The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

Maybe I'm in the minority. But I'm willing to give JB 3-5 years and miss the playoffs all in that time if the end result is a Stanley Cup.

Too long we've taken shortcuts, bad trades, and lost our depth for short term gains, and eventually long term impact. I want us to have a team that not just makes one "all in" run. But is good enough to win EVERY year.

For the first time in years, we have legitimate NHL prospects. And better still we're taking our time developing them. Even now it's harder for good players to get ice time. Having to make hard choices because we have too much talent is a nice problem to have.

We're weak on D, but strong in centre prospects. And for the first time in years I have faith in our drafting and scouting.

I trust in Benning's and Linden's vision. I think coach WD is giving our team the best chances of success.

Edmonton on the other hand. I can't believe that I feel sorry for a team that gave Canucks fans such massive grief when they were winning cups. They need to clean house in the executive office. They need to find the best scout in the NHL, hire him as GM. Hire a lawyer to handle the cap, and contracts as an assistant. Fire their entire scouting staff. Then trade some of the underachieving players like Yakupov and get some solid defensive prospects. And use some of those draft picks to build the team that's able to compete in the Western Conference.

It's sad when Calgary gets worse draft position, gets better players in the 4th round, than Edmonton's first rounders. Building through the draft is Edmonton's only salvation, and it's key to better days.

We're on the right path, but we're still going to need some franchise players if we want to win. I hope Linden and Benning have a good plan. The easiest way to get these guys is through the draft. The real concern now is on defense.

We're on the right path, but we're still going to need some franchise players if we want to win. I hope Linden and Benning have a good plan. The easiest way to get these guys is through the draft. The real concern now is on defense.

Canucks are starting down the right path, its gonna take some time, but the current core can keep the team respectable for another season or 2. Yes, they do really need to start working on their plan for defense moving forward, but Im sure this offseason JB will draft from a positional need, unless the BPA is absolutely impossible to pass on, and Im sure he will make a trade or signing or two in the next two offseasons to address defensive concerns as well.

Every team is using Edmonton as a slump breaker.

All they have to do is look ahead on their schedule and see an Oilers game coming up and they say Oh Boy 2 points.

Edmontons biggest problem is they don't get to play against themselves to bust their slump! :shock:

Calgary's only got 1 game against Edmonton yet, we want the rest of our free points too

Its a good thread lol. Gaudreu 6 goals in last 3 games!! Giordano setting the pace for D scoring in the league followed by TJ Brodie not far behind, Monahan on pace for 30 goals in sophmore season, Granlund/Jooris exceding expectations during call ups/injuries, Sam Bennet skating in the next few weeks. Its an exciting time for our joke of a team in Calgary. As for Edmonton, well, I don't know how excited they are, I guess their pretty excited watching Eichel/McDavid and the WJC.

Its a good thread lol. Gaudreu 6 goals in last 3 games!! Giordano setting the pace for D scoring in the league followed by TJ Brodie not far behind, Monahan on pace for 30 goals in sophmore season, Granlund/Jooris exceding expectations during call ups/injuries, Sam Bennet skating in the next few weeks. Its an exciting time for our joke of a team in Calgary. As for Edmonton, well, I don't know how excited they are, I guess their pretty excited watching Eichel/McDavid and the WJC.

You left out Stajan..the real MVP

Maybe I'm in the minority. But I'm willing to give JB 3-5 years and miss the playoffs all in that time if the end result is a Stanley Cup.

Too long we've taken shortcuts, bad trades, and lost our depth for short term gains, and eventually long term impact. I want us to have a team that not just makes one "all in" run. But is good enough to win EVERY year.

For the first time in years, we have legitimate NHL prospects. And better still we're taking our time developing them. Even now it's harder for good players to get ice time. Having to make hard choices because we have too much talent is a nice problem to have.

We're weak on D, but strong in centre prospects. And for the first time in years I have faith in our drafting and scouting.

I trust in Benning's and Linden's vision. I think coach WD is giving our team the best chances of success.

Edmonton on the other hand. I can't believe that I feel sorry for a team that gave Canucks fans such massive grief when they were winning cups. They need to clean house in the executive office. They need to find the best scout in the NHL, hire him as GM. Hire a lawyer to handle the cap, and contracts as an assistant. Fire their entire scouting staff. Then trade some of the underachieving players like Yakupov and get some solid defensive prospects. And use some of those draft picks to build the team that's able to compete in the Western Conference.

It's sad when Calgary gets worse draft position, gets better players in the 4th round, than Edmonton's first rounders. Building through the draft is Edmonton's only salvation, and it's key to better days.

Great post.

Fans have to realize good solid teams take time to build. Vancouver has some strong building blocks coupled with strong proffessional leadership with a solid strategy toward achieving their ultimate goal. I think Vancouver fans get that and have faith in Benning and Linden and ownership. Ownership is strong in Vancouver, they're learning along the way too.

That said,

Edmonton does not portray any of the traits needed for an organization to win. Your point about Calgary and Edmonton's drafting. What about Edmonton's lower draft picks? Where the heck are they?

The Edmonton Calgary game the other night was a clear picture of cohesiveness playing directionless.

There is no one like Brian Burke or Jim Benning in the Edmonton organization to lend any stability for fans to believe in.

Again it's a joke.

Just saw on Twitter that Draisaitl was returned to the WHL. I've been away with no internet access for a week. Is this new information or old news? Boggling that Oilers choose to do this, while not allowing Draisaitl to go to the WJHC.

Wait seriously?

Mother of god they're pulling a Pittsburgh to get MAcDavid....

Wait seriously?

Mother of god they're pulling a Pittsburgh to get MAcDavid....

The German World Jr team is seriously pissed at them too for not releasing him to play in this tourney. In the time since the pre-tournament games began, Draisaitl played in only one game for the Oil, was a -2, is being sent back to St. Albert who are rumoured to be trading him to the Kelowna Rockets, and all while the Oil burnt the first year on his entry level deal.

This ladies and gents are why the Oilers have become a laughingstock.

The German World Jr team is seriously pissed at them too for not releasing him to play in this tourney. In the time since the pre-tournament games began, Draisaitl played in only one game for the Oil, was a -2, is being sent back to St. Albert who are rumoured to be trading him to the Kelowna Rockets, and all while the Oil burnt the first year on his entry level deal.

This ladies and gents are why the Oilers have become a laughingstock.

And to top it off they just named Todd Nelson their new head coach. What an absolute mess they are.

Archived