The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

17 minutes ago, skategal said:

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed in Nikita's level of aggression in the past couple of games.  Not sure if he's being coached not to go for the big hit because it risks him being caught out of position, but from what I've seen, he isn't physically punishing the opposing forwards in our end of the ice.  He blocks them out, he swats them away if they are near the goalie, but along the boards he doesn't hit as much or as hard as I thought he might.  I wonder if he's concerned about injuring anyone, I think he looked shocked when he was involved in Brad Richardson's injury a few games ago.  

IMO Tryamkin's biggest focus has to be playing a solid d-side game. I don't disagree that physicality is not important but he still has some of that but the priority is defense. He is very good in front of the net in clearing forwards just by pushing them aside. I have been very high on Sbisa all season and thought he was 1LD against the Ducks. IMHO Tryamkin is building a base for a top 4 spot by the end of the season.

IMO this d-core, even short the top pairing, is heads above last year. There is a physical side and a bigger defending presence in front of the net. The ability to move up ice has been there from the entire group. It does not work eevery game but for such a young group fans should be very excited. With more scoring support any d-zone mistakes would get much attention from fans.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, skategal said:

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed in Nikita's level of aggression in the past couple of games.  Not sure if he's being coached not to go for the big hit because it risks him being caught out of position, but from what I've seen, he isn't physically punishing the opposing forwards in our end of the ice.  He blocks them out, he swats them away if they are near the goalie, but along the boards he doesn't hit as much or as hard as I thought he might.  I wonder if he's concerned about injuring anyone, I think he looked shocked when he was involved in Brad Richardson's injury a few games ago.  

With Larsen in he has to be prepared to cover both sides because Larsen=garbage.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMO Tryamkin's biggest focus has to be playing a solid d-side game. I don't disagree that physicality is not important but he still has some of that but the priority is defense. He is very good in front of the net in clearing forwards just by pushing them aside. I have been very high on Sbisa all season and thought he was 1LD against the Ducks. IMHO Tryamkin is building a base for a top 4 spot by the end of the season.

IMO this d-core, even short the top pairing, is heads above last year. There is a physical side and a bigger defending presence in front of the net. The ability to move up ice has been there from the entire group. It does not work eevery game but for such a young group fans should be very excited. With more scoring support any d-zone mistakes would get much attention from fans.   

This. He has plenty of opportunity for controlled physical play (i.e. not getting himself out of position chasing a big hit) between the corners and the front of the net, and the opposition is aware of him now and will look to avoid those situations if they can.

As far as the second paragraph, lots to be excited about. Certainly lots of young, physical, defensive presence even if the offence may be lacking throughout the whole group (with only Stecher and Hutton being potential options, and not yet at that level to take over completely).

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

It also wouldn't hurt if he would drop the gloves, once in a while, to really drive the message home.

But he's not a fighter....  

9 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Nether was Chara for his first season or two but he learned and became a force in the NHL.

Chara was always a fighter, even back in junior with the Prince George Cougars.

On 12/2/2016 at 8:31 AM, skategal said:

He was pretty physically effective last night. It was hilarious seeing smurfs like Marner skate up to hit him only to hit a wall and fall on their ass. 

Hard to believe this kid is 22 yrs old..  that's like dressing him after his final year of Junior.

His mean edge will come, something I'm sure he will work on next Summer after this first full year in the NHL.

Lidster needs to get Nik and Eric practicing there one timers, that's all they're lacking.

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hard to believe this kid is 22 yrs old..  that's like dressing him after his final year of Junior.

His mean edge will come, something I'm sure he will work on next Summer after this first full year in the NHL.

Lidster needs to get Nik and Eric practicing there one timers, that's all they're lacking.

For his size, he's WAY ahead of where I would think he'd be.  Usually these big guys take extra development time.  Third round steal by JB.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

For his size, he's WAY ahead of where I would think he'd be.  Usually these big guys take extra development time.  Third round steal by JB.

A lot of big guys have poor coordination/skating, but Nikita is a smooth skater. I'm very impressed. Agreed, absolute steal by Benning. Him and Stecher could be a gigantic part of this future team. 

Edited by The Weasel

19 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

A lot of big guys have poor coordination/skating, but Nikita is a smooth skater. I'm very impressed. Agreed, absolute steal by Benning. Him and Stecher could be a gigantic part of this future team. 

You think about Bennings talent analysis of defensemen and you have to be impressed. Stetcher, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Hutton, Olsen, Forsling etc.  Makes you think that Juolevi will be a star in the future considering where he was picked compared to the others.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

You think about Bennings talent analysis of defensemen and you have to be impressed. Stetcher, Tryamkin, Brisebois, Hutton, Olsen, Forsling etc.  Makes you think that Juolevi will be a star in the future considering where he was picked compared to the others.

A bit too early say that Brisebois and Olsen are going to do well. Brisebois has improved slightly from year to year, but Olsen is having a rough start to the year. Overall though, I'd agree with you on Benning's talent analysis.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

When he goes through the league some more he'll figure out who the cheap shot weasels are.and dole out some timely hits. He is still learning the league.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, The Weasel said:

I've said it plenty that  these 2 to should become a pairing. Their nickname would be MasterBlaster. 

7 hours ago, ajhockey said:

A bit too early say that Brisebois and Olsen are going to do well. Brisebois has improved slightly from year to year, but Olsen is having a rough start to the year. Overall though, I'd agree with you on Benning's talent analysis.

Where were they drafted? 

If Olson plays any NHL games at all, you call that a win.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Where were they drafted? 

A valid point. I'm not counting on either making to the NHL though. We'll see though.

17 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Agreed.  Olson was a LONG-SHOT from the get-go.

For that matter, this article should be required reading on CDC:

http://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-percentages-in-the-nhl-draft-1.206144

yost-draft1_53958.jpg

Every player thinks/hopes they will be the one to break the odds. 

Every fan thinks/hope their prospects will be the ones to break the odds.

The odds say that every player and every fan can't be right unfortunately.