The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind that our top 4 is vastly improved from when he was here last. Without an injury, he has zero chance of nabbing a top 4 role...and that's perfectly ok!

All he needs to do is show up and be a solid, third pair, net clearing, PK'ing defender.  Which he's shown capable of. 

I agree that he’d look to fill a top 5-6 spot, at least as a starting point, and that’s exactly the spot that we’ve struggled within our lineup the past couple of years. Plus, with the injuries we’ve had on defense in recent history, he’ll be a very solid, consistent contributor. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we find some way to bring him over for part of this season. The Canadian rivalries will be intense and playoff style, and right now we don’t size up well in terms of intimidation with some of our back end. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind that our top 4 is vastly improved from when he was here last. Without an injury, he has zero chance of nabbing a top 4 role...and that's perfectly ok!

All he needs to do is show up and be a solid, third pair, net clearing, PK'ing defender.  Which he's shown capable of. 

Exactly, theres also a lot less pressure on him this time around since we have a better defensive core. I feel there was a lot of pressure on his play last time around and the need for him to turn into a top 4 D. Now less so. With Edler and Benn both likely leaving and Myers potentially getting picked in expansion there are spots to fill.

Id be happy with a lineup like this after next year.

Hughes-Rafferty

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Tryamkin

17 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I agree that he’d look to fill a top 5-6 spot, at least as a starting point, and that’s exactly the spot that we’ve struggled within our lineup the past couple of years. Plus, with the injuries we’ve had on defense in recent history, he’ll be a very solid, consistent contributor. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we find some way to bring him over for part of this season. The Canadian rivalries will be intense and playoff style, and right now we don’t size up well in terms of intimidation with some of our back end. 

I HIGHLY doubt we see him this season. And that's ok too! Keeps him expansion protected and I'm hoping we still nab a Hamonic/Hainsey/Vatanen for this year.

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Exactly, theres also a lot less pressure on him this time around since we have a better defensive core. I feel there was a lot of pressure on his play last time around and the need for him to turn into a top 4 D. Now less so. With Edler and Benn both likely leaving and Myers potentially getting picked in expansion there are spots to fill.

Hughes-Rafferty

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Tryamkin

Edler will almost certainly be back. 

And Rafferty, if he even proves to be an NHL player, is more likely to be something like Yanik Weber than Shea Weber. 

I'd be shocked if he's playing first pair anywhere, let alone here, in two years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I HIGHLY doubt we see him this season. And that's ok too! Keeps him expansion protected and I'm hoping we still nab a Hamonic/Hainsey/Vatanen for this year.

And Rafferty, if he even proves to be an NHL player, is more likely to be something like Yanik Weber than Shea Weber. 

I'd be shocked if he's playing first pair anywhere, let alone here, in two years.

I've been thinking Raff might be a Pouliot comparable. Would be nice if he could play better defense than Poul, but that remains to be seen.

On Tram, I don't think he can play for us this season anyways, and I agree that's actually a good thing with the ED.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

More like Shea Theodore, per Cull.

I'll see if I can dig out the reference (it'll be a lockdown project cos iirc was made during a Comets intermission interview - that's a lot of viewing of old game videos)

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

I've been thinking Raff might be a Pouliot comparable. Would be nice if he could play better defense than Poul, but that remains to be seen.

On Tram, I don't think he can play for us this season anyways, and I agree that's actually a good thing with the ED.

They just finished playing in the same league: Pouliot was -21, Rafferty was +17. One pundit commented that he didn’t see Rafferty make a bad defensive play all season. I saw a lot of Rafferty last year, but I don’t claim that he never made a mistake, but he was the best all round defender in Utica.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

They just finished playing in the same league: Pouliot was -21, Rafferty was +17. One pundit commented that he didn’t see Rafferty make a bad defensive play all season. I saw a lot of Rafferty last year, but I don’t claim that he never made a mistake, but he was the best all round defender in Utica.

Thats great news!

I think +/- can be a deceptive stat, and it's nice to see that, but I try to keep my expectations reasonable in order to minimize my disappointment.

35 minutes ago, Googlie said:

More like Shea Theodore, per Cull.

I'll see if I can dig out the reference (it'll be a lockdown project cos iirc was made during a Comets intermission interview - that's a lot of viewing of old game videos)

I'd be pleasantly surprised. Not holding my breath though.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's probably a great comparison. He will be a guy that struggles a bit 5 on 5 but can be an asset on the power play. 

11 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

That's probably a great comparison. He will be a guy that struggles a bit 5 on 5 but can be an asset on the power play. 

A good #6-7, complimentary, depth, 2nd PP guy. Anything more than that is gravy.

Happy to have him blow by those expectations though.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

A good #6-7, complimentary, depth, 2nd PP guy. Anything more than that is gravy.

Happy to have him blow by those expectations though.

Agent

Honestly man...if all Tryamkin has in him is a 6 or 7, why sign him. Why would Benning still want him? They are a dime a dozen. Hell, Benn is still that.(6/7)

Imagine him not being as good as Juolevi, who will potentially be a 5? and Your are saying Tryamkin won't be that good? Really?

Geesh!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Tryamkin smash! 

21 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Agent

Honestly man...if all Tryamkin has in him is a 6 or 7, why sign him. Why would Benning still want him? They are a dime a dozen. Hell, Benn is still that.(6/7)

Imagine him not being as good as Juolevi, who will potentially be a 5? and Your are saying Tryamkin won't be that good? Really?

Geesh!

Reading comprehension guys...:picard:

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

On 12/26/2020 at 8:19 AM, UKNuck96 said:

I would rather we protect Myers if we could, if however we can leverage that spot to pry a better D man from say tampa or Dallas or some such then of course I’m happy to have him exposed. I think his contract isn’t as bad as people make out and we did get him at a discount.

in the playoffs he showed how much he was missed when he was out the line up. He isn’t flashy but he does the hard work and is reasonable good at skating the puck out of the D zone.

i would prefer both him and Tryamkin on the same team as that adds a lot of size that can also skate well and move the puck well (not as good as Hughes and Schmitt but not something to be overlooked) 

if we want a mean, big D that doesn’t get pushed around we need players like Myers and Tryamkin not either or

Ya I don't get the Myers hate from a certain part of our fanbase. 

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Rafferty

Juolevi-Schmidt

Rathbone-Tryamkin

I can't see Rafferty ever being a top pairing guy on any team with playoff aspirations. I think Woo has way higher upside than him and Woo is likely a solid 4-5. If we don't bring Edler back and Myers for some reason is gone (not sure why) that 12 million would have to be used to get another top 3 RHD.

Personally I'd keep Myers we are not a better team without him and we  have like 27 mill in cap space. Even after we sign our 3 RFAs Benning should have at least 10 million left to upgrade the D assuming rookies replace most of the expiring contracts which seems likely.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Reading comprehension guys...:picard:

These are your word

What I understand that to mean, is that you expect him to be a 6/7

But if he were more that would be great (gravy)

These don't sound like words from a guy who thinks he will be more.........

Like I said, if that is all Benning thinks he has.....why say we want him? You can get a 6/7 on the street corner

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

These are your word

What I understand that to mean, is that you expect him to be a 6/7

But if he were more that would be great (gravy)

These don't sound like words from a guy who thinks he will be more.........

Like I said, if that is all Benning thinks he has.....why say we want him? You can get a 6/7 on the street corner

Jebus Jan, read the bolded and underlined portion of the post :lol: The other posters and I were also discussing Rafferty.

As for Tryamkin, I see his ceiling as a likely #4-5, defensive guy.

Juolevi, FWIW I think has as high of a ceiling as a #2-3 two way D.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Jebus Jan, read the bolded and underlined portion of the post :lol: The other posters and I were also discussing Rafferty.

As for Tryamkin, I see his ceiling as a likely #4-5, defensive guy.

Juolevi, FWIW I think has as high of a ceiling as a #2-3 two way D.

Oops! Sorry! Image result for Embarrassed Emojis

Well, I am glad we got that cleared up! LOL

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oops! Sorry! Image result for Embarrassed Emojis

Well, I am glad we got that cleared up! LOL

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If it’s any consolation Jan,  I was just about ready to ride shotgun with you..   I only read this page ;) 

I know this isn't en vogue in today's Twitter and Facebook world, but perhaps a lesson to actually read and understand another person's full point and perspective before barreling off on a reactionary rant...? ;)

You think you guys would have clued in a bit too at the 'complementary offensive/PP 2' comments. Tryamkin is a lot of things, but complimentary offensive/PP2 is not the first words if use to describe him :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1