The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

It's actually 18 points in 8 games.

Last year he was consistently given the toughest assignments. Can probably assume it's the same this year, except that he's been given the green light to play more offense.

21c5b1g.png

McCann didn't collect his 18th point of the season until November 29th, his 17th game of the season.

Here's the highlights, can't miss it:

http://www.soogreyhounds.com/video/channel/197

His goals look pretty similar, off the left side in tight on the goaltender. His assists are beautiful though. The first was a cross ice power play feed to DeAngelo through a tight seam. The second was a no look behind the back pass on the rush. He's definitely a creative player.

72 points in 50 games puts him 13th in OHL scoring now. I'm scared as to what he would have put up in a healthy season. I hope he's putting on some muscle now, if he was even pushing 195 before training camp I think he'd have a real shot next season.

sorry, it's in this highlight package

I would graduate Horvat in the rankings - he is an NHL rookie

McCann seems to have risen to be #1 imo in terms of potential

• McCann
  • Virtanen
  • Clendening
  • Corrado
  • Jensen
  • Gaunce
  • Kenins
  • Shinkaruk
  • Demko
  • Cassels

As great of a year as McCann is having, I still don't see him being the better player that Virtanen will be. My top ten would be as follows:

1. Virtanen

2. McCann

3. Jensen

4. Cassels

5. Clendening

6. Shinkaruk

7. Demko

8. Corrado

9. Subban

10. Gaunce

Has surpassed his total by 10 points in 14 less games

30 goals and 42 assists for 72 points in 50 games.

He is playing on a much stronger team in the SOO this year but McCann is showing great signs that he was a great steal where we picked him in the draft.

He has also put on 10 pounds since his draft year now at 185lbs. Imagine a few more years of proper training and development he could easily gain another 10-15 pounds of muscle which would be more ideal for him when he faces bigger competition in the West.

I was a little apprehensive when we first took him as I thought it was an interesting decision by JB to take another centre since at the time we had so much depth with newly acquired Bonino and Vey, other prospects in Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels and Labate. But definitely this pick has really grown on me.

As great of a year as McCann is having, I still don't see him being the better player that Virtanen will be

Of course you do :lol: I see your CDC handle

But based on what? Draft position?

Why do you think Virtanen will be greater? I think there is a legitimate case to be made for either

Future lines

Kenins Horvat Virtanen

Shinkaruk McCann Kassian

Gaunce Cassels Jensen

I know this isn't a typical 1st line left winger, but common how do you break up Horvat and Kenins, add in the even faster more skilled Virtanen over Hansen and it should be an awesome line.

I know Kenins isn't suited to 18 mins a night, but it would be fun to see if he could do it sometime no?

Future lines

Kenins Horvat Virtanen

Shinkaruk McCann Kassian

Gaunce Cassels Jensen

I know this isn't a typical 1st line left winger, but common how do you break up Horvat and Kenins, add in the even faster more skilled Virtanen over Hansen and it should be an awesome line.

Well that isn't a typical 1st line center either (in terms of projected ceilings)

I see that as an effective 2nd line - Kenins being more of a Higgins 2.0 while Horvat plays the role Kesler had for years and we'll see how Virtanen's game translates when he gets to the pro level

Did you see that move between the legs last night? I tell ya Kenins is another Jarri Kurri! Kenins is obviously getting comfortable. Trying more moves all the time.

Sets Horvat up in the slot. The pic on the bench later was classic as he chats away with Horvat grinning away.

Of course you do :lol: I see your CDC handle

But based on what? Draft position?

Why do you think Virtanen will be greater? I think there is a legitimate case to be made for either

I'd like to think of it more as "Hey, we got both." And maybe they'll complement each other down the road?

Since we're alright up the middle, and on the left and right side, and in goal, it may be time to address the defense. I would be more than fine with the Canucks using rounds 1 and 2 on some great defensemen this draft.

Well that isn't a typical 1st line center either (in terms of projected ceilings)

I see that as an effective 2nd line - Kenins being more of a Higgins 2.0 while Horvat plays the role Kesler had for years and we'll see how Virtanen's game translates when he gets to the pro level

Meh…..I don't think Horvat would be able to really fill Kesler's skates. He lacks the speed and the a$$h@le factor that defined Kesler's game.

Not saying he can't be a great player in his own right, but the minute eating, pain-in-the-a$z, puck mover role will probably remain vacant until McCann is ready to take a shot at it.

I'd like to think of it more as "Hey, we got both." And maybe they'll complement each other down the road?

Since we're alright up the middle, and on the left and right side, and in goal, it may be time to address the defense. I would be more than fine with the Canucks using rounds 1 and 2 on some great defensemen this draft.

Unless you think McCann, Caseles, and or Horvat are potential 70-80 pt. players, we are definitely not alright up the middle.

We need a top offensive centre prospect, first and foremost. I'm hoping McCann reaches for that role, and leaves the shutdown game to Horvat.

Unless you think McCann, Caseles, and or Horvat are potential 70-80 pt. players, we are definitely not alright up the middle.

We need a top offensive centre prospect, first and foremost. I'm hoping McCann reaches for that role, and leaves the shutdown game to Horvat.

Matthew Barzal could drop to our pick

They don't need to be ;) Check out Krejci and Bergeron's point totals.

Archived