The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I am having a tough time believing that with everything that has happened with Jake this passed year that the doesn't make the team this coming season.  He would have to be pretty thick not to show up in his best condition possible.  I am sure he will be a highly motivated individual to quiet the critics.  Greener and Jim say he has matured and on the right track.  I predict good things from Jake this year.  15 g. 25 a. would be a good estimate at his totals for the Canucks this coming season. 

Edited by dpn1

How much stock do you put in what the Canucks are saying about him.  If you believe the coach and management,  things are looking good with Jake but if we believe what people are saying here, he is a guy who will never amount to much.  Now I am from the Fraser Valley and a bit of a Jake supporter I admit but come on, I think he will be a regular 20+ goal scorer and in this league that is pretty good.

• Upvote 2

Also. Green has talked about Jake's struggles this year but both Jim and Green have said that he had a good heart and attitude in Utica this year.  There is no reason he won't continue in that.  They know him best and if it wasn't true I have to believe it is true.  They were honest when they sent him down, why wouldn't they be honest now?

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Also. Green has talked about Jake's struggles this year but both Jim and Green have said that he had a good heart and attitude in Utica this year.  There is no reason he won't continue in that.  They know him best and if it wasn't true I have to believe it is true.  They were honest when they sent him down, why wouldn't they be honest now?

I agree with you about Jake having the skill set to be a regular 20+ goal scoring power forward.  I do think TL will lie, as he has lied before.  As for Green, I don't know.  What I'm certain of is these management types often pump up their players, just in case of a potential trade.  The coach though, especially WD, didn't care about that - as evidenced by his use of Vrbata.

23 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I deff. think our management is full of pooh.  

I like them, but they are full of it for sure.  

Personally, what I saw from Jake in Utica this year, I think it will take him a good couple years to really figure it out, but a crash and bang 3rd line energy guy who can put in 10-20 goals is a pretty reasonable expectation.  

The kid isn't going to bust. He has too much natural talent to no be at least a grinder, but I don't really see much more than a 2-3 line tweener. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Krutov was fine until her got paid, 

You do realize your questioning the preparation of the greatest hockey team of all time right?

The East Germans had their whole Olympic team on dope. The Russians doped their teams for at least the last 2 Olympics so it should be no surprise to find out that they were not doing so with their hockey team. That said so many of their players have stayed in NA since their retirements that you would think some one would have talked. I guess family in Russia might keep things quiet.  

3 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Not a bad Idea, it's tough to be a tough guy when you've got no back up. Look at Edmonton, nobody is messing with them for the next few years,

Toughest NHL line-up i've seen in a really long time

and to be honest, I think other teams would have an easier time trading for Tanev if they dont have to give up one of their big offensive producers.  Not saying Ritchie is available but someone like him with potential might be a good hockey trade.

Edited by SILLY GOOSE

On 5/11/2017 at 11:47 AM, Dazzle said:

Looking at this picture, it looks like he has no more than 10 percent body fat. You can see his well-defined ab muscles due to the fact that there's next to no fat, yet his physique is sustainable.

He's probably closer to 13-14% in that picture. I don't think 10% would be sustainable for most athletes outside of physique competitions.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I am having a tough time believing that with everything that has happened with Jake this passed year that the doesn't make the team this coming season.  He would have to be pretty thick not to show up in his best condition possible.  I am sure he will be a highly motivated individual to quiet the critics.  Greener and Jim say he has matured and on the right track.  I predict good things from Jake this year.  15 g. 25 a. would be a good estimate at his totals for the Canucks this coming season. 

I like how you think Virtanen can get 40 points in a season lol. 

People, Virtanen is a third line winger and was projected as such. He is not going to be a power forward that everyone dreams of. If everyone keeps making him become the next Lucic will only stunt his growth and be disappointed. Virtanen is a third line winger and a grinder; similar to Jannick Hansen with a little more offensive ability. Virtanen was a bad pick at the spot we chose him but nonetheless he can be useful in the playoffs in the future but only as a third liner or a complimentary piece on a second line with a very good center. I only expect his career season to be around 15 goals and 15 assist or a maximum of 30-35 point season. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

People, Virtanen is a third line winger and was projected as such. He is not going to be a power forward that everyone dreams of. If everyone keeps making him become the next Lucic will only stunt his growth and be disappointed. Virtanen is a third line winger and a grinder; similar to Jannick Hansen with a little more offensive ability. Virtanen was a bad pick at the spot we chose him but nonetheless he can be useful in the playoffs in the future but only as a third liner or a complimentary piece on a second line with a very good center. I only expect his career season to be around 15 goals and 15 assist or a maximum of 30-35 point season. 

If you're personally saying that you view Virtanen as a potential Hansen with a little more offensive ability then I think the other posters 40 point estimation is entirely reasonable. Hansen has hit between 33-39 points three times in his career and was on pace for another 38 points this season over an 82 game spread. Being slightly more offensively gifted would put him in the 40 point range.

I agree with the analysis of his player type, however. I'm not sure if he'll hit 40 ever in his career (especially not at this point), but your counter-argument supported his point.

Edited by BananaMash
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Krutov was fine until her got paid, 

You do realize your questioning the preparation of the greatest hockey team of all time right?

No, I was questioning your logic. Was just having a bit of fun, your point actually seemed to make sense in the context of JV.

Re the KLM and their Tretiak-ian goalie, I also spent many evenings crying about how good they were - the games I actually remember watching though we always came out on top. Maybe it's selective memory, but the Oilers and Flames in 83 as well as Team Canada in 87 would all argue that they were better.

Edited by nzan

4 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Runtz, how are you so sure that he's only going to be a third line winger that grinds? Virtanen possesses a lot of speed, underrated defensive ability and a lethal shot. This is not to mention the 'size' factor. Virtanen loves scoring goals - he's been doing that all his life. Sure he looks like a bad pick, especially in light of better choices like Nylander and Ehlers. This is not to say that Virtanen won't ever pan out though. There is still hope that he can turn things around, especially since he had recently bought into Green's philosophy.

I get what you're saying when you're making arguments about Virtanen almost being a bust at 6th overall. That being said, we should wait and see before we jump to conclusions.

A 'grinder' doesn't have all the tools that Virtanen does. He needs to put it together and I'm sure with more development, he will be an interesting player down the road.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

I case no one has mentioned it's well known Bure took special "supplements" in those days, (The Tony Twist protein shake) Not sure if testing in the NHL has improved since then, part of me thinks it may have but part of me says that's impossible since no one ever gets caught and athlete's are willing to do anything to get an edge

Some NHLers have been caught cheating.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/ducks-horcoff-suspended-20-games-for-ped-program-violation/article28395375/

As a side note, here are some players that have been outted as using cocaine. I'm sure that drug is used more often but the player isn't caught or it isn't negatively affecting his professional life.

http://www.tsn.ca/on-eve-of-season-nhl-acknowledges-possibly-more-players-using-cocaine-1.372075

On 5/15/2017 at 0:28 AM, drummerboy said:

I deff. think our management is full of pooh.  

I like them, but they are full of it for sure.  

Yeah, they don't even know they are playing the kid on the wrong wing...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

What's wrong with a middle 6 kids who hits, battles, generally makes life for the opposition difficult and pots +/- 40 points?

Nothing at all.  I'd be stoked with that.  

I always liked the pick.  

I'm a big fan of big fast players.  

3 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Nothing at all.  I'd be stoked with that.  

I always liked the pick.  

I'm a big fan of big fast players.  

Sorry, just seems like people always seem 'disappointed' with him 'only' being a middle 6 player. I mean his absolute ceiling was (and still could be, albeit more of a long shot now) of a complimentary top 6 guy. But the likelihood of hitting that absolute ceiling was always risky/iffy. He was always far more likely to be a middle 6 guy with *cross your fingers*, top 6, upside IMO.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sorry, just seems like people always seem 'disappointed' with him 'only' being a middle 6 player. I mean his absolute ceiling was (and still could be, albeit more of a long shot now) of a complimentary top 6 guy. But the likelihood of hitting that absolute ceiling was always risky/iffy. He was always far more likely to be a middle 6 guy with *cross your fingers*, top 6, upside IMO.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a player who "hits, battles, generally makes life for the opposition difficult and pots +/- 40 points." However, when going through a rebuild and picking 6th overall you're hoping for the type of player you can build your team around and the aforementioned type player is more of a great complimentary piece for a contender.

I would love to have more guys like Hansen on the team, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for something more from our 6th overall pick. That being said, at this point if Virtanen can be that +/- 40 point player who skates hard and hits I'd be delighted. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I don't think anyone has a problem with a player who "hits, battles, generally makes life for the opposition difficult and pots +/- 40 points." However, when going through a rebuild and picking 6th overall you're hoping for the type of player you can build your team around and the aforementioned type player is more of a great complimentary piece for a contender.

I would love to have more guys like Hansen on the team, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for something more from our 6th overall pick. That being said, at this point if Virtanen can be that +/- 40 point player who skates hard and hits I'd be delighted. 

6th overall picks aren't generally, historically, top flight pieces.

They're generally better, complimentary players with the odd winning lotto ticket elite guy. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Runtz, how are you so sure that he's only going to be a third line winger that grinds? Virtanen possesses a lot of speed, underrated defensive ability and a lethal shot. This is not to mention the 'size' factor. Virtanen loves scoring goals - he's been doing that all his life. Sure he looks like a bad pick, especially in light of better choices like Nylander and Ehlers. This is not to say that Virtanen won't ever pan out though. There is still hope that he can turn things around, especially since he had recently bought into Green's philosophy.

I get what you're saying when you're making arguments about Virtanen almost being a bust at 6th overall. That being said, we should wait and see before we jump to conclusions.

A 'grinder' doesn't have all the tools that Virtanen does. He needs to put it together and I'm sure with more development, he will be an interesting player down the road.

All im saying is Virtanen will make the NHL but not as a 1st or 2nd liner but most likely as a third line grinder whom hits and gets puck to people who score. As for the scoring touch everyone says he has, his shot is hard and nice but his accuracy sucks and its slow getting off of his stick; just look at his ahl production. So Virtanen as a puck retrieving third liner is a good projection for him considering his skillset. 

• Upvote 1