The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shocking....Booth remain unsigned

Fred65

Funny how every other player gets excused for last years dismal offensive numbers, except Booth. He was coming off a major injury and wasnt 100% at the start of the year and regardless of what he did or how well he played, he was never promoted off the 3rd line. No PP time yet they would try everyone else . He was easily the Canucks hardest worker on most nights and that says something when you have players like Hanson, Burrows, Bieksa, tanev on your team.

His first season here he was on pace for over 20 goals and that was playing on a line with a very greedy Kesler. He gets injured in the shortened lockout season and had to deal with Torts last year.

Im sure if he does bounce back next year with 20 goals we are gonna see threads pop up from the same haters asking why he didnt put those numbers up here.

Funny how every other player gets excused for last years dismal offensive numbers, except Booth. He was coming off a major injury and wasnt 100% at the start of the year and regardless of what he did or how well he played, he was never promoted off the 3rd line. No PP time yet they would try everyone else . He was easily the Canucks hardest worker on most nights and that says something when you have players like Hanson, Burrows, Bieksa, tanev on your team.

His first season here he was on pace for over 20 goals and that was playing on a line with a very greedy Kesler. He gets injured in the shortened lockout season and had to deal with Torts last year.

Im sure if he does bounce back next year with 20 goals we are gonna see threads pop up from the same haters asking why he didnt put those numbers up here.

I agree. He was the player as advertised the first year until he had that knee on knee and from then on out it was injury after injury much like burrows kesler and to a lesser extent henrik (since he played through most of his)

Booth had bad luck but still has a few good years left i think.

Booth is in for large salary decrease if/when he signs again. I got the feeling his dedication to the game was questionable. It may not be worth it to him to continue playing for a fraction of what he used to.

Do you recall when he first came here he said something along the lines of "hockey isn't the most important thing in my life"

Well of course he may have been referring to family or even his religion but I thought that as he was being asked the question in a sporting sense then a more "hockey positive" reply might have been more suitable.

I must say it worried me at the time.

Booth was brought to Van to help firm up a 2nd line with Kesler as the 2C. It did not work out with Kesler but one might ask who did work out well with Kesler? Combine that with his injuries and his career ends up being in doubt. Bottom line is Booth is big, fast and will go to the net. His biggest problem in Van ended up being the size of his contract.

Booth was brought to Van to help firm up a 2nd line with Kesler as the 2C. It did not work out with Kesler but one might ask who did work out well with Kesler? Combine that with his injuries and his career ends up being in doubt. Bottom line is Booth is big, fast and will go to the net. His biggest problem in Van ended up being the size of his contract.

Sammy and MR seemed to do fine for a time. The best 2nd line we have had since AV became coach.

Do you recall when he first came here he said something along the lines of "hockey isn't the most important thing in my life"

Well of course he may have been referring to family or even his religion but I thought that as he was being asked the question in a sporting sense then a more "hockey positive" reply might have been more suitable.

I must say it worried me at the time.

I would like to see what the exact question was. I played AAA my entire childhood, and junior in my later teens. I'm 22 now and all I can say is, hockey isn't the biggest thing at all.

My faith (same as his) is above all of it. Family is second. Hockey is third. Does it take away from my commitment to hockey? Not at all. I love the game, and I busted my tail to be ready for a game. I played net and the team would never question my commitment, although if asked, it wasn't at the top of my priorities. I'm sure every Christian NHL'er would have the same answer. God and family is above hockey.

And please, I'm not interested in debating the existence of God. I won't criticize non-believers and I would hope y'all have the respect not to criticize mine and Booth's views.

Given the choice between Booth and Hansen at equal cap hit, I would take Booth.

I think that's the kind of money he's going to get paid now around 1.5 mill. Hoping he goes to a contending team in the East like Penguins, Rangers or even Red Wings would be a great fit for him.

Yup. Same Money, Booth>Hansen, by a comfortable margin.

As a Sub $2MM 3rd liner or a Sub $1MM 4th liner, his speed and size when he uses the body is worth it. We just got stuck paying him top dollar after a one year wonder 30 goal season. Not really knowing how/when those goals were scored, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Haha, troll... The guy just got married (to a hotter chick than you will ever get) and is on his honeymoon.

Besides that, he is getting paid the entire time he is away. I am sure he will sign somewhere like Detroit.

He had a better year than Burrows...

I agree. This type of thread is just silly. Booth is a great looking guy, incredible shape, super hot wife, and has made $25 million so far. I am sure he is crying himself to sleep how horrible his life has turned out.

I agree. Booth is the perfect candidate to take a modest contract to play for either...Detroit or Nashville.

His new wife is a former beauty-queen from Tennesee,...so good golly...do both of 'em sing, too?!! LOL. Choose Nashville!!! Imagine the potential of following goofy pro-hunting fitness-freak Booth...hanging-out or singing with his beautiful wife...as some new reality-show. Hey...it could happen!!! ;)

With Underwood & Fisher threatening to split-up...and I really hope those nasty rumours aren't true, sigh....there may even be a very unique-void or 2 to fill in that particular market place.

Booth & his gorgeous beauty will land on their feet & in very comfortable situations for both of them,.. no worries.

Given the choice between Booth and Burrows at equal cap hit, I would take Booth. Oh wait, that's what we sort of had (Booth: 1 year at $4.25M; Burrows 3 years at $4.5M) and obviously JB didn't share my opinion (and since JB knows infinitely more about hockey than me, I'll have to begrudgingly accept this move).

With that in mind, here is my rationale for my Booth over Burrows position:

Work ethic: Booth = Burrows - Booth (reputed to be work out freak, coming to camp in great shape) = Burrows (well documented how hard he worked to get to the NHL and stay in the NHL).

Contract: Booth > Burrows - Booth 1 year @ $4.25M > Burrows 3 years @ $4.5M

Size and physicality: Booth > Burrows

Speed: Booth > Burrows

Youth: Booth (29) > Burrows (33)

Intangibles: Booth < Burrows (desire, hate to lose attitude, compete level, etc.)

Pedigree: Booth < Burrows (i.e., past performance, big plays/goals, success)

Profile of Player JB seems to prefer: Booth > Burrows

Anyways, Booth is gone, so this is all a moot point. It just seemed like when Booth fully recovered from his ankle surgery he was the guy that I expected him to be when he first arrived in Vancouver...just thought he needed to get his timing in order.

I'm a David Booth fan, so I hope he'll land on his feet somewhere in the NHL soon...I'm sure he will. He is too talented for anyone not to take a flyer on him.

Archived