The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 11/25/2016 at 8:43 AM, Hugor Hill said:

36 hits in 10 games.

And +3!

EDIT: As a comparison, Guddy leads the team in hits. He has 40 in 20 games.

Rarely do I look up individual stats, as they seldom tell a complete picture - but just out of curiosity, I checked and Train is 8th overall in the entire league for D-men in the Hits/GP statistic.  Just a measly 0.5 hits/game more and he'd be in 2nd place in the entire league.  Great to finally have someone on the d-core who isn't afraid to use their size.  For all his supposed physicality (not knocking him b/c he's been playing well, but he was/is advertised as a physical defenceman) Sbisa ranks 70'th overall at just 1.7 hits/gm average  (yes, I am aware of the flaws and inconsistencies of NHL statistics but I thought it was interesting nevertheless).  

• Upvote 4

On 11/24/2016 at 4:55 PM, SilentSam said:

His speed and size are deceptive.. 

thats 6'8 and 250 lbs moving like its 6'2 and 210..  great timing and judgment, is sure to be squared up to finish the play.

rookie year?

He's extremely coordinated too. Sometimes you can really notice when someone that big is awkward when they skate, but he is a smooth skater. 

1 hour ago, The Weasel said:

He's extremely coordinated too. Sometimes you can really notice when someone that big is awkward when they skate, but he is a smooth skater. 

Yeah the crouch when he gears up for his strides looks 'normal' yet we know he's way above average size. I'd love to get close ups on the eyes of forwards as he approaches them when they have the puck.

He's honestly one of my favourite Cauncks to watch. My eye always goes towards him when he's on the ice. His little backhand chip shots to the other blue line are hilarious and effective. Pulls out the 60 and puts some spin on it. His BIR (Blueline in regulation) is gotta be up around 90%. Rarely see him ice the puck.

Glad to see him improving, as I was a bit worried at the start of the year.

we are not contenders, but this is what the real fans wanted to see and that is some youth and future in the line up.  It is very enjoyable to watch guys like Trymakin and Stech in the line up because they have unique styles of play for obvious reasons.   The biggest difference I see with Nikita out there is that he seems to feel like he is one of the guys out there - a lot more comfortable and confident.    The ceiling with him seems to be a lot higher than what we are seeing at this stage, but to get to a Chara level you gotta wanna it.  

4 hours ago, samurai said:

we are not contenders, but this is what the real fans wanted to see and that is some youth and future in the line up.  It is very enjoyable to watch guys like Trymakin and Stech in the line up because they have unique styles of play for obvious reasons.   The biggest difference I see with Nikita out there is that he seems to feel like he is one of the guys out there - a lot more comfortable and confident.    The ceiling with him seems to be a lot higher than what we are seeing at this stage, but to get to a Chara level you gotta wanna it.  

Yes and it seems Lidster has been able to communicate with him easier on the bench. He's breaking through the language barrier nicely. Smashing the language barrier!

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tryamkin deserved to be a star tonite against the Wild.  Happy to see a Defencemen play great Defence all game.

4 goals against and we can still say the d-core played well. Did they really or is the improvement over last year 'clouding' our judgment?  I have been chirping about this group since about game 4 and last night was no dif. IMHO the offense last night was driven by the back end and I often thought while watching of 2010 - 2012. Again like a broken record I will mention Sbisa and Tryamkin. Stecher and Hutton also had notable games. Why I dwell on Sbisa and Tryamkin is that they are usually playing bottom pairing and yet their play is far above that expectation. Yes the youngest d-core in the NHL and they did not embarrass themselves.  Loved Willie's TOI distribution as well on the backend.

If Sbisa and Tryamkin continue their pace of development they will be legit top 4 d-men by season's end. If that is the case it leaves Benning with a huge opportunity to move Edler or Tanev for a significant return going into the TDL.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

4 goals against and we can still say the d-core played well. Did they really or is the improvement over last year 'clouding' our judgment?  I have been chirping about this group since about game 4 and last night was no dif. IMHO the offense last night was driven by the back end and I often thought while watching of 2010 - 2012. Again like a broken record I will mention Sbisa and Tryamkin. Stecher and Hutton also had notable games. Why I dwell on Sbisa and Tryamkin is that they are usually playing bottom pairing and yet their play is far above that expectation. Yes the youngest d-core in the NHL and they did not embarrass themselves.  Loved Willie's TOI distribution as well on the backend.

If Sbisa and Tryamkin continue their pace of development they will be legit top 4 d-men by season's end. If that is the case it leaves Benning with a huge opportunity to move Edler or Tanev for a significant return going into the TDL.

Willie's TOI distribution during last night's game was a marked improvement. Real good.

Funny how the Canucks play better when Edler is out of the line up.  Fanuck--where does Edler stand in the NHL hit parade?

When he is well he should have to earn a spot back on the roster and not just given to him.  Winning is a contagious thing based on momentum.

Hopefully, it doesn't get screwed up by benching these young guys when the vets return from the injury list.   

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Funny how the Canucks play better when Edler is out of the line up.  Fanuck--where does Edler stand in the NHL hit parade?

When he is well he should have to earn a spot back on the roster and not just given to him.  Winning is a contagious thing based on momentum.

Hopefully, it doesn't get screwed up by benching these young guys when the vets return from the injury list.   

I think we have to understand that 'hitting' or being a physical presence isn't exactly Edler's game, but since you asked:

Edler ranks 3rd overall (tied with Sbisa) on the team in HITS/GP.

Edler ranks 4th overall on the team in total hits.

Edler ranks 1st on the team in blocked shots (but 2nd on the team in Blocked shots/games played behind Tanev).

Edler ranks 69th in the league for HITS/GP by defencemen.

Edler ranks 49th in the league for total hits by defencemen. 

In any event, I think the team did a great job dealing with his absence last night - time will tell if they can sustain that level of play long-term? 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think we have to understand that 'hitting' or being a physical presence isn't exactly Edler's game, but since you asked:

Edler ranks 1st on the team in blocked shots (but 2nd on the team in Blocked shots/games played behind Tanev).

In any event, I think the team did a great job dealing with his absence last night - time will tell if they can sustain that level of play long-term? 

According to this page Tryamkin is ahead of Edler and Sbisa for hits.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-hits-statistics/2016/

ps. Gudbranson ahead of Tryamkin, ahead of Sbisa, ahead of Edler.

Edited by SilentSam

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

And if they can't sustain, that will justify the losses suffered when he was playing? Having called up available players from Utica to replace him should be enough to win as though he was here. 

12 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

And if they can't sustain, that will justify the losses suffered when he was playing? Having called up available players from Utica to replace him should be enough to win as though he was here. 

I don't care how you want to justify it - you take the two best/most experienced d off any team in this league and the level of play for that team is eventually going to suffer, likely resulting in losses where there may not have been before the injuries.   Say what you want,  but sadly Elder/Tanev were our version of Keith/Seabrook or Muzzin/Doughty and their injuries will negatively impact this club.

21 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't care how you want to justify it - you take the two best/most experienced d off any team in this league and the level of play for that team is eventually going to suffer, likely resulting in losses where there may not have been before the injuries.   Say what you want,  but sadly Elder/Tanev were our version of Keith/Seabrook or Muzzin/Doughty and their injuries will negatively impact this club.

I was replying only on missing Edler as your above quote states. Not in regards to losing BOTH tanev and edler. That is horrifying. I do say what i want and do agree that Edler/Tanev are our version of Keith/Seabrook or Muzzin/Doughty,but  "not sadly" in Tanevs case.I see "sadly" that the defenseman that you choose to regard higher(which is perfectly acceptable) you feel is a" sad" equivalent to those others you pointed out.

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

I was replying only on missing Edler as your above quote states. Not in regards to losing BOTH tanev and edler. That is horrifying. I do say what i want and do agree that Edler/Tanev are our version of Keith/Seabrook or Muzzin/Doughty,but  "not sadly" in Tanevs case.I see "sadly" that the defenseman that you choose to regard higher(which is perfectly acceptable) you feel is a" sad" equivalent to those others you pointed out.

You have no idea whom I regard as "higher" so I'd appreciate it if you don't make assumptions on that. 

• Upvote 1

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed in Nikita's level of aggression in the past couple of games.  Not sure if he's being coached not to go for the big hit because it risks him being caught out of position, but from what I've seen, he isn't physically punishing the opposing forwards in our end of the ice.  He blocks them out, he swats them away if they are near the goalie, but along the boards he doesn't hit as much or as hard as I thought he might.  I wonder if he's concerned about injuring anyone, I think he looked shocked when he was involved in Brad Richardson's injury a few games ago.  

15 minutes ago, skategal said:

I have to say I've been a bit disappointed in Nikita's level of aggression in the past couple of games.  Not sure if he's being coached not to go for the big hit because it risks him being caught out of position, but from what I've seen, he isn't physically punishing the opposing forwards in our end of the ice.  He blocks them out, he swats them away if they are near the goalie, but along the boards he doesn't hit as much or as hard as I thought he might.  I wonder if he's concerned about injuring anyone, I think he looked shocked when he was involved in Brad Richardson's injury a few games ago.  

I was just going to comment on the same thing. He's not noticed as much as he was at the start of the season. He needs to bring back the mean in his game and start laying the body more. Yes, he will get caught out of position from time to time, but the lasting effects of a 6'7" threat for a big hit can be long lasting and mentally impactful, especially when they see it happen in person. It also wouldn't hurt if he would drop the gloves, once in a while, to really drive the message home.

When he's not making his pressence felt, he really turns into a non factor.