpose.

I'm not sure about the muscle building being that much of a priority, as according to BoesersFlow, Jake said that the management want him around 215lbs and he's currently only 6lbs lighter. 

I agree that cardio is extremely important for a player like Virt.  His speed is the key to his game and he needs to be able to sustain it for each and every shift he takes.

I hope everyone knows what their doing as well.  Especially JV.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

He didn't mention off ice workouts or how they are monitored, so I'm no help there. I got the impression that the weight they want him to show up at is conducive to where they want him for speed. That is the perfect spot for him. I mentioned how Bo got the crazy leg speed from season to season  and he mentioned how he saw Bo ripped in the dressing room working out every day to get ready for next season. Nothing more came of that conversation.

I got the feeling the Canucks see Jake as a 3rd line winger who can hit 40 points, 80 Pims and bang and crash + 2 way hockey,

1 minute ago, BoesersFlow said:

He didn't mention off ice workouts or how they are monitored, so I'm no help there. I got the impression that the weight they want him to show up at is conducive to where they want him for speed. That is the perfect spot for him. I mentioned how Bo got the crazy leg speed from season to season  and he mentioned how he saw Bo ripped in the dressing room working out every day to get ready for next season. Nothing more came of that conversation.

I got the feeling the Canucks see Jake as a 3rd line winger who can hit 40 points, 80 Pims and bang and crash + 2 way hockey,

Thank god Virtanen isn't a pylon. Virtanen's probably the fastest player on our team.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

For hitting I think working the shoulders is needed.  Kenin's shoulders gave out on him and he left the league..  Hansen got a shoulder injury a few years back and never quite hit as much or as hard. 

JV already has a bad shoulder