The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

The minute he signs he loses his NCAA Eligablity, I think. I think Plymouth owns his CHL rights, could be be thinking about playing major junior next year?

Didn't refresh before responding, other posters clarified. Thatcher's agent did say at the time of the trade that there is no intention of him going to the WHL though. Edited by wshdrvvn

Plymouth traded his rights to Calgary this year. His agent stated there is no intention for Thatcher to go to the WHL at the time of the trade though.

Someone said earlier it was Spokane who traded his rights to Calgary, which makes sense since he is from San Diego (in WHL territory). I dont know where i got Plymouth from....

Someone said earlier it was Spokane who traded his rights to Calgary, which makes sense since he is from San Diego (in WHL territory). I dont know where i got Plymouth from....

lol threw me under the bus stank!

• Upvote 1

haha yeah, i was just about to say- I don't know who has his rights but it must be a WHL team since he's from Saints Diago. Saw people in another thread talking about non-Canadian players being able to choose which league they play in? e.g: Europeans choosing which import draft they enter..is this true?

haha yeah, i was just about to say- I don't know who has his rights but it must be a WHL team since he's from Saints Diago. Saw people in another thread talking about non-Canadian players being able to choose which league they play in? e.g: Europeans choosing which import draft they enter..is this true?

its a chl import draft so im not sure, but maybe not..

Yeah, if someone could clear up how the CHL import draft works that would be great. I'm still confused as to whether Europeans get to choose between the WHL, OHL, or the QMJHL.

As for Demko, quite a lot of good goalies have come from BC so I don't think him staying there would hurt. What WOULD hurt would probably be sitting in the AHL and not getting any playing time.

As far as how the import draft works: All 60 CHL teams are ranked for the draft in reverse order based on their regular-season finish and the draft order alternates between all three leagues. the problem is that some small market teams can't afford to pay for the import player they drafted to come over, and often trade that pick/player (often before the daft ever takes place) to larger market teams for cheaper imports.

“The agents, in my mind, run the import draft,” said Steve Spott, the head coach and GM of the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers. “They are the ones that know the connections, they are the ones that will dictate whether a player will play for you or not play for you. That’s what makes it such a difficult draft is the fact that you are relying on a lot of different people (scouts, agent) for an asset that’s very valuable.”

NHL agent Darren Ferris, who has a number of clients playing in the CHL, said that many agents will have associates in Europe or Russia who will try to place their clients on CHL teams. There are also times when NHL teams will dictate whether they want their draft picks - or players they’re interested in drafting - playing for CHL clubs.

“Even as early as the (under-17 tournament) or U-18s,” said Ferris of talks with CHL teams. “Sometimes some of the (CHL) teams will go watch either (tournaments in Europe or North America) wherever they are and see some of the players. Some of them, they’ll just take on the word of the agent. Some of the … smaller-market teams, they won’t even send anybody, they’ll just rely on the agent who tells them, ‘Hey, this is a good player.’ Or they’ll phone around to some NHL teams and ask some of the NHL scouts if they’ve seen them.”

[Related: The real cost of the CHL Import Draft in Europe]

Ferris said most agents simply want to place their clients on teams where they’ll be taken good care of and have their skills developed. Often teams aren’t taking the best player available in the draft, but rather the player who will play for their team.

“As far as the agents placing guys, it’s not always the top guy that’s there,” said Ferris of the draft selection.

Outside of the top-end known commodities, selecting a player in the import draft can be a crapshoot. Teams that can afford to send scouts to see potential prospects do so, but it comes at a cost. Even once a player is selected, there are more bills to pay for incidentals like plane tickets home at Christmas.

“It really has become a costly draft,” said Spott. “You are now getting extra scouting involved and extra travel. But we feel that’s the price of doing business if you’re going to have good players.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chl-import-draft--can-new-rule-changes-fix-a-broken-system---194409144.html Edited by avelanch
  • Upvote 1

It isn't in Demko or the Canucks' best interests for him to move to the CHL; he plays older, stronger talent in the NCAA and will most likely play in the NCAA for atleast another year, maybe even two, before he goes to the AHL where he'll continue to face older talent until he reaches the NHL, as the Canucks brass predicted it'll probably be 4-5 years before he gets a sniff at the NHL level, and that's how it should be.

• Upvote 1

In NCAA they play what 40 games at most. Not a big fan of that. CHL play gives him lots of shots and age doesn't really impact him in that sense. The collegiate route is positive in the sense that the Canucks really don't need him at the AHL level in 2 years and if they do they can talk him into going pro anyway.

In NCAA they play what 40 games at most. Not a big fan of that. CHL play gives him lots of shots and age doesn't really impact him in that sense. The collegiate route is positive in the sense that the Canucks really don't need him at the AHL level in 2 years and if they do they can talk him into going pro anyway.

Despite only playing 40 games, it means they have a lot more time to practice and a lot more time in the gym to train.

Which i guess lets them round out their technical requirements better too.

• 2 weeks later...