The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Agreed. I think we see him splitting games between here and Utica. This season will be a big development year for Virt. He seemed to highly respect Green so I could see him pushing hard to spend as much time in Van as possible. 

Yes, it seems Green got through to him, and there is no doubt, he will be pushing hard to be back in the big show again. Think he needed time away from the limelight, and to spend time with a coach, who could get him back to basics. Can't wait to see him back with the Canucks. He has a potential nobody else on our forward lines has.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-05-10 at 8:19 AM, TimberWolf said:

Best way I heard it was that he had the upper body of a fit 225 pounder

If there was any body fat on this test it was under his fingernails:

pavel-bure1.jpg

Looking at this picture, it looks like he has no more than 10 percent body fat. You can see his well-defined ab muscles due to the fact that there's next to no fat, yet his physique is sustainable.

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

What were his facial expressions as he ate?  Did he put his drink on the left or right side of his sandwich? What kind of bread did he use?  And most importantly - was it toasted?  Dammit, I need closure on this anecdote!

1 hour ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I heard someone saw him downtown eating a meatball sub.

If it was Subway he should not make the team next year for that alone. 

• Upvote 2

Personally, I've just about given up on JV developing into the Canucks version of Wayne Simmonds. But, SOMEONE eventually needs to. But, I was also encouraged by Green at his introductory presser when he was asked about JV and offered that he could be just as effective with lowered expectations. If he doesn't develop into that elusive top-6 RW power forward that CDC (myself included) has been pining for, would it be so awful if he developed instead into a bottom-6 RW agitator/enforcer who, as Green said, can give the team a solid 10-12 goals? Doesn't that sound like a younger and cheaper Derek Dorsett? If he can bring to this team what Matthew Tkachuk brings to his, I wouldn't complain. 

Edited by Fakename70
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Personally, I've just about given up on JV developing into the Canucks version of Wayne Simmonds. But, SOMEONE eventually needs to. But, I was also encouraged by Green at his introductory presser when he was asked about JV and offered that he could be just as effective with lowered expectations. If he doesn't develop into that elusive top-6 RW power forward that CDC (myself included) has been pining for, would it be so awful if he developed instead into a bottom-6 RW enforcer who, as Green said, can give the team a solid 10-12 goals? Doesn't that sound like a younger and cheaper Derek Dorsett?

At this point we will take anything as long as he isn't hurting the team.

39 minutes ago, cyoung said:

At this point we will take anything as long as he isn't hurting the team.

At this point?!   OMG.  This is a kid still.   The impatience on this board is insane.  Not everyone translates to the professional ranks at same rate.  Sure he could be a bust BUT few prospects anywhere in the league have his combination of speed, size and overall toughness - and good hands.   If you are looking to write someone off, at least let him have his 21st birthday in the rearview mirror.

Sheesh.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

At this point?!   OMG.  This is a kid still.   The impatience on this board is insane.  Not everyone translates to the professional ranks at same rate.  Sure he could be a bust BUT few prospects anywhere in the league have his combination of speed, size and overall toughness - and good hands.   If you are looking to write someone off, at least let him have his 21st birthday in the rearview mirror.

Sheesh.

Relax, I meant we as in cdc. 

With his struggles people are just hoping that he can plug himself into the lineup and be effective whether it's line 1 or line 4. Even as a call up. I'm not saying he's hopeless in any way. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

What were his facial expressions as he ate?  Did he put his drink on the left or right side of his sandwich? What kind of bread did he use?  And most importantly - was it toasted?  Dammit, I need closure on this anecdote!

He had tears in his eyes, but not depressed and sad, more like seeing a long lost friend. He paired this sub with a classic cherry pepsi, double squirted with cherry and come on man, we all know he's a left handed drinker. If you didn't know that then you ought to cheer for the flames or something. The bread was a surprise to me, I expected him to go with his usual whole wheat but the guy went straight for Herbs and Cheese. Bring on the carbs right? WRONG, he immediately scraped off all the good stuff. 

Double toasted brah.

Let's break it down:

Meatball sub with Baer Cheese

Onions? A Tanev onions.

Then tomato, then lettuce. Virt hates when the lettuce is Sedin sauce.

- at this point the sandwich artist started to put lettuce on, Virt jumps in and says "DID I SUTTER??! CHAPUT THE TOMATO ON FIRST!"

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sheesh.

Although that is true, you can't teach hockey IQ. You either have it or you don't. 

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

Although that is true, you can't teach hockey IQ. You either have it or you don't. 

Agreed but you can teach a kid with high hockey IQ how to be a professional and that is what the Canuck's are doing with this kid.   

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed but you can teach a kid with high hockey IQ how to be a professional and that is what the Canuck's are doing with this kid.   

I think you can train smarts. 

Virtanen doesnt have the the best mental toolbox, but he can understand his role and perform within it.

Teaching defense is one thing, teaching him to keep his head up is another, making plays a third, and everything else will fall into place.

He's not and never will be a playmaker, but he'll be fine with his "IQ" provided he's deployed accordingly.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

He had tears in his eyes, but not depressed and sad, more like seeing a long lost friend. He paired this sub with a classic cherry pepsi, double squirted with cherry and come on man, we all know he's a left handed drinker. If you didn't know that then you ought to cheer for the flames or something. The bread was a surprise to me, I expected him to go with his usual whole wheat but the guy went straight for Herbs and Cheese. Bring on the carbs right? WRONG, he immediately scraped off all the good stuff. 

Double toasted brah.

Let's break it down:

Meatball sub with Baer Cheese

Onions? A Tanev onions.

Then tomato, then lettuce. Virt hates when the lettuce is Sedin sauce.

- at this point the sandwich artist started to put lettuce on, Virt jumps in and says "DID I SUTTER??! CHAPUT THE TOMATO ON FIRST!"

Ok jared from subway calm down. Dont need to "chaput" your pants over this

• Upvote 2