The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

You could say we took a couple of steps back in terms of the players we have but its better we take steps back right now then fall on our a**es years from now. So, this is seen as a positive by most people. I think that's why people are optimistic.

I understand, but the question was: Are we better? I'd say it's a very tough call. Down the road? I'd say yes and agree that the optimism is warranted.

However, coming into this next season, I'd say that it's a stretch to claim that the team is better than it was last season.

I understand, but the question was: Are we better? I'd say it's a very tough call. Down the road? I'd say yes and agree that the optimism is warranted.

However, coming into this next season, I'd say that it's a stretch to claim that the team is better than it was last season.

People are just excited. And very giddy.

Better? I say we are probably not worse or better. Cause i don't think we can get worse than the second half of last year.

People are just excited. And very giddy.

Better? I say we are probably not worse or better. Cause i don't think we can get worse than the second half of last year.

An astute observation. The last half of the season was as bad as I can remember. Even the earlier teams in Vancouver that lost didn't seem as flat and useless as the Canucks did in the last part of the season.

Looking forward should be positive and exciting. Vancouver carried themselves differently at the draft than in the past years. Just the feeling from the people in charge was refreshing. There's a plan.

I think Calgary has made some positive changes but Edmonton did overwhelm with the notion of they have a solid plan. Getting the best player available might the the right move at the moment but it doesn't really reflect a clear plan or mission statement.

Calgary will emerge as a playoff team/contender in a few seasons, and should be a very exciting competitive team this year. I'm excited to see who makes the roster this season. Lots of exciting prospects in the system . Of course I'm stoked for Sam Bennett, but am also very excited about Emile Poirer taken with last years first round pick we got from the Bouwmeester deal. Poirer can score, hit, fight and is plenty fast. Keegan Kanzig, taken in The third round last year is an exciting d prospect, huge kid 6''7 and 235 at 19 years old. Hes not a big points guy but he is very good shut down guy for the blue line. Max Reinhart should make for a serviceable 3/C soon. Backlund is becoming a very good two way forward. Giordano is a very skilled blue liner who is also a good mentor for the youth. Don't be surprised to see Calgary be a tough team to play against this year. Although I don't see us making the playoffs this season I do see a very competitive team building experience and likely too break out in 2-3 seasons.

I have said for the last two seasons that the Oilers would break out, so this year I'll take a more cautiously optimistic view. I do, however think Draisiti was a great pick, and suits there needs well.along with that Nurse should be close to making the team. They have all the right pieces minus a true 1 goalie. But if management and coaching can organize the pieces just right, they could finally play to the level people have been expecting them too for the last two years.

Alberta hockey is not a joke, and I would venture to say the two teams are further ahead then the Canucks. The Canucks are a fence team, and things could go either way this season. Acquiring Miller was good in terms of helping to develop the younger goalies. It depends whether or not the team can score this season. If the older core bounces back and are able to produce decent numbers they have a shot at the playoffs, likely 6-8 seed. If not they will again finish 9-12 in the conference. I like shinkaruk and Virtanen, and think they will be valuable members of the core I. 2-4 years. But the Canucks really need a few more good drafts, and some trades/big signings before they are back to a top 10 team in the league.

Calgary and Edmonton are Islanders and Sabres of the west, a huge joke. I like what the Canucks are doing, being competitive and re-building at the same time, getting our young players experience in the playoffs would be awesome, with no pressure to win a cup. Boston did the exact same thing.

There’s far too many Canucks fans and not enough hockey fans. You can’t have an honest conversation with people like that because they people only see what they want. They make up things about the other teams and just because it sounds good other people start to believe it (aka, why EDM drafted leon).

Calgary Fans have a lot to look forward too. I’ve talked to many Flames fans and this is one of their most excited years they had in a long time. They don’t expect Bennett to be on the roster but they are happy are starting to develop so good prospects. Poirier and Gaudreau, are players that fans want to see more of. They are also excited to see what other prospect may excel this year.

EDM’s finally has removed some of the pressure. Every year they’ve been pegged to be immediate cup contender and failed miserably. I think this year they’ve taken a step back (pressure wise), to not just make playoff but to simply become a better team than they were last year. They are starting to understand that rebuilding it a long process and it involves building a complete team, not just an all star team. Leon will likely make the team next year but he may take some adjusting to the faster paced game. Yak needs to start becoming more of a complete team player and less of an individual, They’ve added some depth to their roster, expensive depth but it’s something they haven’t had in a long time. I don’t expect them to make playoffs but I do expect them to be competitive and finish just outside.

I suggest a lot of the only Canucks fans start to become true hockey fans, You’ll get a greater appreciation for the sport and start to understand the situations that teams are in. It doesn’t mean you have to be fans of other teams, just means you need to take the canucks only blinders.

There’s far too many Canucks fans and not enough hockey fans. You can’t have an honest conversation with people like that because they people only see what they want. They make up things about the other teams and just because it sounds good other people start to believe it (aka, why EDM drafted leon).

Calgary Fans have a lot to look forward too. I’ve talked to many Flames fans and this is one of their most excited years they had in a long time. They don’t expect Bennett to be on the roster but they are happy are starting to develop so good prospects. Poirier and Gaudreau, are players that fans want to see more of. They are also excited to see what other prospect may excel this year.

EDM’s finally has removed some of the pressure. Every year they’ve been pegged to be immediate cup contender and failed miserably. I think this year they’ve taken a step back (pressure wise), to not just make playoff but to simply become a better team than they were last year. They are starting to understand that rebuilding it a long process and it involves building a complete team, not just an all star team. Leon will likely make the team next year but he may take some adjusting to the faster paced game. Yak needs to start becoming more of a complete team player and less of an individual, They’ve added some depth to their roster, expensive depth but it’s something they haven’t had in a long time. I don’t expect them to make playoffs but I do expect them to be competitive and finish just outside.

I suggest a lot of the only Canucks fans start to become true hockey fans, You’ll get a greater appreciation for the sport and start to understand the situations that teams are in. It doesn’t mean you have to be fans of other teams, just means you need to take the canucks only blinders.

Thank you for that.

It holds a lot of truth

Calgary 2008-09,2009-10 seasons were a lot of fun to go to, they had a lot of offensive firepower in those seasons then suddenly the sh*t hit the fan after that...

But this year they're starting to look good again.

Maybe Flames and Oilers fans should do the same and realize Vancouver has made the right moves as well

They see there is light at the end of the tunnel here, esp. with our management/coaching hires. Their management/coaching may be their achilles heel going forward. BUT our current core is spent and we're behind them on the rebuild front. So there will be a time when they perform better than us. Prob. starting this season.

I am a Flames fan, and I can certainly say that Vancouver has some exciting prospects in the pool. I also praise management for getting rid of Kesler, this will help the teams overall image around the league. His diving, whining, and ref barking were pretty bad.

I think Shinkaruk will be a pull consistent 30/65-75 point seasons in a few years, may even throw in a 40 goal season or two. I think Horvat will be a strong two way 2C who will be good for consistant 50-60 point seasons, as well as provide grit and strong back checking. I think Virtanen will grow into a good role player in a few years. I don't say the Canucks are way behind Cal and EDM in terms of rebuilding, but I do think they are at least 2 years back of the Flames and Oil.

I think with next years strong draft, the Canucks can fill some positional needs, and the 16 draft they can round out the pool with a few more role players, and by 17, the prospects they have drafted the last few years will be seasoned enough to start to carry the load, and the vets will fill in with lower minutes and the team will be very competitive again.

I am a Flames fan, and I can certainly say that Vancouver has some exciting prospects in the pool. I also praise management for getting rid of Kesler, this will help the teams overall image around the league. His diving, whining, and ref barking were pretty bad.

I think Shinkaruk will be a pull consistent 30/65-75 point seasons in a few years, may even throw in a 40 goal season or two. I think Horvat will be a strong two way 2C who will be good for consistant 50-60 point seasons, as well as provide grit and strong back checking. I think Virtanen will grow into a good role player in a few years. I don't say the Canucks are way behind Cal and EDM in terms of rebuilding, but I do think they are at least 2 years back of the Flames and Oil.

I think with next years strong draft, the Canucks can fill some positional needs, and the 16 draft they can round out the pool with a few more role players, and by 17, the prospects they have drafted the last few years will be seasoned enough to start to carry the load, and the vets will fill in with lower minutes and the team will be very competitive again.

pretty kind words coming from a division rival fan. That being said I too am excited for many flames prospects. Mainly sven baertschi and Sean Monahan but other prospects as well such as cundari and seiloff. Also unlike many others I haven't given up on backlund.

Such a hard working team last year. You can tell they are headed in the right direction even more so than Edmonton and much sooner too.

My cousins are hardcore Oiler fans, and when I mentioned the name Yakupov you should have seen their expression. Sure the kid is still young, but there's a lot of work needed there and reportedly there isn't much trade value either so they're going to have to get at it.

Edmonton is nearly a million people. Good thing your cousins seem to speak for all of them and seemingly have an inside track on Yak's value.

I agree with hippy 100 %. And believe me that doesn't happen often. Ironically enough, the 2 teams he initially suggested as far as a trade, Pittsburgh and Washington, I also see both those teams very interested in Yakupov if he were made available. I think though Edmonton would like to see him play with Draisaitl first. LD is the most Nhl ready forward in the draft.

The thread itself is ridiculous, certain fans of the 6th worst team in the league bragging? Wtf?

Edmonton, again I agree with hippy that we shall wait and see as for Calgary they're building a young hard working competitive team. I think the Flames will surprise a lot of people.

They see there is light at the end of the tunnel here, esp. with our management/coaching hires. Their management/coaching may be their achilles heel going forward. BUT our current core is spent and we're behind them on the rebuild front. So there will be a time when they perform better than us. Prob. starting this season.

I disagree

Imo Calgary's GM is a very, very smart hockey guy. Check his resume out.

Plus he is from the same city as me :)

Edmonton is nearly a million people. Good thing your cousins seem to speak for all of them and seemingly have an inside track on Yak's value.

I agree with hippy 100 %. And believe me that doesn't happen often. Ironically enough, the 2 teams he initially suggested as far as a trade, Pittsburgh and Washington, I also see both those teams very interested in Yakupov if he were made available. I think though Edmonton would like to see him play with Draisaitl first. LD is the most Nhl ready forward in the draft.

The thread itself is ridiculous, certain fans of the 6th worst team in the league bragging? Wtf?

Edmonton, again I agree with hippy that we shall wait and see as for Calgary they're building a young hard working competitive team. I think the Flames will surprise a lot of people.

Hard to believe we see eye to eye on something. The only other team I see Yakupov working on are Tampa or Boston. Tampa because there's a few russian players and Yzerman will mentor him or suggest someone who can (cough Fedorov cough) and Boston because he would be able to be all out offense under such a bruising team. Lucic Bergeron Yakupov would be kind of scary

I understand that every fan of every team int he league has a modicum of rights to brag and talk smack. Great.

But the season hasn't started yet and honestly, can we really say we got better when we look at our subtractions vs additions? Can we say we are better than Edm or Cal based one what we did years ago?

We finished 6th last in the league and almost dead last in goals for. Calgary only needed to win a few of those one goal games and they'd have a thread about the joke that has become the Canucks. Edmonton only needed to win 5 or so games and they could have had that thread as well.

We have NO right stating we are better than anyone as of right now. Come January we can say yes or no but as of right now. Nope.

I believe Edmonton will indeed do better than recently and push in for the top 10 in the west. I believe Calgary (provided Gaudreau isn't buried immediately in this division) will do very well as well. I think we by comparison are the true wild card.

If we look at the teams out west that were out of the playoffs. Barring Phoenix they all got better in the areas they were weakest. Calgary scoring/goaltending. Edmonton defense goaltending. Winnipeg, dead weight. Nashville scoring.

We added some solid pieces. But we are far from being able to in any way shape or form lord anything over any other team in the west right now based on what has happened over the last few years until we have seen half this upcoming season played out.

I agree that Calgary is ahead of us in terms of propect pools right now but people need to rememeber a few things. Burke being impatient could maybe hurt them at some point like maybe he tries to make the team compete to early. Gardeau and Baertschi both have as well as high ceilings they have high bust potential. And the Canucks are far ahead of what Calgary was during and right after 2010 since they have had 4 first round picks the last 2 drafts including 2 top 10 picks. The Canucks traded Kesler a lot faster then the Flames traded Iginla. So like I said the Flames are ahead of us right now but I don't think a rebuild for us will be as long and painful as it has been for the Flames. As for Edmonton I'm not sure what to think they have huge potential but things just don't seem to be working there lol

Hard to believe we see eye to eye on something. The only other team I see Yakupov working on are Tampa or Boston. Tampa because there's a few russian players and Yzerman will mentor him or suggest someone who can (cough Fedorov cough) and Boston because he would be able to be all out offense under such a bruising team. Lucic Bergeron Yakupov would be kind of scary

I understand that every fan of every team int he league has a modicum of rights to brag and talk smack. Great.

But the season hasn't started yet and honestly, can we really say we got better when we look at our subtractions vs additions? Can we say we are better than Edm or Cal based one what we did years ago?

We finished 6th last in the league and almost dead last in goals for. Calgary only needed to win a few of those one goal games and they'd have a thread about the joke that has become the Canucks. Edmonton only needed to win 5 or so games and they could have had that thread as well.

We have NO right stating we are better than anyone as of right now. Come January we can say yes or no but as of right now. Nope.

I believe Edmonton will indeed do better than recently and push in for the top 10 in the west. I believe Calgary (provided Gaudreau isn't buried immediately in this division) will do very well as well. I think we by comparison are the true wild card.

If we look at the teams out west that were out of the playoffs. Barring Phoenix they all got better in the areas they were weakest. Calgary scoring/goaltending. Edmonton defense goaltending. Winnipeg, dead weight. Nashville scoring.

We added some solid pieces

Archived