The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Vancouver has a tough time with Russian players. I find it interesting given the fact that Vancouver played a pivotal role in Russian players coming to the NHL.

- Chubarov left abruptly after a career high 12 goals.
- Kirill Koltsov bolts mid-season after putting up some very dominant AHL numbers
- Fedor Fedorov had potential, but I think he just wasn't nearly as good as we though. Either way he didn't succeed here.  

- Shirokov lead our AHL team in goals both seasons and only received 8 games. Scored a goal in his second call-up and was benched right after. 

- Tryamkin left
- Burmistrov left

Hope Goldobin finally turns things around for us! 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Pouliot was supposed to be such a guy.   Yes.  And although he is probably our most dynamic, pp-style defensemen I am not at all convinced he's the guy we need.  MAYBE he's our poor-mans second pp guy.  He's certainly looked better than I anticipated so maybe I'm wrong about his ceiling as well, but unless Juolevi becomes an absolute stud for us, by my calculations we need one really strong (star) defenseman fairly quickly if we want to be truly competitive.  Out lack of scoring from the blueline ks, quite frankly, embarassing.

All true.  

But I think it is an improvement to be able to see a competent future d core built from developing what we currently have rather than depending on needing to find three or four more guys.  This is looking like progress on the back end to me.  

15 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I agree with you on wanting a cup. Have been a fan forever and I feel your pain. Where I disagree is compromising on character. Personally I believe character produces championships. Try  is a guy who quit on his team because wah wah wah. 

So for me I say see you later. I want top to bottom heart and soul guys. Not selfish whiners. 

Isn't "whining" what your doing when you say this ...

16 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I completely disagree. The organization comes first. Not the employee or the boss.  Nux are on their way to an exciting rebuild. Guys who bailed are out. Try is not a character guy. Look lots of people have put the organization ahead of their own selfish needs. He didn't. See ya later. 

.. make sure you pack your Kleenex when you go to work.   The Situation with Tryamkin will play out the way it plays out..  If Tryamkin comes back to the NHL,. we can all only hope it's in a Canucks jersey.. whether he sticks or not.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Holy hell, what a close-minded view, based on nothing remotely similar. He's not an "employee", he's a "contractor". All NHL players are. And his contract was done - he took what he felt was a better offer for him and his family. He was well within his rights to do so.

Tryamkin had a new wife and baby, and wanted to be close to his family. It could have been completely to appease his wife - but of course he's not going to blame her in the media. He didn't just go back to Russia, he specifically went to his hometown team. Believe me, having the support of family when you have a new baby - especially your first - is a big deal.

Try showed glimpses of becoming a unique and impactful player in this league. And his play in the KHL this year is indicating those glimpses are becoming realities - and faster than anyone expected. If he decides to come back to the NHL, you're a damned fool if you wouldn't welcome him back with open arms.

I don't think they are. Can you show proof of that statement? I think you will find they don't meet Tax rules for being Contractors. This includes Russians, Swedes etc.

"Taxes

Most Canadian NHL players are considered to be employees rather than independent contractors. This means their salaries are taxed the same as the average working Canadian, just at the highest rate. That multimillion dollar payday may translate to less than 50% overall. Bonuses are usually taxed the same way as salaries but endorsements can be different.

If a pro player lands an endorsement deal, it’s usually in his/her best interest to form a corporation for this income. Lower tax rates apply to corporations, lessening the overall tax burden. Also, expenses may be claimed by the corporation; an option not available with salary income.

Donations can be an excellent means to lowering a pro athlete’s tax burden."

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

I don't think they are. Can you show proof of that statement? I think you will find they don't meet Tax rules for being Contractors. This includes Russians, Swedes etc.

"Taxes

Most Canadian NHL players are considered to be employees rather than independent contractors. This means their salaries are taxed the same as the average working Canadian, just at the highest rate. That multimillion dollar payday may translate to less than 50% overall. Bonuses are usually taxed the same way as salaries but endorsements can be different.

If a pro player lands an endorsement deal, it’s usually in his/her best interest to form a corporation for this income. Lower tax rates apply to corporations, lessening the overall tax burden. Also, expenses may be claimed by the corporation; an option not available with salary income.

Donations can be an excellent means to lowering a pro athlete’s tax burden."

Contractors...as in contract workers - as in signing a contract to work for only a specific period. I'm not talking about taxation. :picard:

NHL players are hired guns.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Contractors...as in contract workers - as in signing a contract to work for only a specific period. I'm not talking about taxation. :picard:

NHL players are hired guns.

Yes but you said they were not "employees"  - they are. 

Most employees are given a contract to sign when joining a firm. It often sets out work description, benefits wages/salary etc. 

The fact you are "not talking about taxation" is actually immaterial as contracts of employment are actually how the person is taxed and has to comply with CRA and IRS.

So you can't call a player a "contractor" when in fact he is legally and in the eyes of the relevant tax authority an "employee"

If you are meaning something else entirely, then you should not be so inaccurate, nor be so liberal with the head smack. 

56 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Most employees are given a contract to sign when joining a firm. It often sets out work description, benefits wages/salary etc. 

The fact you are "not talking about taxation" is actually immaterial as contracts of employment are actually how the person is taxed and has to comply with CRA and IRS.

So you can't call a player a "contractor" when in fact he is legally and in the eyes of the relevant tax authority an "employee"

If you are meaning something else entirely, then you should not be so inaccurate, nor be so liberal with the head smack. 

Nobody here cares what the IRS or CRA consider hockey players to be. They have many rules that are not particularly reasonable. And even if you are correct, it does not make Tram a traitor or a person of poor character for complying with his contract, expecting the team to do the same, and when his contract expired, making a choice to keep his wife happy.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I'm having visions of an umbrella PP with dahlin up top, Boeser to his left and pettersson to his right..

my god 

Fantastic. And to my point. We have a bright future. Imagine winning the lottery and adding Dahlin.

Tryamkin is a talented guy but the nux need to move on from him.  Character is lacking. Commitment to the team who drafted him is non existent. 

27 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Fantastic. And to my point. We have a bright future. Imagine winning the lottery and adding Dahlin.

Tryamkin is a talented guy but the nux need to move on from him.  Character is lacking. Commitment to the team who drafted him is non existent. 

Why is loyalty measured by the NHL team who drafted him. Isn't taking LESS money to play for his hometown team and benefit his family a show of MORE character? 

On what planet does commitment to a foreign multi-million-dollar business supersede commitment to your home, family, and country?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Why is loyalty measured by the NHL team who drafted him. Isn't taking LESS money to play for his hometown team and benefit his family a show of MORE character? 

On what planet does commitment to a foreign multi-million-dollar business supersede commitment to your home, family, and country?

Why is loyalty measured by the NHL team who drafted him. 

haha hahaha it just is partner.  

14 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I used to be referred to as a dedicated contractor for Shell Oil. My company was restricted from dealing with any other oil company and our revenue was in essence decided unilaterally with consultation (:rolleyes:). I have often wondered if hockey players ever contract in the same way through a holding company. Elite players have additional revenue streams through endorsements. Many also support charitable orgs which could lend itself to a corporate structure. 

I have no 'insider' information about this but have always been curious. My impression is that many hockey players are not traditional employees but I doubt their status is much different than that of other major league sport in NA.   

14 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Nobody here cares what the IRS or CRA consider hockey players to be. They have many rules that are not particularly reasonable. And even if you are correct, it does not make Tram a traitor or a person of poor character for complying with his contract, expecting the team to do the same, and when his contract expired, making a choice to keep his wife happy.

I never mentioned Tryamkin, pay attention.

I corrected a guy who thought he could sort another poster out with blatant inaccuracies. I've said all I'm interested in saying about Tryamkin in previous posts.

Using "traitor" in that context is just you being childish imo. The player has left, get over it.

• Upvote 1