The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I don't think Jake could be any worse then a third liner in the future. To much speed, size and skill. Hoping he can be a bigger Hansen or maybe a Lucic type player in his prime. This league is getting faster and Jake fits right into that mold.

We all know that making the statement "any worse than" is a dangerous game.

Anything could go wrong in his development at this point. A player can have all the skill and potential int he world,but if they don't have the commitment they're not gonna make it very far. 

Virtanen is at that critical turning point in his career. The right coach could make all the difference.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We all know that making the statement "any worse than" is a dangerous game.

Anything could go wrong in his development at this point. A player can have all the skill and potential int he world,but if they don't have the commitment they're not gonna make it very far. 

Virtanen is at that critical turning point in his career. The right coach could make all the difference.

True, but my feeling is he has the drive and showed that at the end of this season. I think he will be in Utica to start the year and will break out offensive wise. Assuming he has a decent summer and doesn't do what he did last summer he will have a good next year in the AHL with NHL call-ups.

On 3/9/2017 at 1:48 PM, Warhippy said:

Don't argue with Alf.

You'll start making serious sense with irrefutable arguments and he'll resort to some namby pamby anecdote about being from another planet and not someone who is just genuinely without wclue of what they are speaking of only to revisit the argument a week later.

It got old pretty quickly

Alf is one of the few posters on here that has the ability to see things from the perspective of whoever disagrees with him, he also has a healthy enough ego that he doesn't throw a  tantrum if he decides that other view point has more merit.

We disagree often but I have never had a problem having a debate with him, sometimes he's shown me I'm wrong, either way it never turns into a hissy fit or gets personal. He (Or she) is fun to talk hockey with and I there isn't much more I would ask of a CDC poster.

I think Alf starts with the "Nonsensical" stuff when people start taking things personally and pitching tantrums. It's his way of saying "Not interested in B.S"

I've never had Alf say anything like that to me. In fact, Alf has always had hard facts to back up his or her point.

Don't sweat the haters Alf

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I'm guessing if Virtanen - Valk - Goldobin was lined up on the first line all season that Virt would have had plenty of points. I wouldn't worry yet, this season was used to teach him a valuable lesson.,

You do know you point is based on utter fantasy right? And you are also aware that there are hard facts that you projected your fantasy over right? And you also must be aware that the Canucks didn't pull him aside and say "Jake, you're fat and unmotivated so you're not allowed to score this year, next year you can score 30 in the NHL, but this year no AHL scoring, ok?"

Try projections based on what is really happening rather than daydreams

Jake was not an effective AHL player this year, that is a fact, what happens next know one knows, but the betting odds aren't good.

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2017 at 3:03 AM, messier's_elbow said:

It looks like the light bulb is finally going off for Jake. When Green becomes the next Canucks coach, he will already have a great repor and know what the coach wants. Jake will be a valuable piece to this team, especially with a physical presence like Tryamkin bailing. 

Please explain this "Lightbulb" going off, it certainly wasn't the goal light , so I'm not sure what you're referring to?

1 minute ago, terrible.dee said:

Please explain this "Lightbulb" going off, it certainly wasn't the goal light , so I'm not sure what you're referring to?

He got in good shape and started playing a better 2way game. He was raw when we drafted him, not going to be an overnight success. If your mad about the pick I suggest you be mad at Benning, Linden and Francesco. 

8 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

You do know you point is based on utter fantasy right? And you are also aware that there are hard facts that you projected your fantasy over right? And you also must be aware that the Canucks didn't pull him aside and say "Jake, you're fat and unmotivated so you're not allowed to score this year, next year you can score 30 in the NHL, but this year no AHL scoring, ok?"

Jake was not an effective AHL player this year, that is a fact, what happens next know one knows, but the betting odds aren't good.

They did take Jake aside though and say "Jake, we want you to play at a lower weight. We know you want to play top line minutes but we need you to figure out both sides of the game and as such, you won't be playing top line minutes until you have that down."

Sorry bud, but you just aren't right this time. Hence why so many people agree with what I had to say.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Green knows all about reinventing a players game, he had to do it himself.

He's the right guy to speak to Virtanen about making the next level, we'll see how well Jake responds to his advice. I just hope he doesn't revert into a 4th line grinder, because there's more to his game than that. His speed and shot alone make him a offensive threat, The only thing for him is being engaged (physically) and being on the right side of the puck.

If Virtanen adds more physicality to his game I think he can play in the NHL. He does not have to be a scrapper but does need the hits.

Statistically its not looking good there's no doubt. Jim Benning said he's never faced adversity before. I think he has the ability to play, he wasn't bad later on in his rookie year, but its up to him and how hard he works to get prepared. 

If he does make it next year he needs to play LW though. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Statistically its not looking good there's no doubt. Jim Benning said he's never faced adversity before. I think he has the ability to play, he wasn't bad later on in his rookie year, but its up to him and how hard he works to get prepared. 

If he does make it next year he needs to play LW though. 

Agreed. This is where I think hiring Green will be a good thing going forward for the Canucks.

He seems a bit more adaptable then ol Willie D .

If something is not working instead of tempting insanity and repeating it over and over hopping for something different he changes it up.

Also, again this year was a write off points wise for Virtanen. He had to drop a good number of pounds. Relearn his timing, work on his positioning, intensity and compete level all while trying to build offensive confidence.

If he does play another year in the AHL I think a 30 goal 20 assist campaign is not out of the question for him. If he makes the Canucks to stat the year I could see 15 G's 15 A's. Which for a player of his nature is something that can be built on as the team gets deeper, even younger and more skilled.

• Upvote 2

Got this off of the HF Virtanen thread...

Only two other first round draft picks have scored at the rate V has in the AHL and made the NHL. One of those players was Ben Eager.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=131557947&postcount=937

That's depressing but it shows how much work he needs to put in if he wants to carve out a successful career in the NHL. At the very least you need to be able to score at the AHL level if you want to make it, even as a 4th liner in today's game you need to be able to produce.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

That's depressing but it shows how much work he needs to put in if he wants to carve out a successful career in the NHL. At the very least you need to be able to score at the AHL level if you want to make it, even as a 4th liner in today's game you need to be able to produce.

Yes, but he has had 1, count them 1 AHL season, even at that it was a 3/4 season.

The Comets struggled to score all season long, it was not just Virtanen, it was a team wide lack of skill.

Demko was winning them 1-0 games FFS.

He had his entire game deconstructed down to the basics by Green. In the long run it was for the best, but his focus was not putting up points, when some points did come it was simply a bonus of playing the right way every second of every game.

Even Green has noted that Jake was snake bitten for large portions of the season and if he had been getting the bounces he would have put up much more respectable numbers.

Everyone complains he should have been in the AHL last year ( even though he couldn't ) and then this year its that he didn't do well enough. He lost a year of development and confidence.

For Christs sake . . . . . . . . . . . .

Edited by R35Godz1lla
  • Upvote 4

I'll be far more concerned if Virtanen, now that he has a better idea of how to train and play like a pro and (hopefully) has some more skilled players to play with next year, doesn't improve his numbers. By all means I'll start getting my feet up on the 'bust' train at that point.

This past year was basically a write off of rebuilding him/his game and not much in the way of skill for him to complement in Utica regardless of him turning himself around for the last 1/3'ish of the year.

• Upvote 1

On April 28, 2017 at 4:47 AM, terrible.dee said:

TD,

Thinking that Jake would have produced more points with better line mates is not fanasty.  It's logical and makes sense.  You just posted about people taking umbrage to ALF and throwing tantrums and then proceed to belittle a poster that has a different POV than you do... I sense some irony in that.  

Jake seems to have figured out his biggest road block to success, how to train and prepare properly for the pro game.  His fitness notably improved and if that was the key thing holding him back, he has shown that he can beat it.  It would stand toreador if he now has whooped his conditioning problem that he may now be able to produce at a much better rate than before, especially if he gets more productive linemates.  

EmW

3 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Agreed. This is where I think hiring Green will be a good thing going forward for the Canucks.

He seems a bit more adaptable then ol Willie D .

If something is not working instead of tempting insanity and repeating it over and over hopping for something different he changes it up.

Also, again this year was a write off points wise for Virtanen. He had to drop a good number of pounds. Relearn his timing, work on his positioning, intensity and compete level all while trying to build offensive confidence.

If he does play another year in the AHL I think a 30 goal 20 assist campaign is not out of the question for him. If he makes the Canucks to stat the year I could see 15 G's 15 A's. Which for a player of his nature is something that can be built on as the team gets deeper, even younger and more skilled.

I believe Green has already said he wants him on RW, which is unfortunate

2 hours ago, Toews said:

his line had several high quality scoring chances every game after Christmas.  They truly were snake bitten, and more often than not, they were the best [players on the ice for either team.  

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It would stand toreador if he now has whooped his conditioning problem that he may now be able to produce at a much better rate than before, especially if he gets more productive linemates.  

Not just productive but play drivers.

Virtanen is like a dictionary complimentary player. He can use his speed/size/hitting/shot to create space for play driving line mates to either allow them to make plays to him/get the puck back to them and then go to the net to bang in rebounds. He's also VERY good at takeways, again doing that and getting the puck to play driving line mates is key.

A fit at the start of the year Virtanen with a better idea on the pace and battle he needs to play with and more skilled line mates should do wonders to his numbers. I'd be shocked if he doesn't vastly improve under those conditions next season.

Hopefully we see some mix of Dahlen, Goldobin, Zhikenov, Valk etc available for him to play with.

• Upvote 1