Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW


avelanch

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He was both, but appeared most effective (offensively, especially off the rush) on the left side.  He seems to see the ice better from his off wing.

huh. well that might make for some interesting line combo's next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

huh. well that might make for some interesting line combo's next season. 

I watched most of his Utica games, and loved him on the left side, especially after he got into shape.  I sure hope Green plays Jake there next season, and let's the kid just go for it.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I watched most of his Utica games, and loved him on the left side, especially after he got into shape.  I sure hope Green plays Jake there next season, and let's the kid just go for it.  

it would be great if he had some chemistry with Sutter. Virtanen-Sutter-Goldy line? Size, speed, decent D from Sutter and a talented scoring winger?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

it would be great if he had some chemistry with Sutter. Virtanen-Sutter-Goldy line? Size, speed, decent D from Sutter and a talented scoring winger?

I feel like if the Canucks want Jake to play 'big' it would only be fair to have some support.   IMO trading Tanev for another young, big, physical and good skating forward might be the ideal winger for that line, and the line up desperately needs it anyways.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Moosecanuckle08 said:

I've seen a lot of hate for botchford on these sites but I think he's pretty accurate with his write up on virtanen.  Virt still possesses the raw God given talent that shpuld serve him well in a few years. Far too talented to be number 10 on anyone's list.

The road to regular employment in the NHL is littered with highly talented prospects who had great junior careers but couldn't take the next step. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, suitup said:

Really do hope he sticks this year and prove everybody wrong. Botch is right, we really do need his size, speed, and physicality. I hope Virtanen has a good summer and is ready to fight for a spot on the third line. 

I think he still has things to learn and would prefer he spent at least pay off this year in Utica. 

 

He can get call ups with injuries and after moving more vets at the TDL.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If nothing else the current CUP playoffs should bring home the stark Canuck reality. They are no where close to being big enough. Virtanen has to work out even if as a bottom 6 player. Still confident that a kid with his size and speed can evolve his game to the NHL level.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If nothing else the current CUP playoffs should bring home the stark Canuck reality. They are no where close to being big enough. Virtanen has to work out even if as a bottom 6 player. Still confident that a kid with his size and speed can evolve his game to the NHL level.  

When you say big, do you mean plays big, or is big?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When you say big, do you mean plays big, or is big?

Depends what you mean by 'plays big'? Physically we all know he is a specimen at 215 pounds. Playing big in my mind is at a minimum a Virtanen who can finish his checks and play a physical game that can maintain puck possession using his size. Not that concerned about ppg like so many CDC fans. I will be very happy if Jake can play a role similar to Zach Kassian in Edmonton. Yes, some offense but mostly a hitter who can PK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Depends what you mean by 'plays big'? Physically we all know he is a specimen at 215 pounds. Playing big in my mind is at a minimum a Virtanen who can finish his checks and play a physical game that can maintain puck possession using his size. Not that concerned about ppg like so many CDC fans. I will be very happy if Jake can play a role similar to Zach Kassian in Edmonton. Yes, some offense but mostly a hitter who can PK.

I would love if Jake can play like Rypien.  He wasn't the biggest guy, but (man!) he could change a game.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Depends what you mean by 'plays big'? Physically we all know he is a specimen at 215 pounds. Playing big in my mind is at a minimum a Virtanen who can finish his checks and play a physical game that can maintain puck possession using his size. Not that concerned about ppg like so many CDC fans. I will be very happy if Jake can play a role similar to Zach Kassian in Edmonton. Yes, some offense but mostly a hitter who can PK.

The high scoring players chosen after Jake in the draft will always be regarded as better picks, as scoring is something the team required most.  But...a physical presence that is fast, a great hitter and will crash the net at will, is also a huge need for the team.

 

He's still a project, but in time he may be end up becoming a significant player for this team.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

I think he still has things to learn and would prefer he spent at least pay off this year in Utica. 

 

He can get call ups with injuries and after moving more vets at the TDL.

Same. Expressed the same sentiments in earlier posts. I suppose I am hoping he surprises and challenges if he transforms into a monster this summer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, suitup said:

Same. Expressed the same sentiments in earlier posts. I suppose I am hoping he surprises and challenges if he transforms into a monster this summer. 

Oh I think he'll look a LOT better at camp/preseason just from being in proper hockey shape now and starting to figure out how he has to play each and every shift thanks to his time with Green and Co in Utica last year.

 

But I'm wagering he could still stand to refine what he started to learn last year (pace, pursuit, pressure, positioning, battle etc) and then add/build more offense to those things as well.

Edited by J.R.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Think we will all be pleasantly surprised by Virtanen this Summer. Being sent down to the AHL, is the best thing that could happen to him.

Agreed. I think we see him splitting games between here and Utica. This season will be a big development year for Virt. He seemed to highly respect Green so I could see him pushing hard to spend as much time in Van as possible. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Agreed. I think we see him splitting games between here and Utica. This season will be a big development year for Virt. He seemed to highly respect Green so I could see him pushing hard to spend as much time in Van as possible. 

 Yes, it seems Green got through to him, and there is no doubt, he will be pushing hard to be back in the big show again. Think he needed time away from the limelight, and to spend time with a coach, who could get him back to basics. Can't wait to see him back with the Canucks. He has a potential nobody else on our forward lines has.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...