The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 2016-12-14 at 10:42 AM, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I think Tryamkin has some untapped offensive potential and it was on display last night.  It looked like he intentionally shot wide a couple times, which lead to one of Baertschi's goals and the Burrows goal which is where he picked up his assists.  He also made some heads up play at the blue line.  Combined with his cannon of a shot, I think he can be a top 3 defenseman for us for a long time.

He's not been shy about moving up and joining the rush at times either.  Funny though, because when his teammates see him it's like "whoa, what's he doing here?" and they have yet to make a play to him.  Has got caught a few times, but recovers well, and simply put -- pucks do not get by him on the wall.  It's like he has a boat oar for a stick.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Him tossing guys like little toys was pretty fun to watch ::D Goalies must love that :lol:

Pedan is likewise very strong -- many times he's shoved guys down to the ice, with just his left hand.

I missed a good portin of the 2nd period tonight, but noticed Try had an awful 1st. What was he thinking on the 1st goal where he chased behind the net and left the slot open? That one bugged me the most, the little things added up too though, like hustling to make a pass behind the net and firing a bouncing puck off the boards that handcuffed Sbisa. 

Not his best night, but it all worked out in the end so no big deal I guess.

Missed the game. But NHL hit stats has Try at 10.39 hits per 60 mins around Backes and Shaw's avg's per hits in 60 m. I think try has put more guys out of games though. Gud avg's 6.49 per 60 mins Hutton at a paltry 2.39 hits per 60

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Missed the game. But NHL hit stats has Try at 10.39 hits per 60 mins around Backes and Shaw's avg's per hits in 60 m. I think try has put more guys out of games though. Gud avg's 6.49 per 60 mins

Try was in the midst of an outlet pass when 10 ft 2 Brian Boyle initiated an open ice hit on him. It was pretty funny when absolutely nothing happened. It was like he body checked the boards instead. Everybody stayed on their feet and just skated away.

I find it odd that for a guy as big as Gudbranson is that he isn't stronger on his feet. I mean it isn't a character flaw to get knocked over, but I just figured he would have a stronger center of gravity. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Green Building said:

I find it odd that for a guy as big as Gudbranson is that he isn't stronger on his feet. I mean it isn't a character flaw to get knocked over, but I just figured he would have a stronger center of gravity. 

He has been apparently dealing with a 'lower body' injury. Perhaps that's been affecting his stability (and his skating)? That said, I haven't seen him get bowled over a ton...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Green Building said:

I missed a good portin of the 2nd period tonight, but noticed Try had an awful 1st. What was he thinking on the 1st goal where he chased behind the net and left the slot open? That one bugged me the most, the little things added up too though, like hustling to make a pass behind the net and firing a bouncing puck off the boards that handcuffed Sbisa. 

Not his best night, but it all worked out in the end so no big deal I guess.

While he definitely shouldn't have been chasing behind the net, I'd put more of that goal on the centre on that line. Burrows was covering a man in the high slot, leaving Hedman open on the point. That point pass would have been made regardless of where Tryamkin went (unless he got lucky and cut it off), and he would have been left trying to block a shot similar to what Sbisa had to do on the Lightning power play goal. Point men are the winger's responsibility, but only when they're not covering for a centre that's out of position.

Canucks players get caught puck watching a lot, instead of anticipating and planning for where that puck could go.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, JustAFan33 said:

While he definitely shouldn't have been chasing behind the net, I'd put more of that goal on the centre on that line. Burrows was covering a man in the high slot, leaving Hedman open on the point. That point pass would have been made regardless of where Tryamkin went (unless he got lucky and cut it off), and he would have been left trying to block a shot similar to what Sbisa had to do on the Lightning power play goal. Point men are the winger's responsibility, but only when they're not covering for a centre that's out of position.

Canucks players get caught puck watching a lot, instead of anticipating and planning for where that puck could go.

I missed the game (forgot to pvr) but saw the replay.  Maybe he shouldn't have gone back of the net but he did chase the guy out of the play and seemed to be quickly re-positioning in the crease when the shooter came. If he had gone straight to the crease he would have had a better angle to do his effective poke check which would have stopped the shot. When looked at in totality he was responsible for 2 men? Or the crease area..

This was one of very few minus games for Try at -1 I think he's still learning...plus we did win.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I missed the game (forgot to pvr) but saw the replay.  Maybe he shouldn't have gone back of the net but he did chase the guy out of the play and seemed to be quickly re-positioning in the crease when the shooter came. If he had gone straight to the crease he would have had a better angle to do his effective poke check which would have stopped the shot. When looked at in totality he was responsible for 2 men? Or the crease area..

This was one of very few minus games for Try at -1 I think he's still learning...plus we did win.

It was a nice goal.  Teams will score nice gaols against us, and this was one.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

He has been apparently dealing with a 'lower body' injury. Perhaps that's been affecting his stability (and his skating)? That said, I haven't seen him get bowled over a ton...

No no, I wasn't trying to imply that he's Mason Raymond's big brother or anything, but for whatever reason I have a few replays of hits over the course of this year in my head, and it's probably him just being caught off balance more than anything. Lower body injury... who on our roster isn't hurt right now. 

3 hours ago, JustAFan33 said:

You know that's fair, but if Tryamkin didn't chase behind the net before that pass happened he'd have been in a much better position to block the shot or force another less threatening pass somewhere else. I didn't see it as him being out of position to stop the point pass, but instead to stop the threat on net after it happened. I'm not expecting the world out of him, but maybe I'm being too hard on him. When I was playing defence my mindset was keep myself in position so if for whatever reason the forwards are out to lunch then at least I'm there as the last man back, and I didn't have exactly that same approach as a forward; that combo is what bothered me about that play.

I'm with you on the puck watching, it really stands out when playing a team with high skill, like Chicago. Even when there's no goals, there are still plenty of chances. 

I'm having a brain fart - was Granlund centering that line?

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Agree Hairy,  I think at the same time Nik is learning the finer points of his Pro game, he will find that simplifying it gives him more time to react.

Easy for some here to pick apart his game, but at the same time it's easy to see Nik is picking apart his own game himself.. love this kid.. a player with the potential to be painted into the rafters with Ohlund.

His offensive capabilities are untapped right now,  his balanced skating and rushing speed accompanied by 250lbs may prove to be a special play once forwards (and a coach) recognize what he is trying to do. I also want to see him on the pp soon, he was utilized with success this way in the KHL..  he would look even more tremendous on the pp in the NHL due to the closer contact in front of the crease. Nik will bring the attention of 2 d men and break down the "box" defence quickly, something this team has not been able to do since our greater days with Bertuzzi.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Green Building said:

No no, I wasn't trying to imply that he's Mason Raymond's big brother or anything, but for whatever reason I have a few replays of hits over the course of this year in my head, and it's probably him just being caught off balance more than anything. Lower body injury... who on our roster isn't hurt right now. 

You know that's fair, but if Tryamkin didn't chase behind the net before that pass happened he'd have been in a much better position to block the shot or force another less threatening pass somewhere else. I didn't see it as him being out of position to stop the point pass, but instead to stop the threat on net after it happened. I'm not expecting the world out of him, but maybe I'm being too hard on him. When I was playing defence my mindset was keep myself in position so if for whatever reason the forwards are out to lunch then at least I'm there as the last man back, and I didn't have exactly that same approach as a forward; that combo is what bothered me about that play.

I'm with you on the puck watching, it really stands out when playing a team with high skill, like Chicago. Even when there's no goals, there are still plenty of chances. 

I'm having a brain fart - was Granlund centering that line?

I *think* it was Horvat, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure it was Drouin that Tryamkin was chasing. I actually was watching the game on PVR, but was too lazy to rewind enough to see why the centre was out of position on that play. All I know is if your winger is covering the slot and there's still a point man open, you have a problem.

It's not that I disagree with your approach to defense and as a good argument why what he did there wasn't a good idea, I just think that it potentially masks the real issue and breakdown that occurred earlier. I think Tryamkin is potentially one of the best dmen the Canucks have had for a long, long time and while his game certainly isn't perfect, putting all the blame for this particular goal on a bad decision on his part wasn't really fair (as a lot of the media were saying as well). All the Canuck's forwards have been guilty of not back checking hard enough or paying attention to their assignments, and I think that was the bigger issue here.

If he hadn't followed Drouin behind the net, you suddenly potentially have a 6'7" screen with Drouin as a pass outlet on the side of that net on that play. That's not that much better as an alternative. Always bugged me when a forward screwing up their assignment left a dman trying to cover more than one person and people blame the damn for not picking the right guy to cover.

Tryamkin was chasing Drouin behind, and it's the winger's responsibility to cover the opposing D-man (the center should be helping the D). Both got missed for Hedman to be so open and the passing lane so clear, but Tryamkin made a bad call to go behind the net.

19 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Agree Hairy,  I think at the same time Nik is learning the finer points of his Pro game, he will find that simplifying it gives him more time to react.

Easy for some here to pick apart his game, but at the same time it's easy to see Nik is picking apart his own game himself.. love this kid.. a player with the potential to be painted into the rafters with Ohlund.

His offensive capabilities are untapped right now,  his balanced skating and rushing speed accompanied by 250lbs may prove to be a special play once forwards (and a coach) recognize what he is trying to do. I also want to see him on the pp soon, he was utilized with success this way in the KHL..  he would look even more tremendous on the pp in the NHL due to the closer contact in front of the crease. Nik will bring the attention of 2 d men and break down the "box" defence quickly, something this team has not been able to do since our greater days with Bertuzzi.

The way injuries have been cropping up I can see Tryamkin getting more TOI in the spring. Totally agree that this kid does have top pairing potential. The risk is pushing him to fast. Take some TOI off the top pairings to make sure Tryamkin is getting 17 - 18 minutes a game. I see WD has him PK'ing more. Once he gets 40 games in we might see more exploring.

On 12/12/2016 at 0:29 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

+4 and Biega's at 0 on plus minus 

Tryamkin should take over first PK duties with Gud 

Hutton is no where near as defensively strong.

Tryamkin needs to be coached on his shot selection and should take a bit of Stechers style and use that HEAVY shot of his.

With our POWER PLAY SO MISERABLE it'd be good for Tryamkin to get a look on the 2nd unit at least.

(How many more seasons are we going to have such a bad PP?)

Depends how much longer they torture us with Willie.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cookieeater55 said:

i always see train go behind the net instead of across the crease 

I think his most effective tool almost as much as his hitting is that long rangy poke check.He did it today too. It breaks up or slows a lot of rushes. On PK's he could probably even use a bit longer stick . He can reach the back of the net in one stride if he needs to.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting article on how Tryamkin is fitting in with the team and how his his teammayes are helping break down the language barrier. Lots of positive quotes that provide a glimpse into his personality and just how good a teammate he's becoming for this group.

Awww, what a feel good story! I was very pleasantly surprised to hear his voice when the holiday greeting video came out. Sounds like his English is getting a lot better. Learning a new language as an adult is tough: it can be awkward and embarrassing to say things wrong- especially in such a public profession- and frustrating to be misunderstood. Prop to him for trying. I am glad to hear Tanev and Hutton go out of their way to include Try and make him feel like part of the team. That's the type of character that keeps me coming back, even in spite of the on ice performance.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Awww, what a feel good story! I was very pleasantly surprised to hear his voice when the holiday greeting video came out. Sounds like his English is getting a lot better. Learning a new language as an adult is tough: it can be awkward and embarrassing to say things wrong- especially in such a public profession- and frustrating to be misunderstood. Prop to him for trying. I am glad to hear Tanev and Hutton go out of their way to include Try and make him feel like part of the team. That's the type of character that keeps me coming back, even in spite of the on ice performance.

Yeah, definitely a positive story, which is always nice during a season like we're having this year.

We've actually seen a fair amount of this under the new regime, which is one area where JB and WD seem to be quietly succeeding in building this team's identity. This is a good group of guys, in terms of them being just good human beings. The leadership group, led by the Sedins, have always been just great people. But the young core also has some real quality individuals, and they seem to be developing into a close group of players that really care about each other.

JB seems to place a fair amount of value on adding good people with high level character. And Desjardins seems to function well as a "father" type who works hard to create a family atmosphere for the team. The guys are close knit and they care about their teammates and look out for each other. There seems to be a lot of camaraderie in the room and some strong friendships being forged among these players. Same thing with our prospects.

This type of stuff will likely pay dividends later, in terms of the on-ice results. These are guys that will play for each other. So once the team actually has the talent (through future additions and continued development of current young players) to start winning, they will hopefully also be a tight enough group to really pull together and support each other over the grind of the 82 game season and through the "wars" of intense postseason play and tough seven game playoff series.

Unfortunately, we don't see the benefits much right now, simply because the present team isn't very good. But they'd probably look even worse than they do already if they didn't have good off-ice relationships and overall team closeness.

I think the guys that stick around from now until we get back to contending will become a very tight group and the relationships they're building right now will really become evident on-ice when this team gets on the upswing and returns to competitiveness. 

Of course, it would be nice to see a little more of their camaraderie translate into this group sticking up for each other better when it comes responding to cheap shots on teammates and handling the rough stuff. But some of the current guys just don't have that nasty edge. And others are still finding their way in terms of confidence. That "team toughness" aspect should emerge as the young guys become more mature, the core group transitions, and some the final roster pieces are added.

But the seeds of a tight knit group are definitely being planted right now and hopefully these efforts toward team building will really bear fruit in the future.

Tryamkin's emergence as a vocal "cheerleader" on the bench and a dedicated teammate speak to this. As do the efforts of his teammates in helping him succeed in North American hockey on the ice and adapt to the differences in the culture off the ice. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4