The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The joke that's become the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers

aqua59

I won't call other teams a joke because just when we do, BAM, they can turn things around. I honestly hope they pick it up a bit to make things more interesting. And yes, any team can flounder...we've fallen through the ranks ourselves so I'm not sure we're in a position to be insulting other teams.

Well, except Boston. I call them names but we won't go there.

I honestly am holding my breath thinking Edmonton will gain some experience and settle in and start producing. Might have to watch out then....

Not nitpicking, just a stupid comment.

What's your point?

Cdc gets angry when Alberta teams ask about the Canucks and the lack of cups yet you post this when it has nothing to do with his post.

No, it's not.

He's responding to the assertion that Giordano was around in 04 for the Cup run when he was not. Giordano was still in junior and unsigned at that time. That is true and is a small correction.

Mustapha is politely pointing that out. There's no reason for you to get bent out of shape because he corrected another user.

No, it's not.

He's responding to the assertion that Giordano was around in 04 for the Cup run when he was not. Giordano was still in junior and unsigned at that time. That is true and is a small correction.

Mustapha is politely pointing that out. There's no reason for you to get bent out of shape because he corrected another user.

Well my bad and for that I apologize. However in his quoted post that's highlighted I see no mention of that.

Edit, I see it's not in the highlighted section.

No, it's not.

Yes sorry I appologize, I was thinking of Andrew Ferrence for some reason I mixed him up with Gio. Ference is a good captain/mentor for Edmonton though...

Well my bad and for that I apologize. However in his quoted post I see no mention of that especially in what's highlighted.

Edit, I see it's not in the highlighted section.

Well....it's there.

Edit: I think it's pretty obvious that the highlighting was from CALGARY! and not Mustapha.

Yes sorry I appologize, I was thinking of Andrew Ferrence for some reason I mixed him up with Gio. Ference is a good captain/mentor for Edmonton though...

I think Giordano is highly underrated around the league and hopefully he can put together a full healthy season.

Well....,it's there.

Ya I see it now. Wrong area bolded but w/e my bad. I just thought it was yet another unneeded jab.

I think Giordano is highly underrated around the league and hopefully he can put together a full healthy season.

Very underrated for sure. Gotta love the West. :)

I am hoping a day will come in the next 5 years where we will be talking about how the Western Canadian teams are dominant in the league and the embarrassment that the California teams are to the rest of the west. Just seems more appropriate in the hockey world.

I am hoping a day will come in the next 5 years where we will be talking about how the Western Canadian teams are dominant in the league and the embarrassment that the California teams are to the rest of the west. Just seems more appropriate in the hockey world.

Yep thats what Im hoping for too. Epic playoff battles Between Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton and Winnipeg. Imagine Bettman if the second round was Calgary vs Edmonton and Vancouver vs Winnipeg. And then one of those teams VS Montreal in the final LOL he would be pissed handing out that cup to the winning captain

Man this thread is hilarious. We've quickly become a joke too. The joke started when the idiots known as the Aquilini family thought they were more intelligent in hockey decisions than the management they hired and forced Gillis to hire John Tortorella. It became and even bigger joke when this man tried to attack another coach in his dressing room. It became and EVEN BIGGER JOKE when he refused to start the greatest goalie in franchise history in an outdoor game (and I don't even like Luongo that much). Then the joke became worse when we retained 800k for the next decade in the trade of aforementioned goaltender. It grew substantially when the Aquilini's decided to fire the best gm in franchise history, before the coach they forced upon this gm (lol). Grew some more when the guy they hired decided it was a good decision to target a 3rd line center as the main piece in the trade of our team MVP.Then they refused to rebuild and thought it would be a great idea to sign a garbage goalie thats 35 years old to a 6 million dollar contract for 3 years, adding another NTC to the pile. Now we look forward to a season where we will come in 9th place with a crappy pick and no playoffs. Damn, I can't wait!

I won't call other teams a joke because just when we do, BAM, they can turn things around. I honestly hope they pick it up a bit to make things more interesting. And yes, any team can flounder...we've fallen through the ranks ourselves so I'm not sure we're in a position to be insulting other teams.

Well, except Boston. I call them names but we won't go there.

I honestly am holding my breath thinking Edmonton will gain some experience and settle in and start producing. Might have to watch out then....

Long time floundering is a joke in this league.

Teams need to swing up and down, it is the nature of the sport. At the bottom of the curve you pick up your core players through the draft and as they improve you build the team around them and hope they win a cup or two on the way. As they age and the team starts to breakdown you move off the vets and drop back to the bottom. There is only one Detroit and only one Islanders who can spend decades at the top or bottom of the curve.

The trick is keeping the drops short and the highs long. The teams that try to reduce the amplitude of the downward swings are the ones who get in trouble. TO has been doing it for decades. Calgary tried to do it for a long time but have now corrected the path. We may be starting that trend but I think Benning wants to see the team he has built on the ice. If he doesn't like where it is going I think he won't be afraid to tear it up further.

Bad management sometimes can't figure out how to get the swing to start back up again i.e. Edmonton. It is great to believe in your core but at some point when you have a lot of redundant players you need to pick the ones you like and move the others while they have value. Yak needs to be moved now for what you need which is a number 1, 2 or 3 D-man who can play now or a real goaltender (I still don't believe in those guys), if they hold on to him too long they may just end up with a 6th round pic (Gagner). This is what LA did they moved some very high picks for Carter/Richard after deciding it was Doughty and Kopitar they wanted to build around. Chicago same story, they know who their core is and moved out seemingly important players like Buf, Campbell, Bolland and Versteeg to keep it intact. Boston made the same decision although much more questionably with Seguin.

Vancouver over the last couple decades has been a great example of this. We had the Linden and Bure era which was great for a couple years and got to the finals. Messier was brought in to destroy the team and we started again into the WCE era, although entertaining it was a deeply flawed team that wasn't close to good enough in an era of dominant teams. This went downhill and we built around the core of the Sedins, Kessler and Luongo. Again good and really should have been good enough to win but just hit the wrong team in the finals and made some big mistakes. Now we have swung down again, and probably could use one more year near the bottom.

Teams need to swing up and down, it is the nature of the sport. At the bottom of the curve you pick up your core players through the draft and as they improve you build the team around them and hope they win a cup or two on the way. As they age and the team starts to breakdown you move off the vets and drop back to the bottom. There is only one Detroit and only one Islanders who can spend decades at the top or bottom of the curve.

The trick is keeping the drops short and the highs long. The teams that try to reduce the amplitude of the downward swings are the ones who get in trouble. TO has been doing it for decades. Calgary tried to do it for a long time but have now corrected the path. We may be starting that trend but I think Benning wants to see the team he has built on the ice. If he doesn't like where it is going I think he won't be afraid to tear it up further.

Bad management sometimes can't figure out how to get the swing to start back up again i.e. Edmonton. It is great to believe in your core but at some point when you have a lot of redundant players you need to pick the ones you like and move the others while they have value. Yak needs to be moved now for what you need which is a number 1, 2 or 3 D-man who can play now or a real goaltender (I still don't believe in those guys), if they hold on to him too long they may just end up with a 6th round pic (Gagner). This is what LA did they moved some very high picks for Carter/Richard after deciding it was Doughty and Kopitar they wanted to build around. Chicago same story, they know who their core is and moved out seemingly important players like Buf, Campbell, Bolland and Versteeg to keep it intact. Boston made the same decision although much more questionably with Seguin.

Vancouver over the last couple decades has been a great example of this. We had the Linden and Bure era which was great for a couple years and got to the finals. Messier was brought in to destroy the team and we started again into the WCE era, although entertaining it was a deeply flawed team that wasn't close to good enough in an era of dominant teams. This went downhill and we built around the core of the Sedins, Kessler and Luongo. Again good and really should have been good enough to win but just hit the wrong team in the finals and made some big mistakes. Now we have swung down again, and probably could use one more year near the bottom.

Always works on paper.

Edm will get it together soon, but probably not this year. They brought in some vet players(UFA) and have a decent bottom 6.

They have some fantastic D prospects on the way and the top 6 look really good.

Calgary is progressing well and have established a pretty good prospect pool. They are always a bubble team, but I still think they are a couple of years away from playoff games.

Neither team is a joke. I'm certainly not laughing.

Calgary was a joke when they fruitlessly tried to find the right "line-mates for Iggy" for so many years.

Every year, just in or just out of the play-offs, that was 8 years of insanity.

This coming season, I predict that.Calgary will again finish in the bottom 5.

They won't rush their prospects, as the fans really enjoyed the team's work ethic last year despite the lack of wins.

In 2015/2016, they will start to climb the standings, and could well be a contender (making it past the first round of the play-offs) in 3 - 4 years.

Archived