The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion At It's Finest

Whale Tail

Luci answered the first part.. and for the second, I can't argue with your own personal experience - it's valid and explains your point of view. However, you'd have a lot more credibility (at least with myself) if you focused on the people / doctrines / interpretations that led to that pain.

Did the four noble truths of Buddhism contribute? Did the teachings of the Sikh Gurus? The pillars of Islam? the 10 commandments? Golden rules? "Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself?" That's all "religion." As a visibly non-Sikh in a Gurdwara I was fed and treated with respect (just as people would be in many Churches, Mosques, etc.) I think "religion" and the "religious" deserve a similar respect.

Anywho, these conversations quickly go in circles - I'm done - good luck to you and yours. I'm going to have a few more brews and hope the Lions can hold this lead against the Riders!

And i answered her back. By assuming i meant a physical/ violent act illustrates what you believe is an appropriate response to some one who disagrees with what you believe in.

You are completely wrong morals existed long before religion , i suggest you research the subject.

I am going skiing for the first time this season , taking off for the hill in a couple of hours ,gonna spend the day with the people i love ,in a place i love , doing what i love , i hope you have as much fun as i will.

Well then do not get pissed off, provide some evidence that backs up your beliefs.

Like my dad told me , do not get pissed off dave , get even.

That my friends is exactly what is wrong with the world.

Not religion. Not atheism.

Just man.

And i answered her back. By assuming i meant a physical/ violent act illustrates what you believe is an appropriate response to some one who disagrees with what you believe in.

You are completely wrong morals existed long before religion , i suggest you research the subject.

I am going skiing for the first time this season , taking off for the hill in a couple of hours ,gonna spend the day with the people i love ,in a place i love , doing what i love , i hope you have as much fun as i will.

This is one of your 'facts'? Source please.

I will never forget the conversation I had with his son Nick many years ago, downtown Victoria while Popoff was having services in the Empress Hotel. The money is their "bread and butter."

All this said... after many years of parish ministry. I have seen God heal and I have seen people suffer gracefully and despite their faith.

Created this thread because I couldn't believe a couple could be scamming people like this and that people would be willing to buy it. :picard: Should of known it would turn into a Religious debate...

I know right? Who would expect that to arise in a thread titled ""Religion At It's Finest"?

Why atheists think its ok to put down religion then cry and whine when religion puts down gays and such. Both sides have opinions and if its hate filled, they should keep it to themselves

The difference is that I don't hate the believer, I hate their parasitic beliefs that are telling them to hate other humans, like "gays and such" that you mentioned.

The difference is that I don't hate the believer, I hate their parasitic beliefs that are telling them to hate other humans, like "gays and such" that you mentioned.

Wouldn't that be the same as a religious person saying they don't hate the person, they just hate the different views another group has?

That argument has no logic.

Personally I wish more religious and Athiest people would take a look at John chapter 8 from the Bible. There is a great bit of advise in there that can apply to everyone regardless of what they believe in.

Welcome to CDC

With all the incessant religion bashing that goes on here, it makes Katt Williams sound funnier (which is bad -- as I'm an agnostic):

"Patton Oswalt is an avowed atheist. I guess if I had his career I wouldn't believe in God either. He did his first HBO special in 1995, and since then has done 35 TV and film projects. And after all that he still looks like a grown midget. I guess thats God's way of saying, "**** you, you fat atheist" -Katt Williams

Wouldn't that be the same as a religious person saying they don't hate the person, they just hate the different views another group has?

That argument has no logic.

Personally I wish more religious and Athiest people would take a look at John chapter 8 from the Bible. There is a great bit of advise in there that can apply to everyone regardless of what they believe in.

Nope. We are not born with religious beliefs. If you can't see the difference I'm not sure what else to say.

Nope. We are not born with religious beliefs. If you can't see the difference I'm not sure what else to say.

I think that if you believe that people are born with a certain orientation, then it would be equally fair to state that some people are born with a certain spiritual perception to believe in a higher being or power. Just as you could then say some people are born with a spiritual perception that there are no higher beings or powers.

After all it's just the way that some people are born, with a certain spiritual orientation. It would be discriminatory to say that some people just choose that characteristic.

So we can't have a Christianity thread due to trolls/militant atheists, but a thread that obviously gives ammo to those anti-religious is allowed to stay put?

Painting a broad spectrum on everything, you can't base a group off of a few samples. Are all Canuck fans rioters? Are all Bruin fans classless clowns? Are all Leaf fans delusional nutcases? Hardly. There's always extremes, and there's always bad examples, and there's always those that put on a facade to suit their purpose.

So what if someone believes something contrary to your beliefs, as long as they aren't shoving it down the worlds throat, and overall being a massive douche about it, let them be.

I've known religious people I really like and count them among my best friends, I've also known religious people I hate and think they are full of canine feces. I've also known atheists I really like and count them among my best friends as well as atheists who are just completely chiroptera guano crazy

There's a lot of things I really don't like about major religions, but there are some things I do like and at the same time as the population of non-believers grow, i'm find more and more things I really detest about non-believing.

In the end, I prefer to choose my friends based on their race, as it's a much better indicator of how good a person is, rather then their religion :P;)

edit: Thank Gods i got to put my 2 cents in before this thread gets shut down hehe

There are a great many vegetarian people that are kind and not obnoxious, but there's always that one that ruins the entire restaurant they are at with hissy fits. We get it, you don't eat meat. Now don't ruin everyone else's meals. Vocal atheists on the internet fit that bill far too open.

wait.... are you a vegetarian ?

Anyone that puts/forces something on someone else is doing harm. Doesn't really matter what it is, it's not humane at all levels. Let people approach themselves by approaching you/others for help but by no means do you think it's a priority to reach out and force x&y on whomever.

Goes for religion and atheists equally and everything else.

Archived