The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shocking....Booth remain unsigned

Fred65

Oh im not debating the existence of God ! This silliness of pretending that God has some kind of involvement in professional sports is absolutely absurd !

On that reasoning I guess God helped the Bruins win in 2011 because he doesn't like the Canucks.............. ABSURD ! LMAO ! LOL !

Its all fine and dandy to have your professed faith, but to publicly imply that your life is so great because God helps you score goals is beyond ludicrous !

I guess God hates poor people ?........ ludicrously absurd !

Given the choice between Booth and Burrows at equal cap hit, I would take Booth. Oh wait, that's what we sort of had (Booth: 1 year at $4.25M; Burrows 3 years at $4.5M) and obviously JB didn't share my opinion (and since JB knows infinitely more about hockey than me, I'll have to begrudgingly accept this move).

With that in mind, here is my rationale for my Booth over Burrows position:

Work ethic: Booth = Burrows - Booth (reputed to be work out freak, coming to camp in great shape) = Burrows (well documented how hard he worked to get to the NHL and stay in the NHL).

Contract: Booth > Burrows - Booth 1 year @ $4.25M > Burrows 3 years @ $4.5M

Size and physicality: Booth > Burrows

Speed: Booth > Burrows

Youth: Booth (29) > Burrows (33)

Intangibles: Booth < Burrows (desire, hate to lose attitude, compete level, etc.)

Pedigree: Booth < Burrows (i.e., past performance, big plays/goals, success)

Profile of Player JB seems to prefer: Booth > Burrows

Anyways, Booth is gone, so this is all a moot point. It just seemed like when Booth fully recovered from his ankle surgery he was the guy that I expected him to be when he first arrived in Vancouver...just thought he needed to get his timing in order.

I'm a David Booth fan, so I hope he'll land on his feet somewhere in the NHL soon...I'm sure he will. He is too talented for anyone not to take a flyer on him.

Burrows>Booth. There's no question.

Burrows would have been signed hour 1 in free agency.

Oh im not debating the existence of God ! This silliness of pretending that God has some kind of involvement in professional sports is absolutely absurd !

On that reasoning I guess God helped the Bruins win in 2011 because he doesn't like the Canucks.............. ABSURD ! LMAO ! LOL !

Its all fine and dandy to have your professed faith, but to publicly imply that your life is so great because God helps you score goals is beyond ludicrous !

I guess God hates poor people ?........ ludicrously absurd !

What does this have to do with Booth? Can you provide a quote where he says anything about what you're saying?

There's a misconception about Christians and sports. Yes, we glorify God after a goal and a performance. But in no way do we believe God helped us win over the other team. Naw. We believe, as the bible tells us, that everyone is given God-given abilities and skills. And with these skills, we are also supposed to give Him the glory. So when we score a goal, when we do anything in life, we thank Him and give Him the glory. It is our hard work that causes us to succeed, but we have all been blessed with natural talent, and life. It's our jobs to master what He's given. That's what we do. We praise what we believe to be our lord and saviour.

It's fine if you don't believe, but before you criticize anymore, there's a little clarification for you.

I would like to see what the exact question was. I played AAA my entire childhood, and junior in my later teens. I'm 22 now and all I can say is, hockey isn't the biggest thing at all.

My faith (same as his) is above all of it. Family is second. Hockey is third. Does it take away from my commitment to hockey? Not at all. I love the game, and I busted my tail to be ready for a game. I played net and the team would never question my commitment, although if asked, it wasn't at the top of my priorities. I'm sure every Christian NHL'er would have the same answer. God and family is above hockey.

And please, I'm not interested in debating the existence of God. I won't criticize non-believers and I would hope y'all have the respect not to criticize mine and Booth's views.

Youre correct, but its very easy to see the problem with Booth's statement.

Im sure God would have forgiven him if he didnt go out of his own way to imply God was more important then anything else or whatever the hell it was he was trying to say.

He was a weird dude, kind of happy hes moved on.

They'll make cute babies. Detroit or Nashville will come knockin'. Go to Nashville...for the win.

And - give this pretty-couple a reality-show....for the PR-points alone it'd be worth offering Booth a contract in NASH. Booth can still play...if he really wants to remain a NHL hockey player. He just seems so affably goofy...that I always felt he didnt have the highest compete-level to persevere, in the play-offs, should he make it there. Who knows? He managed to survive the Tortorella experiment.,...maybe the goal he has left is just getting into the play-offs and seeing what transpires, as far as elevating his game & intensity, at that point.

I would like to see what the exact question was. I played AAA my entire childhood, and junior in my later teens. I'm 22 now and all I can say is, hockey isn't the biggest thing at all.

My faith (same as his) is above all of it. Family is second. Hockey is third. Does it take away from my commitment to hockey? Not at all. I love the game, and I busted my tail to be ready for a game. I played net and the team would never question my commitment, although if asked, it wasn't at the top of my priorities. I'm sure every Christian NHL'er would have the same answer. God and family is above hockey.

And please, I'm not interested in debating the existence of God. I won't criticize non-believers and I would hope y'all have the respect not to criticize mine and Booth's views.

If I am flying down the wing or sitting in the crease I assure you.

I want to know that the guy I am setting up for a play is thinking hockey. not god or religion but taking that pass and hammering one home.

I am wanting to know my D man is going to take the body and box this guy out or block that shot instead of wondering how he can get in to mass on Sunday in a different town.

I begrudge NO man their personal faith. but hockey is a team sport that demands your full attention and the absolute belief from your team mates that you will be there for them.

The second your faith is put above your teams success you are not the team player I want on my line or guarding my crease.

This is not about religion this is about hockey and thus the two should never meet.

I don't think he cares right now....
f010c10580ce17cf126d2699ac48a7ee_bigger.David Booth @D_Booth7

Here's to no more groin injuries. Best photographer ever @devmanphoto best suit ever @ephapparel

BsTYBS4CEAE6fvE.jpg

For a devout Christian, who has abstained from any carnal engagements, looks like DB's got the moves down pat...

Dude is awesome...giving props to his photographer and haberdasher in his tweet. Looks like DB and his lovely bride tied the somewhere in the BC Interior or Montana/Idaho...somewhere the buffalo roam and deer and the antelopes graze.

If I am flying down the wing or sitting in the crease I assure you.

I want to know that the guy I am setting up for a play is thinking hockey. not god or religion but taking that pass and hammering one home.

I am wanting to know my D man is going to take the body and box this guy out or block that shot instead of wondering how he can get in to mass on Sunday in a different town.

I begrudge NO man their personal faith. but hockey is a team sport that demands your full attention and the absolute belief from your team mates that you will be there for them.

The second your faith is put above your teams success you are not the team player I want on my line or guarding my crease.

This is not about religion this is about hockey and thus the two should never meet.

You make zero sense. So because God is more important than hockey, it means he's going to think about it over the game, while he's playing the game? Just because it's the most important part of his, and my life, it doesn't mean we can't put it aside. When it's game time, we focus on the game.

Second, what you're implying is you want them to have hockey as the focal part of their lives. So let me ask you. What's more important for you? Your family or your job? When you say you're family, my next question is, does that mean your boss shouldn't trust you? Because after all, you may think about your family while you're working, and we CANT have that. That would be terrible.

One of the Province guys wrote something back beginning of year when Booth and Weise were sharing time in the press box. Forget who wrote it...suggested that both were...ummmm....less than happy about it, and more than comfrotable letting everyone know about their feelings. Few weeks later, Weise was gone for a bag of pucks. Think Booth woulda been too, had it been feasible.

Obviously, we don't know everything that goes on in the locker room. Seems like only now we're hearing all of the details about how difficult that Kesler had been in the room, and how untrusted he'd become.

My sense is that Booth was worse. My further sense is that the league recognizes it, and has likely heard far more than whispers about the guy's chraracter.

This is just MHO, of course. Wish I could find link to article. Can't.

I think Booth is more likely to be KHL than NHL next year.

Archived