The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Hope they move him to LW next year, I think he'll be a lot more effective (and comfortable) playing on that side.  Not sure how roller hockey helps with training but hopefully he knows what he's doing and doesn't blow his knee out or something.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hope they move him to LW next year, I think he'll be a lot more effective (and comfortable) playing on that side.  Not sure how roller hockey helps with training but hopefully he knows what he's doing and doesn't blow his knee out or something.

Roller hockey is how Burrows stayed in shape in off-season and is how he claimed he got his first-step speed as you cannot "cheat" and need to use your core to generate the push.   It seems a good off-season activity for any player as long, as you correctly note, injury doesn't result.

35 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Roller hockey is how Burrows stayed in shape in off-season and is how he claimed he got his first-step speed as you cannot "cheat" and need to use your core to generate the push.   It seems a good off-season activity for any player as long, as you correctly note, injury doesn't result.

I'm just hoping guys don't target him for being the pro NHLer.  I had some friends who played roller on the island with Jamie Benn (before he became a star) and they said guys kept trying to run him or fight him.  Benn had to quite the league after a couple games.

Agreed.    One reason many of us who played at any level let alone in NHL never go into beer league etc.   Look what happened to Ryan Smith.   People forget that there is a difference between doing something as recreation and something you do for your living - when you threaten someone in the latter category, not cool at all.  

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I'm just hoping guys don't target him for being the pro NHLer.  I had some friends who played roller on the island with Jamie Benn (before he became a star) and they said guys kept trying to run him or fight him.  Benn had to quite the league after a couple games.

Some people clearly have issues evolving beyond grade school...

56 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Agreed.    One reason many of us who played at any level let alone in NHL never go into beer league etc.   Look what happened to Ryan Smith.   People forget that there is a difference between doing something as recreation and something you do for your living - when you threaten someone in the latter category, not cool at all.  

That's not a beer league its essentially like the BCHL but for adults they play against other teams from around Alberta and then play for some amateur cup against other provinces.

2 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

That's not a beer league its essentially like the BCHL but for adults they play against other teams from around Alberta and then play for some amateur cup against other provinces.

It's not professional.   That is enough for concern.

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I think it would be good for Jake to go, will string out some offensive creativity from him.  I've played Roller hockey and ice hockey for years and the games are very different how they are played.  Far more emphasis on skill and less physicality in roller hockey.

Even if people wanted to run at Jake, he has shown multiple times that they just bounce right off him.  HIs lower body strength and his reduced fat % and more muscle up top will allow him to muscle his way right through them.  Not that its necessarily a bad thing either, with the style he will play in the NHL, he will have to keep his head on a swivel too.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, higgyfan said:

The high scoring players chosen after Jake in the draft will always be regarded as better picks, as scoring is something the team required most.  But...a physical presence that is fast, a great hitter and will crash the net at will, is also a huge need for the team.

He's still a project, but in time he may be end up becoming a significant player for this team.

I like the idea that JV will be training at the Canucks gym this summer. Green will be there regularly and he can keep coaching JV's development.

50 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Kinda cool he's playing D.  I have no idea how rollerhockey differs from ice in gameplay and such, but the experience of playing back there can't but help with his overall development and game/positional understanding as a player.

Watch him pull a Burns :lol:

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

Watch him pull a Burns :lol:

It's been my dream for a while.

He's could be like PK for us. Excellent Skater, hard shot, physical, makes some mistakes that lead to turnovers. 

Just imagine Jake stepping into one timers from the point instead of Stecher (Love Stech, but he doesn't have the mass/leverage to zing the puck like other PP D's in the NHL)

Edited by Derp...

16 minutes ago, Derp... said:

It's been my dream for a while.

He's could be like PK for us. Excellent Skater, hard shot, physical, makes some mistakes that lead to turnovers. 

Just image Jake stepping into one timers from the point instead of Stecher (Love Stech, but he doesn't have the mass/leverage to zing the puck like other PP D's in the NHL)

Watch this happen now! :lol:

On 5/11/2017 at 11:47 AM, Dazzle said:

Looking at this picture, it looks like he has no more than 10 percent body fat. You can see his well-defined ab muscles due to the fact that there's next to no fat, yet his physique is sustainable.

I case no one has mentioned it's well known Bure took special "supplements" in those days, (The Tony Twist protein shake) Not sure if testing in the NHL has improved since then, part of me thinks it may have but part of me says that's impossible since no one ever gets caught and athlete's are willing to do anything to get an edge

On 5/11/2017 at 0:30 AM, SILLY GOOSE said:

I feel like if the Canucks want Jake to play 'big' it would only be fair to have some support.   IMO trading Tanev for another young, big, physical and good skating forward might be the ideal winger for that line, and the line up desperately needs it anyways.

Not a bad Idea, it's tough to be a tough guy when you've got no back up. Look at Edmonton, nobody is messing with them for the next few years,

Toughest NHL line-up i've seen in a really long time

I think the knock on Jake was he had (has) a low hockey IQ.....  DQIQ I'm sure he is fine...   point being he has a better chance to be a 3rd or 4th line player right now than anything else.... and that was also true when we picked him.   Let him make the team that way, and then we'll see....   low hockey IQ usually means he doesn't process the play fast enough, doesn't get to the right place at the right time, etc.... he was a risky pick imho, and could still turn into a top 6 player if he develops - which happens sometimes, but this is the year to make or break the NHL .. more likely he is 3rd line material where he can play against 3rd string players and succeed... prove me wrong and I'll be ecstatic!  But let's be realistic... he isn't doing that great and there is a reason for it.

• Upvote 1

I am having a tough time believing that with everything that has happened with Jake this passed year that the doesn't make the team this coming season.  He would have to be pretty thick not to show up in his best condition possible.  I am sure he will be a highly motivated individual to quiet the critics.  Greener and Jim say he has matured and on the right track.  I predict good things from Jake this year.  15 g. 25 a. would be a good estimate at his totals for the Canucks this coming season. 

Edited by dpn1