The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

7 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Great point. Jones was a backup to Quick, went undrafted and had only 34 games NHL experience and he went for a first last year. Markstrom is already proven at the NHL level and most teams can see he is ready to be a full time starter with almost 100 games of NHL experience.

If Markstrom is put on the trading block a first round pick would be just the starting point in a trade. The only negative is he is UFA in a year so that may affect his value. But if Benning can sign him to a long term deal in the summer then his trade value will sky rocket. 

Yeah, they are absolutely not trading Markstrom in the next 5 years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, they are absolutely not trading Markstrom in the next 5 years.

Then where does Demko fit in, and is that why he's not signing - he can see there is no future for him here?  

I think we sign him, so what happens with Markstrom?  Uggg.  Are you being serious about not trading Markstrom?  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Then where does Demko fit in, and is that why he's not signing - he can see there is no future for him here?  

I think we sign him, so what happens with Markstrom?  Uggg.  Are you being serious about not trading Markstrom?  

Why the hell would we trade Markstrom? There's absolutely no reason to do that. Demko if he signs, is still 2 years away at least. Same trajectory as Shnieds.  Markstrom should get his chance. If he plays lights out we have two elite goalies. 

• Upvote 1

On 16/04/2016 at 8:38 PM, SvenBae said:

Why are we discussing trading Markstrom?

Because we want Demko to sign. With Markstrom playing as well as he is Demko may not want to come here if he doesnt for sure see him being the go to guy. 

Markstrom to florida for the remainder of Luongos contract?

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

I like how everyone is so sure Demko won't sign.

I do believe Alf has stated often that Demko is signing, and soon.  All any team can offer him is a fair chance to compete for the number one job.  JB has stated publicly that if a young player earns a spot, he will make room for him.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Who? Who is so sure  Demko won't sign.

Judging by the fact that people are suggesting we trade Markstrom to make room for Demko, tells me that Demko won't sign unless given an incentive to do so, that being a potential roster spot. Which is ridiculous.

Edited by Qwags

2 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Judging by the fact that people are suggesting we trade Markstrom to make room for Demko, tells me that Demko won't sign unless given an incentive to do so, that being a potential roster spot. Which is ridiculous.

You have no idea what the hell you are talking about bud. 

• Upvote 1