The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It would stand toreador if he now has whooped his conditioning problem that he may now be able to produce at a much better rate than before, especially if he gets more productive linemates.  

Not just productive but play drivers.

Virtanen is like a dictionary complimentary player. He can use his speed/size/hitting/shot to create space for play driving line mates to either allow them to make plays to him/get the puck back to them and then go to the net to bang in rebounds. He's also VERY good at takeways, again doing that and getting the puck to play driving line mates is key.

A fit at the start of the year Virtanen with a better idea on the pace and battle he needs to play with and more skilled line mates should do wonders to his numbers. I'd be shocked if he doesn't vastly improve under those conditions next season.

Hopefully we see some mix of Dahlen, Goldobin, Zhikenov, Valk etc available for him to play with.

• Upvote 1

I really like the idea of him with a guy like Zhuke.  It might bring out his protective side and I would be happy to see him standing up for his teammates.  

If Zhuke does sign, whew... We are weak at center and need a guy like him.  

Utica could be a completely rebuilt team next year with the class coming in.  Competition in training camp will be good for the entire franchise.  Our younger players will be looking to impress Green.  

The biggest question is who is going to coach Utica?  

On 2017-04-30 at 10:10 AM, TU90 said:

Hope he's taking this summer super seriously. We need him.

That's exactly what I said to him when I saw him last. 

Before he was immature and raw, a man child who got a large some of money and forgot how hard you need to work. It's not a junior league, where you can float and still be a stud. Also his coaching in Calgary sucked balls. It's too bad he couldn't have gone under Green his +2 year. Having Green as head coach will probably benifit Virtanen more then anyone. They have a good relationship going together and Jake won't be so nervous and unsure on the ice.

Virtanen looked like he was in great shape when I saw him. I have a feeling his trajectory will go up from here on in. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

That's exactly what I said to him when I saw him last. 

What did he say in response? 

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Green was asked about Jake still having top 6 potential and he completely side stepped the question, he also went on to explain that even 10 goal scorers are still useful.  

After seeing Green in interviews since being hired, I think it's more likely that his comments of calling Jake out are his way to motivate V18 into proving him wrong, rather than him not believing Jake can be a 25 goal scorer. In fact, Green did mention in his hiring presser how he likes to turn 15 goal scorers into 25 goal scorers.

Edited by Jester13

It was about developing pro habits this year for Jake. Pro prep, pro fitness and pro discipline. 

I do do wonder if this debate would have been quieter if Jake was left in Calgary for one more year. He would have dominated junior and might have had momentum going into his first pro season. It seems the year in Van left him entitled going into year two and it showed. 

Greens tough love approach seems to have gotten thru to Jake in regards to fitness and attention to two way play. Let's see if that caries on to his point production. 

EmW 

• Upvote 2

There's a real strong CDC consensus for the "do not want" pick this year being Michael Rasmussen. Wonder if it has anything to do with our experience with Jake considering Rasmussen is a big hometown forward in the WHL putting up numbers similar to Jake, 50gp 32g 23a

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

The Jake haters seemed to have subsided a bit which is nice. They will all be silenced after Jake is fully matured and in the playoffs, levelling guys. 

Don't spark one of those Jake discussions if you don't want one. He's done everything but silence his "haters." 

1 hour ago, Butters Stoch said:

There's a real strong CDC consensus for the "do not want" pick this year being Michael Rasmussen. Wonder if it has anything to do with our experience with Jake considering Rasmussen is a big hometown forward in the WHL putting up numbers similar to Jake, 50gp 32g 23a

I'm not saying that Jake won't be a good NHL player, but he clearly wasn't the best pick at #5 in a strong draft year.  The team was desperate to pick a player that the fans could get excited about and acquiring a 'hometown boy' would fit that bill.  In retrospect, being the 'hometown boy' may have had a detrimental effect on Jake's career.

Rasmussen will likely be a decent NHL player, but is clearly not a guy that gets picked at #5.  JB has to pick the very best player available this year, or he may find himself in his last year as GM.

He will most likely come out of the draft with a very good player at #5, but I am certain that there will be lots of complaints about whoever he picks.  Such is the way of CDC.

9 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It was about developing pro habits this year for Jake. Pro prep, pro fitness and pro discipline. 

I do do wonder if this debate would have been quieter if Jake was left in Calgary for one more year. He would have dominated junior and might have had momentum going into his first pro season. It seems the year in Van left him entitled going into year two and it showed. 

Greens tough love approach seems to have gotten thru to Jake in regards to fitness and attention to two way play. Let's see if that caries on to his point production. 

EmW 

I sometimes wonder the same about Jake and if he'd spent another year in Calgary. However, there's really no guarantee he'd have benefited (and IMO it really could have gone either way). 

At the time, there were lots of people expressing concerns (some overreaction but some warranted) that his development was possibly being compromised and that the sooner he got away from the Hitmen the better.

Then there's the fact that some of his weight and conditioning issues seemed to be evident (especially in hindsight) while he was in Calgary. Lots of reports of him being far above his ideal playing weight. IIRC some even had him playing around 20 lbs heavier than he should have been. Which suggests his diet and training were far from optimal, even while under the direct supervision of the Hitmen during the season.

The Canucks seemed intent on "taking control" of Jake and keeping him under their watchful eye. And still he had issues here. Would that have been any different in Calgary?

Seems to me that Jake needed to get his reality check at some point and I'm not sure it happens for him unless he goes through an early failure at the NHL level. So maybe another year with the Hitmen just delays the whole process?

Hard to say really. But it's not like his development was trending at that well in Calgary. Maybe that would have turned around with another season of junior? Or maybe it just would have given Jake another year to further ingrain some already bad habits? 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I sometimes wonder the same about Jake and if he'd spent another year in Calgary. However, there's really no guarantee he'd have benefited (and IMO it really could have gone either way). 

At the time, there were lots of people expressing concerns (some overreaction but some warranted) that his development was possibly being compromised and that the sooner he got away from the Hitmen the better.

Then there's the fact that some of his weight and conditioning issues seemed to be evident (especially in hindsight) while he was in Calgary. Lots of reports of him being far above his ideal playing weight. IIRC some even had him playing around 20 lbs heavier than he should have been. Which suggests his diet and training were far from optimal, even while under the direct supervision of the Hitmen during the season.

The Canucks seemed intent on "taking control" of Jake and keeping him under their watchful eye. And still he had issues here. Would that have been any different in Calgary?

Seems to me that Jake needed to get his reality check at some point and I'm not sure it happens for him unless he goes through an early failure at the NHL level. So maybe another year with the Hitmen just delays the whole process?

Hard to say really. But it's not like his development was trending at that well in Calgary. Maybe that would have turned around with another season of junior? Or maybe it just would have given Jake another year to further ingrain some already bad habits? 

That's my read as well. Particularly the underlined.

Canucks certainly could have handled his year here better though (more tough love and structure) IMO, at least looking from the outside.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

The Jake haters seemed to have subsided a bit which is nice. They will all be silenced after Jake is fully matured and in the playoffs, levelling guys. 

Case in point see Austin of Nashville - 1st round pick 2010 - now demolishing in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Don't spark one of those Jake discussions if you don't want one. He's done everything but silence his "haters." 

We'll he certainly hasn't silenced anyone and I don't think he will until he puts in a solid season in the NHL. However even the biggest detractors of Virtanen have to agree this year was a step forward for him. I believe he will only improve further under the tutelage of Green even if it takes a couple years to reach his potential.  I keep going back to the Andrew Ladd comparison if he continues to trend upwards which would be am invaluable piece to the Canucks future. He'd be able to play anywhere in the lineup and be a complimentary player in the top 6. Patience has almost become a curse word around these parts but it is what's needed. I see so much potential in Jake as well the plethora of prospects we have or will have next year that myself as a fan am extremely excited. Be patient with this team of youngsters I think they will surprise a lot of people next year and moving forward. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

That's my read as well. Particularly the underlined.

Canucks certainly could have handled his year here better though (more tough love and structure) IMO, at least looking from the outside.

Well that's what the ahl is for, unfortunately Jake skipped a step that he needed. 

NHL coaches don't have time for making sure certain players get special treatment.

He needed the ahl, that's what they do down there. Thankfully he spent a year with green there, another full season will do him good (given the right coach).