The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks Open to More Trades?

Why? Benning never made that offer, it was a complete fabrication. Shinkaruk is going nowhere.

Please do not trade away our picks when we're trying to restock -- especially 2015s.

well reputable fabricators dont show their asses. When someone reputable as Pierre Labrun says it....he has a reputation to uphold. He isnt a slimball as others are. . Benning also denied it on the radio...so who knows. Again as I reiterated, Im glad he is still with us and look forward to seeing him thru. If not, then I hope the returns on any Shinkaruk trade are great.

We have NYR 5th round from Diaz trade but lost 3rd and 7th pick.

Flyers are rumoured to pretty much buy out Lecavalier if they can't make a deal with any team, the other 3 are pretty close to the cap and they might be looking at some outside help. The Kings are most likely content with their team, but who knows.

Man if that's true, Vinny will be the highest paid player in the league. He's already getting paid the equivalent of about 4.75 million for about the next 4 years to NOT play for the Lightning + he'll get paid about the equivalent of 3.5 million to NOT play for the Flyers + whatever deal he signs next year. Vinny's got this hockey as a profession thing figured out. Lol.

i honestly wonder how much the aqua man will be willing to spend . I Think we have to consider the fact that he bought out Booth and is paying for a coach and g.m that aren't here anymore . I just wonder if he will add that money to a considered budget .

If you were the owner would you ?

i honestly wonder how much the aqua man will be willing to spend . I Think we have to consider the fact that he bought out Booth and is paying for a coach and g.m that aren't here anymore . I just wonder if he will add that money to a considered budget .

He still has to win back the fanbase also playoffs make him more money

Yes... because you are am incredibly profitable team even with those costs, and the surest way to lose is to show your players, fans, and corporate box holders that you want to pocket the money instead.

Keep in mind that they are advertising for people to buy season's tickets. That means many people didn't renew, and not enough people on the waiting list stepped in to buy. Combine that with the tickets reserved to single games possibly not being snapped up, and our sellout streak ends this year.

Add to that, Linden made a promise to seasons ticket holders that they could get a refund by July 11th if they did not like the direction the team is heading. As much as a person can appreciate a brighter future... do you want to be paying that kind of cash over the next few years for a team that won't be competing on the nightly basis?

They're filthy rich, they have so much money wouldn't they rather see some entertaining hockey for themselves to see rather than being cheap and never seeing a competitive hockey team? I mean come on, if I was them I'd give 70 million away just to see a damn Cup if I was them.

I wonder how much of an asset we could get for taking on Lecavalier's contract (assuming he would agree to come here).

He probably plays 2-3 more years before retiring when the real dollars that he gets for his contract drop.

$4.5 million is no big pain to absorb since we will have at least a couple of players on ELCs for that timeframe. With the cap going up, that is 3rd line dollars in a couple years anyways.

You could build a pretty deep lineup really quickly with the empty cap space. Here is an example roster (note I moved out Burrows, Hansen, and Markstrom). This is a much better lineup than we had last year and could actually match up size-wise with the California teams.

I am not saying this exact roster is likely or possible, but certainly a sample of what we could get with picking up spare parts from cap crunched teams. Before you get your shorts in a knot about Horvat not developing on the 4th line... look at the line and you will see it is effectively a 3rd line and would be getting similar minutes as you roll 4 lines.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Milan Michalek ($4.000m)

Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Zack Kassian ($1.250m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Linden Vey ($1.100m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($2.500m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jonas Hiller ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,069,167; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,930,833

He wasn't even good enough to be a second line centre in the east, how do you think he will fair in the West? He is done. He's had more than a few surgeries on his hands/wrists. He's broken many bones in his career and he has a ton of miles on him. Loved Vinny in his prime but in his current state with his current contract he is a huge detriment to this team and everything we're going for.

They're filthy rich, they have so much money wouldn't they rather see some entertaining hockey for themselves to see rather than being cheap and never seeing a competitive hockey team? I mean come on, if I was them I'd give 70 million away just to see a damn Cup if I was them.

I think that was part of the problem with the previous regime. The Aquallinis are literally invested fans and want to see us win so bad that they lost sight of the future and even reality really. I think Tortorella was a godsend and he really opened the aquallinis eyes. Sure he had his faults, but he brought an outside, realist perspective to the team and without him who knows if the Aquallinis would be even willing to sacrifice the now for the tomorrow. This is as good a prospect pool as a collective as I've ever seen as a Canucks fan since I moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver and forever switched my loyalty 15 years ago. We are in an amazing position right now as a franchise. Every team in our conference and pretty much in the league, aside from Buffalo and San Jose(San jose still will mop the floor with us next year) will be improving next year. The top 5 next year is incredible and if we don't overpay on a free agent and use this year as a transition year for youth, we will have our Henrik Sedin replacement next year, and possibly better thank Hank!

I'm pretty sure Trevor is talking about players who aren't crappy and are just a cap dump. He's looking for guys that other teams might be thinking about off loading who still have some value. I would he would be talking about maybe a guy like Kris Versteeg or possibly a defender like Johnny Oduya, who might be players that Chicago might be looking to trade but can't find a team for their cap hits.

No way imo are Versteeg or Oduya coming here. Totally the wrong type. Setoguchi maybe but not these two "past-its"

I was reading that the jets are having some what of a fire sale excluding a few players, but I believe Kane is available. I think his style of play would fit into this new culture that JB is trying to create.

Tanev, Hansen, Gaunce for Kane maybe?

I don't want to lose Gaunce. I think he is a real cerebral player who will make any line tick. If they are getting Tanev and Hansen/Higgins the most I would add is Schroeder.

I agree that Kane would fit in well with JB's plans but I don't know, is there not concerns over his mindset?

Personally I would prefer to look at players like Byfuglien, Bogosian, Frolik, or especially Blake Wheeler (interestingly he was 3 years in Boston)

Ownership, Linden & Benning hopefully know what's up as far as the future goes. The Sedins are done as franchise horses. There are some good players coming up, but no sure fire franchise player as of yet.

Well Boston won a cup with no franchise players. We shouldn't get obsessed with draft numbers.

He wasn't even good enough to be a second line centre in the east, how do you think he will fair in the West? He is done. He's had more than a few surgeries on his hands/wrists. He's broken many bones in his career and he has a ton of miles on him. Loved Vinny in his prime but in his current state with his current contract he is a huge detriment to this team and everything we're going for.

Vinny scored 20 goals 7 of the last 7 82 game seasons. 6'3'' and 214lbs. He was only not a second line center in Philly where they have MVP candidate Giroux, 5th overall pick Schenn, and wonder kid Couturiere.

Post Ryan Kesler, you dont think he would be second line here?

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see Boston want to dump Eriksson to help retain Iginla. I'd take him and some picks or prospects...

Probably one or two of Seidenberg, Boychuk or McQuaid will be moved.

They are too deep on defense since rookies stepped up big this year due to injuries on the back end.

Hence why they will move a veteran defenseman.

Archived