The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Are We Out Of Cap Space?

BurgerKing

After signing Kassian, Tanev and Vey we will essentially be spending as much as all the top teams in the league, how is this possible? It doesn't compute. On paper the only teams that appear to have less talent than us in the west are AZ, NSH and CGY. Looking at our roster on capgeek feels the same as looking at your bank account after going on a bender in Vegas.

We need to trade Burrows, Higgins, Hansen all of that = 9.5 million in capspace just from 3 contracts that are solid 3rd liners :picard:

How are Philly Chicago Boston and TBay getting under the cap is a better question.

Trading is about their only options, especially for Boston.

Teams can exceed cap by, I think 10% during summer. They just have to be under before the puck drops.

Lots of time for these guys and you never know who gets injured in camp and gets to go on LTIR.

Our "saviour" Benning dished out $11m to 2 33 year old players. Benning is great isn't he?

Thats pretty short sighted. Benning has shown more mental capacity, inteligence, foresight, intestinal fortitude, and balls in 2 days than Gilis did during his entire tenure as GM.

Vrbata is a 2 year contract and miller is 3, both these players give us the stability we need to be competitive during a transition. Vrbata can easily be traded after this season to move up in the draft, especially if the sedins inflate his stats and he has a huge season. Miller could be moved too but I dont see us moving him not after 1 season at least. Some may argue that 5 mil is too much but with the drastic cap increase comes drastic salary increases, players aren't stupid, they're not going to ask for 2012 money in 2014.

In a couple years when we are looking at rolling up some of our prospects and putting together a cup team these guys contracts are up anyways. if we need them for a cup run we extend, if they're expendable we trade for some picks or prospects to keep this team a contender for years. Instead of burning out like most cup contending teams do after they make the SCF. Like we did after 2011 and NJ did after 2012. There's a reason Chicago and LA and Boston have made multiple appearances in the last 5 years, mostly great drafting but some trades and the ability to consistently bring in talent. There's a reason we didn't remain competitive, Gillis gave everyone away, literally, gave them away, not traded, let them walk as UFA.

There's always a much bigger picture than whats in front of us.

It's reported that Edler and Burrows refused to waive their NTC. Not suprised they had their worst season last season and don't want to leave the team as damaged goods. I would think their value will be higher come next season.

The team currently has $6.7 Million of Cap space. And I would think Canucks will trade Markstrom so that can add another $1.2 Million.

7.2 Million of Cap Space to sign Vey, Tanev, and Kassian will be enough and will have room for change.

After signing Kassian, Tanev and Vey we will essentially be spending as much as all the top teams in the league, how is this possible? It doesn't compute. On paper the only teams that appear to have less talent than us in the west are AZ, NSH and CGY. Looking at our roster on capgeek feels the same as looking at your bank account after going on a bender in Vegas.

1.) The owners/management want to keep the season ticket holders happy by giving them (at least the appearance of being) a competitive team for next year. And who knows, maybe they will be.

2.) Folks like to blame giving players an NTC, however, I believe they usually overlook the positives of such a move in regard to the likely reduction in the caphit. They also (usually) like and mostly overlook a NTC when the player is popular and productive and dislike it when they become inconvenient. Burrows had come off of seasons of 28, 35, 26, 28 and 13 goals prior to his current contract. Caphit comparables when he signed his current deal are guys like Erat (81 g, has a NMC). Fleischmann (101 g, has a NMC), Backes (139 g, has a NTC) and so on. Lots of folks were calling for the Canucks to pick these guys up. Burrows signed for similar money/caphit and shorter term. Also note his production compared to these other guys.

Burrows had an off year last season, mostly due to injuries. Does Erat only putting up 29 pts last season mean that he is also washed up? People knock Burrows saying that he was reliant on the Sedins for his scoring success. Perhaps this is true, however, some folks liked the idea of bringing back Ehrhoff, and he had his best seasons when he was here playing with the Sedins. So why is Burrows knocked for his success while Ehrhoff is applauded?

3.) Signing Miller for an additional year on his contract (taking it to 4 years), perhaps giving him a full NTC (he's got a limited NTC) and maybe for an extra couple of million over that term would give him a caphit of only $5 million rather than the current $6 million. If the same was done for Vrbata, he gets an extra year on his deal, a NTC of some sort, and an extra million or two over the term of the deal and he comes in with a $4 million caphit.

So, are people happy with shorter term/no NTC (or limited) and a bigger caphit?

regards,

G.

1.) The owners/management want to keep the season ticket holders happy by giving them (at least the appearance of being) a competitive team for next year. And who knows, maybe they will be.

2.) Folks like to blame giving players an NTC, however, I believe they usually overlook the positives of such a move in regard to the likely reduction in the caphit. They also (usually) like and mostly overlook a NTC when the player is popular and productive and dislike it when they become inconvenient. Burrows had come off of seasons of 28, 35, 26, 28 and 13 goals prior to his current contract. Caphit comparables when he signed his current deal are guys like Erat (81 g, has a NMC). Fleischmann (101 g, has a NMC), Backes (139 g, has a NTC) and so on. Lots of folks were calling for the Canucks to pick these guys up. Burrows signed for similar money/caphit and shorter term. Also note his production compared to these other guys.

Burrows had an off year last season, mostly due to injuries. Does Erat only putting up 29 pts last season mean that he is also washed up? People knock Burrows saying that he was reliant on the Sedins for his scoring success. Perhaps this is true, however, some folks liked the idea of bringing back Ehrhoff, and he had his best seasons when he was here playing with the Sedins. So why is Burrows knocked for his success while Ehrhoff is applauded?

3.) Signing Miller for an additional year on his contract (taking it to 4 years), perhaps giving him a full NTC (he's got a limited NTC) and maybe for an extra couple of million over that term would give him a caphit of only $5 million rather than the current $6 million. If the same was done for Vrbata, he gets an extra year on his deal, a NTC of some sort, and an extra million or two over the term of the deal and he comes in with a $4 million caphit.

So, are people happy with shorter term/no NTC (or limited) and a bigger caphit?

regards,

G.

I like short term with bigger caphit. I don't mind a limited NTC but not a full one. If we keep the ELC's flowing, we can afford to sign big name players to bigger dollars.

Why are we mad about not having any cap room left? Cap room is for retaining current talent and getting fresh via FA. We landed 2 of the top FA's and have enough money to keep our current talent (Tanev Kassian Vey)

What more could Benning do?

I don't thing Benning is done yet. I still think he's looking for another top 6 player.

Boston seems to be in some cap trouble. Hopefully Benning can snatch up Loui Eriksson for cheap. I think Eriksson could rekindle the magic he had between the twins at the World Championships.

I agree. I'm expecting one of Hansen/Higgins to get traded during training camp.

When was the last time Higgins played a full season also how much points did he put up down the stretch?

Last season only 27 guys from the top 100 scorers made it to 82 games, 74 in total across the entire NHL.

While Higgins hasn't scored 20 goals in any season he has been with the Canucks he has been fairly productive for a 3rd liner, once getting 18 goals and also 17 goals this past season.

I like him on this team.

regards,

G.

Why are we mad about not having any cap room left? Cap room is for retaining current talent and getting fresh via FA. We landed 2 of the top FA's and have enough money to keep our current talent (Tanev Kassian Vey)

What more could Benning do?

^ This!

It doesn't matter if we are spent to the cap now. It's not like we're trying to save money for Trade Deadline day. We WILL be sellers and that's ok with me. It takes time to clean up a mess. As a fan I'm excited and see the light at the end of the 3 year tunnel.

Out of all teams even though it looks like they are ok, Toronto is in a world of hurt, they need NHL bodies and they have almost 27million tied up in 5 forwards all with some form of NTC/NMC + their big pylon on defense making 7mill. CHI and BOS have smart management I suspect they will be fine and will find a way to get under the cap without losing much.

I like short term with bigger caphit. I don't mind a limited NTC but not a full one. If we keep the ELC's flowing, we can afford to sign big name players to bigger dollars.

But to address the OP's point, are we concerned about the amount of capspace eaten up by Miller and Vrbata's contracts and how that impacts on the amounts which can be offered to the team's RFA's, or who may have to be moved in order to make room should a trade come along?

And as I see it, a NTC is an NTC is an NTC. If you are the GM of the team and you want to trade me (why ever would you want to be rid of me :() and I had a full NTC then it is unlikely that I get moved anywhere unless you can convince me to waive. If I have a limited NTC you can ask for a list, but remember I am not under any obligation to co-operate with you with regard to your potential trading partners. You may hope that I pick teams which all offer a very good return. On the other hand, I could give you a list of teams who have zero interest in acquiring me, either because they have no need of a player at my position, or they have no available cap space.

How are you really that further ahead by giving out limited NTCs?

regards,

G.

Our "saviour" Benning dished out $11m to 2 33 year old players. Benning is great isn't he?

Not nearly as great as the dipshirt predecessor who left him this mess to clean up. At least he didn't sign Miller to I2 years.

I bet you blame Obama for Iraq, yeah?

Archived