The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Are We Out Of Cap Space?

BurgerKing

Our defence is surprisingly great value compared to some of the others out there. Bieksa, Edler, Hamhuis and Tanev all for 17-18M. Then you've got Sbisa/Corrado/Stanton/Weber for scraps filling out our bottom pairing quite nicely.

We're getting burned with the Miller and Vbrata deals but they're only short term until this team is ready to dish out some heavy contracts to its youngsters. Lack, Kassian, Jensen, Horvat and Shinkaruk will command big dollars in about 3 or 4 years once the 11M of "rentals" has expired and hopefully Burrows is gone by then too. 4.5M for a 3rd or 4th liner is a joke.

Gillis gave Burrows that contract to make up for him taking less before. The NTC along with it though was idiotic.

Daniel Sedin 7 mil for 16 goals last year

Burrows 4.5 for 5 goals

Miller = over priced when we have Lack

and too many Hansen Higgins Matthias clones ship out a higgins = 2.5

7+6+4.5+2.5 =20 million on 4 players that may be completely useless for us

Daniel Sedin 7 mil for 16 goals last year

Burrows 4.5 for 5 goals

Miller = over priced when we have Lack

and too many Hansen Higgins Matthias clones ship out a higgins = 2.5

7+6+4.5+2.5 =20 million on 4 players that may be completely useless for us

So you picked I injury plagued year for your useless comment.

Burrows, Edler, Bieksa, Hansen = $15.7 million

Some people look at Edler's cap hit and think it's a good deal. No, it's a good deal if he's playing well. It's brutal if he's got the worst +/- in the league. Yet people look the other way. Go figure.

Gillis gave Burrows that contract to make up for him taking less before. The NTC along with it though was idiotic.

So was giving money to a third liner for previous performance having his stats boosted by the best passers in the league knowing full well that he should look at getting a proper first liner in the next few years. Where was that money supposed to come from? Oh yeah the money he overpaid Burrows for.

Some people look at Edler's cap hit and think it's a good deal. No, it's a good deal if he's playing well. It's brutal if he's got the worst +/- in the league. Yet people look the other way. Go figure.

Yep I hear ya. If Eddie can put up points it's not overly bad but he'll never be a good defender of the puck. It was so obvious at that point and time that the contrract was going to screw us. Just think of the assets we could have gotten. Most likely we'd have a young stud dman far better than Eddy at about half the price right now. Oh Gillis.

Shame is we only really need 2 our those 4 guys I listed and could replace them all with two $7 million dollar players.

I'd be more concerned if we weren't spending to the cap. There are plenty of unknowns going into this season and a huge one is

team chemistry. With a new coach that will bring a different style of play and a bunch of new players, it remains to be seen how

quickly the team can adapt and gel together. We have to be good right out of the gate and stay consistent. I am optimistic because

the focus of the new management group is to roll 4 lines and get balanced scoring. 33 year old goalies are still in there prime and

Bonino and Vrbata have good records in the shootout, which should steal us a few bonus points.

Remember to tape up those ankles before you jump off the bandwagon :P

Can't believe how stupid and ignorant most posters here are.

WHAT more can you do in such a short period of time? Sign all the top UFA's to minimum contracts and trade for all the great young guys with ELC's for our 'old' overpaid 3rd liners as you so kindly refer to? Hello, shit takes time, yes?

I'd suggest you 50/50 fans should cheer for someone else and the rest of you worry more about what it all will look like in 2-3 years. That's more interesting, as the team will look more like JB's team then. Did you guys know the team was full of guys signed by someone else to contracts? You can't just go around throwing away everything. And after the year we had, many deserve a second chance. Guys like "Burr the 3rd/4th liner" has saved our asses more than once and everyone is throwing him under the bus after the season we had under Torts & MG desperately trying to hold on to his job.

I understand summer is tough when you can't blame the goalie for soft goals every other night, but jeez, go out and find a girlfriend or something to do...

Can't believe how stupid and ignorant most posters here are.

WHAT more can you do in such a short period of time? Sign all the top UFA's to minimum contracts and trade for all the great young guys with ELC's for our 'old' overpaid 3rd liners as you so kindly refer to? Hello, crap takes time, yes?

I'd suggest you 50/50 fans should cheer for someone else and the rest of you worry more about what it all will look like in 2-3 years. That's more interesting, as the team will look more like JB's team then. Did you guys know the team was full of guys signed by someone else to contracts? You can't just go around throwing away everything. And after the year we had, many deserve a second chance. Guys like "Burr the 3rd/4th liner" has saved our asses more than once and everyone is throwing him under the bus after the season we had under Torts & MG desperately trying to hold on to his job.

I understand summer is tough when you can't blame the goalie for soft goals every other night, but jeez, go out and find a girlfriend or something to do...

haha, 2400 posts and yet that opening line....

Archived