The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

Draisaitl has the best chance.

Edmonton has a history of rushing their picks and they lack a 2C.

Bennett would have to absolutely dominate in training camp for Calgary not to send him back to the CHL for one more year.

Calgary lacks a 1C, but Bennett isn't one yet.

Its possible Bennet makes Calgarys rosters, there are spots that need to be filled. He has looked good in orientation camp, mind you Guedrue(sp?), Granlund, Poirer also look really good. Klimchuk Id say needs another year or 2 of development.

This general conspiracy theory of tanking keeps coming up. I don't buy it. Toronto's lateral moves or even reverse moves done mean they're tanking. Shanahan is changing things for sure. But to tank for one player doesn't make sense because you need a supporting cast, something Toronto lacks.

This team has had their chances to gain young players through finishing poorly gaining high draft picks. They have failed miserably over and over with different GM's in place.

There will be no culture change until Nonis and Carlyle are gone, those 2 or not reprogrammable. Nor does a club president keep people around to fire them if things go poorly in the beginning of their tenure, (Shanahan). That's called planning for failure.

Every time I see Nonis the guy looks beat. My point being with all this change in Toronto there's still that beat culture that Shanahan will sooner or later realize he needs to purge. The feeling of cultural change comes from the top down to the bottom. That hasn't happened in Toronto.

The change in Vancouver is evident, the feel of freshness due to change from top to bottom.

Agreed the Flames were an underdog in there last cup run, but If you look at the way that team was built it was similar to LA of the current day, not nearly as star studded, but built big, tough, played a very strong shut down game and relied on strong team defense, and a few key guys to grab key goals, Iggy, Conroy and Gelinas. That team was built well by Sutter for a playoff team, especially since 04 was still the clutch and grab style league.

Not to mention they got robbed. They won the Cup in game 6...but it wasn't the result the NHL went with.

I don't see Vancouver following Calgary's path though. Vancouver already has a much better prospect pool than Calgary did when they were still trying to win a few years ago. Vancouver still has a solid team that can compete for a playoff spot... or move veterans for even more prospects. We still have options.

Hopefully Vancouver remains patient with their prospects, especially the smaller ones, as to ensure their potential.

Guest Dasein

Calgary has a great chance at a lottery pick and a franchise player.

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Eichel/McDavid and Monahan.

Nightmare for years to come for the Pacific and the NHL.

Or they could get the franchise defenseman in Hanifin...

Either way, Calgary looks good.

Edmonton is Edmonton. RNH needs to be able to take the next step for them to get anywhere, or Draisaitl.

Calgary has a great chance at a lottery pick and a franchise player.

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Eichel/McDavid and Monahan.

Nightmare for years to come for the Pacific and the NHL.

Or they could get the franchise defenseman in Hanifin...

Either way, Calgary looks good.

Edmonton is Edmonton. RNH needs to be able to take the next step for them to get anywhere, or Draisaitl.

Calgary already has a franchise D-Man in Giordano, They'll probably grab another center and move Bennett to wing.

Agreed the Flames were an underdog in there last cup run, but If you look at the way that team was built it was similar to LA of the current day, not nearly as star studded, but built big, tough, played a very strong shut down game and relied on strong team defense, and a few key guys to grab key goals, Iggy, Conroy and Gelinas. That team was built well by Sutter for a playoff team, especially since 04 was still the clutch and grab style league.

I see the Flames sort of modeling themselves after Boston And LA these days as well, there drafting 1st round picks who should be able to put up good numbers, and filling the bottom six with big rough guys who will clog up the neutral zone and frustrate opposition offense, and Iif you look at there D men current as well as prospects, they have chosen more stay at home big shut down guys whomplay with a mean edge. I liked the look of Ramo in net last year, and I think he did very well being thrown in a starting goal position hismfirst year in the league, I think with Hiller in for amfew years Ramo can work on his development with less pressure on him. The prospects are indeed an exciting bunch, Guedreu, Bennett, Reinhart, Poirer, Wotherspoon, Kanzig, Klimchuk, at least 2 of these guys will crack the roster this season if not more, and I think each of them will be in the league and performing solid in a few seasons. Lots a excitement here in Calgary.

I do think the Oilers will be headed up too. Draisti was the perfect pick for them, Nurse looks ready to come into the lineup this year, and there signigns and trade added depth tom the line up. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Oil in the mix for a wildcard spot, if they stay healthy.

On a side note anyone going to Penticton to see the Nucks, Oil, and Flames prospect tourney this year? I'll sit next to you in my Flames jersey and let you throw beer on me just like back when I lived in richmond and went to a game Flames Nucks game and had that happen to my Iggy jersey two days after i got it for my bday lol. It was the game where Iggy fought Mitchell after the opening face-off, anyone remember that one?

True style wise the 2004 Flames were similler to the Kings but overall I'd say they were closer to Nashville then LA.

They have a good prospect pool but the biggest difference I see personaly between the Flames prospects right now and the Kings and Bruins is size and physicality in the top 6 the Bruins in 2011 had Lucic and Horton in their top 6 the Kings in 2012 and 2014 had Kopitar Carter and Brown in there top 6 I think they need some bigger prospects who can play top 6 before they can for sure be compared to the Kings and Bruins not many just a couple lol.

True style wise the 2004 Flames were similler to the Kings but overall I'd say they were closer to Nashville then LA.

They have a good prospect pool but the biggest difference I see personaly between the Flames prospects right now and the Kings and Bruins is size and physicality in the top 6 the Bruins in 2011 had Lucic and Horton in their top 6 the Kings in 2012 and 2014 had Kopitar Carter and Brown in there top 6 I think they need some bigger prospects who can play top 6 before they can for sure be compared to the Kings and Bruins not many just a couple lol.

Your right Calgary doesn't have as much size apron the top 6 as they do on the bottom 6. Im not saying they should model their future team under the bruins/kings model. Nut I think a good mix of size and skill on the front end, with a bunch shutdown guys on the blue line would be fantastic.

Not to mention they got robbed. They won the Cup in game 6...but it wasn't the result the NHL went with.

I don't see Vancouver following Calgary's path though. Vancouver already has a much better prospect pool than Calgary did when they were still trying to win a few years ago. Vancouver still has a solid team that can compete for a playoff spot... or move veterans for even more prospects. We still have options.

Hopefully Vancouver remains patient with their prospects, especially the smaller ones, as to ensure their potential.

Nice to hear a Nucks fan day they got robbed in ga e 6 of the cup too, haha. Yeah Im pretty sure that was past the line. But anyhow bygons are bygones. Your right Nucks still have a lot of solid vets, albeit they are past there prime they are still first line/first pairing dmen(the vets I think your talking about anyways). They have options this season and next, try to re organize and get chemistry, hope for some quick youth development and no doubt there competing for a playoff spot. I also agree they have some solid prospects in the pool. I don't think there pool is as deep as Calgarys but it's a damn good start

I too am surprised and gratified that people other than Flames fans acknowledge that they got robbed in 2004.

That is respectful and shows that Canucks fans aren't all the idiots that TSN makes them out to be.

If the Canucks don't hang on to their older stars too long like Calgary did (see Iggy), they can shorten the time necessary to reload.

Hold on to them, and you could well be in Calgary's situation with a long rebuild ahead of you.

Players spending their entire career with one team has always been rare, and is often a recipe for disaster for the team.

I realize that the Sedins will most likely retire as Canucks or go back to Sweden, and that sucks for the organization.

Burrows and Edler should be moved by the trade deadline for the good of the team.

Just my 2 cents.

I still think Edmonton needs a new arena, to turn things around. Yes it might sound stupid, but they need a better facility and if they did that I think it would help their young players, and help build confidence in their team. They need to be on par with the rest of the NHL, and if they can't even do that with their home rink, how can they do it at all.

I still think Edmonton needs a new arena, to turn things around. Yes it might sound stupid, but they need a better facility and if they did that I think it would help their young players, and help build confidence in their team. They need to be on par with the rest of the NHL, and if they can't even do that with their home rink, how can they do it at all.

Might encourage other players to play there as well

The canucks advanced facilities has most likely held onto a few players

I thought a new arena was already in the works. Did something stop the project?

The project got the green light February 11, 2014.

The Edmonton Oilers announced Tuesday that the city's downtown arena project has been given the green light to begin construction in March and is expected to be completed by the fall of 2016.

The city of Edmonton and Katz Group met the $480 million Guaranteed Maximum Price for the project, the centerpiece of which will be Rogers Place, an 18,641-seat arena that will become the home of the Oilers.

"This is an exciting day for Edmonton as we move ahead with a project that will help realize our vision of a more vibrant downtown and ensures that the Edmonton Oilers remain a vital part of our city for years to come," Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson said. "The look of Rogers Place is bold and forward-looking, just like Edmonton. As part of our downtown vision, it will serve as a symbol of our city's great future."

The Oilers have played in what is known as Rexall Place going back to their days in the World Hockey Association.

"For the Katz Group and the Edmonton Oilers, we have always believed Edmonton's need for a new arena was a huge opportunity to help transform our downtown into the vibrant, diverse and dynamic community that is the hallmark of every great city," said Daryl Katz, owner of theEdmonton Oilers. "We couldn't be more excited to see that vision becoming a reality and I want to thank Mayor Iveson, City Council, former Mayor Stephen Mandel, and the entire team at the City and everyone else who has labored over this project for years for their tenacity and faith in this project."

Archived