The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think this is why it is so important to get Tryamkin over here asap.......

I have said this all along.......IMO, Tryamkin can play top 4, and he is far more versatile than Myers, being able to play both sides, and he will be substantially cheaper

IMO, you go over there and buy him out............we have no formal agreement with the KHL

So, IMO, that makes it ok to approach Yek. Auto, and even if we can not, his agent can buy him out....it is simply a shell game

We absolutely need to know how he handles the NHL game, this year

In our favor is that Yek. Auto has lot of defensemen, and will not miss Tryamkin as much.

4 years at 2.25 per...........very tradeable numbers

That would be wonderful, but I think it is too late to buy out his contract, and I don't think he would sign for 4 years at 2.25.

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

That would be wonderful, but I think it is too late to buy out his contract, and I don't think he would sign for 4 years at 2.25.

I don't know....The KHL is really hurting right now, but I honestly don't know the rules/CBA in the KHL

But with Covid disrupting things....are you sure he would not?.............I mean, he isn't getting more than a million is he???????

4 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know....The KHL is really hurting right now, but I honestly don't know the rules/CBA in the KHL

But with Covid disrupting things....are you sure he would not?.............I mean, he isn't getting more than a million is he???????

I don't know for sure, but the impression I have is that only the player can buy out his own contract, and he has to give the KHL team at least a full season's notice before doing it.

And while I could see him signing for 2.25/year, I suspect that he has enough confidence that he will want a show me contract, like 2 years term, expiring while he is still in his twenties so he can then sign a longer term contract for big bucks once he has demonstrated that he is worth it. 

Pretty sure his current salary is less than a million, but taxes are much lower there and I am sure the cost of living there is way lower than it is here in Vancouver, so a long term contract at 2.25 per wouldn't really net him that much financial benefit. Locking in long term at semi-proven player Covid year salary rates is not likely to be very appealing to him if he has any confidence in his value.

6 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't know for sure, but the impression I have is that only the player can buy out his own contract, and he has to give the KHL team at least a full season's notice before doing it. I am sure that it would probably include his agent as well...........I mean who knows, but I think it is to prevent the NHL clubs from getting directly  involved

And while I could see him signing for 2.25/year, I suspect that he has enough confidence that he will want a show me contract, like 2 years term, expiring while he is still in his twenties so he can then sign a longer term contract for big bucks once he has demonstrated that he is worth it. Myers just signed in Phili 3 years for 2.55 per year. Gavrikov 3 years @ 2.8 M per. and he played in the NHL the last 2 years....So, it could easily be a 3 year deal...probably would be...again who knows, but I would try signing past 3 years if I could......I could be wrong!

Pretty sure his current salary is less than a million, but taxes are much lower there and I am sure the cost of living there is way lower than it is here in Vancouver, so a long term contract at 2.25 per wouldn't really net him that much financial benefit. Locking in long term at semi-proven player Covid year salary rates is not likely to be very appealing to him if he has any confidence in his value. Well, I gotta think that those Russkies are over here for some reason.......But I get your point......again who knows?

I hope you understand, this is only debate.......Just putting my 2 cents worth in........you are just as right as I am!

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I hope you understand, this is only debate.......Just putting my 2 cents worth in........you are just as right as I am!

Yes, I understand, and I would be delighted if you were right. But I just don't see it happening. We will find out soon enough.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, I understand, and I would be delighted if you were right. But I just don't see it happening. We will find out soon enough.

Oh, I don't think it will happen......

The day of Jagr and Bure, just showing up are gone

And I just don't see Jimbo working that hard

Especially with no cap Space and no money

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh, I don't think it will happen......

The day of Jagr and Bure, just showing up are gone

And I just don't see Jimbo working that hard

Especially with no cap Space and no money

Oh, I am sure JB would bring him over here if he could. He most likely agrees that Tram would do a great job of filling the #3 right D slot.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I have said this all along.......IMO, Tryamkin can play top 4, and he is far more versatile than Myers, being able to play both sides, and he will be substantially cheaper

IMO, you go over there and buy him out............we have no formal agreement with the KHL

So, IMO, that makes it ok to approach Yek. Auto, and even if we can not, his agent can buy him out....it is simply a shell game

In our favor is that Yek. Auto has lot of defensemen, and will not miss Tryamkin as much.

There are a couple things you are missing in all this. 

If they move it, the deadline to sign would be in early February.  
KHL regular season doesn’t end until the end of February.  Then playoffs.  And his contract isn’t expired until the end of April.  

Also, the player has to buy himself out.  
The NHL team can’t pay for it. 

Him signing another year in Russia was the end of the NHL hope for this season.  
Unless he buys himself out before their season ends, which he will NOT do, he cannot play for us this year.  
I don’t know why people are still even thinking about this.   

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Although there's no formal transfer agreement (which could come in the future, Swiss NL just did), they do have an "understanding" where they will respect each other's contracts, and the NHL team can't put up the money for a buyout in the KHL. Has to be player initiated/funded. If we did circumvent the arrangement, it would a.) just give Bettman a reason to punish us again, b.) make the KHL harder for all teams to deal with, and c.) likely eliminate any chance of any formal agreements, imo. 

That said, maybe we could sweet talk the K, remind them of how we gave them back Burmistrov. :lol:

Guys, I know there is a letter of understanding

But as I say, his agent can buy him out.........meaning his agent comes up with the money

Not any NHL club.....................as I say it is a shell game

I know what I am suggesting has a extremely low, if not impossible chance of happening

I am just pointing out it could happen, not that it will

But as crazy as it sounds, the 2021 - 2022 season could start in October of next year

Meaning we could have this season and next seasons starting very close together

So, "IF" Tryamkin and Benning actually want him to play for the Canucks, it won't be long

Truthfully, as much as I want Tryamkin here.........it is starting to be a painful saga

• Cheers 3

33 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Guys, I know there is a letter of understanding

But as I say, his agent can buy him out.........meaning his agent comes up with the money

Not any NHL club.....................as I say it is a shell game

I know what I am suggesting has a extremely low, if not impossible chance of happening

I am just pointing out it could happen, not that it will

But as crazy as it sounds, the 2021 - 2022 season could start in October of next year

Meaning we could have this season and next seasons starting very close together

So, "IF" Tryamkin and Benning actually want him to play for the Canucks, it won't be long

Truthfully, as much as I want Tryamkin here.........it is starting to be a painful saga

Still, even if it was his agent putting up the $, it would cause problems. It would still be linked as a Canucks initiative from their perspective, as they were the team that benefits, and I'm not entirely sure a player agent would want the backlash from the KHL. Reading the KHL legal agreement, I interpreted that it has to be the player that puts up the $:

https://www.khl.ru/documents/KHL_legal_regulations_2020_eng.pdf?_ga=2.219185433.1241379354.1606749825-1257453532.1605401755  page 36, article 32.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

When did the Russians care about where the money came from Cs? ;)

Regardless of how this unfolds,  and yes, it’s been a bit of a saga..  I think this is the last year for Tryamkin to play in the KHL,.  He was poised sign with us recently after his last season.  Only affected by a management unclear on cap space and contracts in a wacky year .

The one year contract that is expiring soon, and the fact he waited for the Canucks to find room for this season, should be a clear signal to all parties of his interest.

Good for the Big Man to keep his legs active on the ice when others haven’t,  sure to be an upside in his game.

The KHL might be lucky to have this season finish on time, and if it does, Tryamkin should clearly have the opportunity to step over to the Canucks, who might be only into 1 or 2 months of the next season.

Well, if his team continues on this downward trend, maybe he'll put up the $ if JB can find a roster spot for him

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Just another example of a bad job done and because everyone drank the koolaid, another distraction from hardcore facts.

Talk about players and their performance but not the team and it's performance or management lack of performance.

The local media should be ramping up on their positions with team management, they can't keep whipping on the players. Tryamkin signed in the KHL less than 24 hours AFTER THE CANUCKS MADE THEIR OFFER. So what was that offer that was so bad it turned a player that just had a press conference saying how much he wanted t stay into bolting? BTW his wife liked Vancouver and spoke much better english. Just maybe he was naive enough that the idea of bargaining was over his head, you know how a team will say how bad he was or how much more he had to do or he had to listen to a coach that didn't talk to him or explain things, but he had to follow orders.

The thing is, and Benning knows this from his days in Boston, Tryamkin is coveted and their expectations were he could fill in behind Chara. He already showed he can do that vs McDavid and the best out on each team.

Tryamkin is easily a top 4 defensive dman and should be Hughes partner.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Still, even if it was his agent putting up the $, it would cause problems. It would still be linked as a Canucks initiative from their perspective, as they were the team that benefits, and I'm not entirely sure a player agent would want the backlash from the KHL. Reading the KHL legal agreement, I interpreted that it has to be the player that puts up the $:

https://www.khl.ru/documents/KHL_legal_regulations_2020_eng.pdf?_ga=2.219185433.1241379354.1606749825-1257453532.1605401755  page 36, article 32.

Great Find...I have never seen this before

But this is what I see....................that may be of help

I am not saying I am right in this matter, only that it is in there

a) if the Hockey Player has not reached by termination of the Contract 29 years, he shall pay the Club 2/3 of the earned remuneration (fee) amount that was not paid for the period remaining until the Contract expiry;

This is from 32.2 (a), and basically gives the hockey player the right to buy out his own contract. Now, I do not see where this excludes his agent being involved at any point, actually does not exclude the other clubs involvement. But since the agent acted in the players behalf, when the original contract was signed, I would think, he would be involved, in the early termination.........

Now this is where it gets tricky................Tryamkin would have to pay 2/3's of the remaining amount, which if I am understanding it right means, if the KHL season was to end by the end of March..............then if the Canucks wanted him over here to sign by January 31, 2021, then Tryamkin would owe  2/3's of Feb and March's remaining contract money..........Basically it is a get rich scheme for the KHL team...........so basically, "IF" Tryamkins contract was $600,000 per year (which I have not a clue what it is), and the season was 6 months long (again, I really do not know how long it will be), but the remaining money's owed would be in the range of $200,000, of which Tryamkin would have to pay back 2/3's of that money, meaning approx. $130,000, which is not really all that much money, to terminate early, so he can come to Vancouver and sign this year, by the last day of Free agency signing period. To then sign a Canuck contract, which would give him an approx. $2,000,000 per year salary, of which he would be to be paid 3/4 's of that $2,000,000...........(= $1,500,000 2020-2021 Canuck Salary)

So even, if that were the case, and escrow was 25%, he would still get 75% of that 1.5 million, which would be approx. $1,150,000 dollars, and even with a 50% tax rate, he still would be clearing $575,000 for the season, compared to the approx. $200,000 he would keep in the KHL. Keep in mine that the escrow tax is only really a deferred deduction, so really he is being paid somewhere around $750,000 after tax dollars, instead of the $200,000 for playing the remaining part of the KHL.

Bottom line $750,000 after tax dollars on the Canucks

or................$200,000 after tax dollars in the KHL

So. Again...I am not a lawyer, so I could be very wrong......................

But as long as the Canucks, who are part of the letter of understanding with the KHL, do not get involved, I am see it as a fair game for Tryamkin's lawyer to be involved.

PS...........I just was spit balling numbers, so don't go all Accountant on me....

• Cheers 1