The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Nashville signs Derek Roy

7thMan

For a bubble team in the West trying to switch over to a more consistent offensive style I don't see any downside to either of these signings. I mean, 1 year at about 1 mil? If these guys happen to flame out is it that big a deal? I mean, they are getting paid less than 4th liners do on many teams.

Ribiero still has the offensive skill and can help their PP. 5 on 5 though he needs to be protected a fair bit from his own terrible defensive play. Roy is serviceable but his lack of size really leaves him at the mercy of the West unless he is used properly. Still, a 30 point season would be a huge win at 1 mil.

These are the kind of low risk/high potential reward signings that can get a team into the playoff picture if they work out.

How quickly can a player's value drop? Gillis pays 2 2nd Rounders for Roy and many here wanted him signed at a multi year deal with + $4mil cost. Didn't do much here so thankfully Gillis did not resign him. St. Louis passed so Nashville gets him for $1 mil. The price tag might be OK but what will you get

for a lighter guy and where does he play? Ribiero is similar but with more upside skill wise.

People still lament the loss of Connauton?!? That'll change in the next two seasons.

He's going to get jumped by several of their D prospects in a hurry....Oleksiak, Nemeth, Bystrom, Honka, Klingberg, Sinitsyn. There won't be enough jobs or minutes on the PP for him to contribute in any way.

Once it is decided he'll never be good enough in his own end he'll be a lifetime AHL player.

A bit of an off year last season, but in the lockout year 30 points in 44 games...solid second line numbers. 44 the year before, and a ppg the season before that. Solid second line production, for 1 million he is a steal. I would have expected him to sign for around 3.

Are you kidding me?

This isn't a one year thing.

They've never landed the big fish, and they couldn't even hold on to Suter.

Stop trying to defend crappy management.

You know why Spezza didn't want to go there?; because he knows the management is too cheap to grab him anybody else to play with.

Crappy management? Its Nashville.

Neal, Ribeiro, Roy, Jokinen via UFA/trade, the emergence of Forsberg and Pekka Rinne healthy is gonna really help Nashville be playoff competitive.

Those additions sound like a big crap shoot IMHO. More than a few question marks. The only one I would be interested in would be Neal in that UFA group. Bonus of short contracts. Stop gap waiting for youth

to develop I guess. Weber eating huge payroll so the best Poile could afford.

Derek Roy Conference Call
Nashville Predators Derek Roy Conference Call Transcript
Wednesday, 07.16.2014 / 4:01 PM
By NashvillePredators .com

Opening Remarks

I’m really excited to be a part of the Nashville Predators organization. It took me a while this summer to sign. There were a lot of teams involved but I thought this was a really good fit for me. It’s a great city and a great organization. I flew down there to meet with David Poile and check the city out a little bit. I’ve only heard great things about the organization and the city. I’m really excited to get this thing started. It’s a good fresh start for me, coming off a couple of seasons with injuries. I hope to be a big part of the Predators organization going forward.

On where he is physically and what type of role he can play…

Physically this summer I’ve moved to Toronto and been training with Gary Roberts. A bunch of NHL players train with him. It’s been great from a nutrition standpoint to working out every day. It’s been good, we’re skating and working out every day. It’s good for my health. It’s a nice one-stop shop for athletes that need to take care of their bodies and need to stay in shape. In terms of my play, I bring a lot of offense to the table. I’ve done that my whole career and my whole junior career. At the same time I try and play both sides of the puck. I play offense and defense. I’m defensive minded first then I move to the offensive zone. That’s been the way I’ve played my whole career. This year there is going to be a lot of offense need from me and I’m willing to take on that role and put up some numbers.

On how he feels about the Predators push to be successful through recent free agent signings…

It’s great. I think David Poile has a lot of hockey knowledge. He knows the game and has been around it a long time. He’s doing what is necessary for the team to win. Making that trade for James Neal was big. Trading away two players that have been in the organization for a long time isn’t easy to do but he did it and that just shows how much he wants to win. Bringing in some free agents and changing the team around is a tough job. But being in an organization that wants to win is great. I look forward to trying to win a Stanley Cup.

On why he choose to sign in Nashville over other teams…

I’ll never forget one of the games I played in Nashville when I was with the Sabres. During one of the TV timeouts we were trying to draw up a few plays, and the whole five minutes the fans were cheering as loud as they could so we couldn’t hear it. I remember just looking around at my teammates and saying, ‘wow that’s pretty cool; this would be a cool place to play.’ From that experience and others you can tell how great the fans are, and how much it has an impact on the team. I don’t think they get enough credit around the league for how great they are. The city of Nashville is great too. It’s a great city, great weather and really friendly people. David and Mr. Laviolette made it a lot easier of a move when I met with them too.

On how important depth at the center position is…

If you look at the Kings they had a lot of depth up the middle and they’ve been really successful over the last couple of years. Depth at center is big in this league, not only for winning face-offs but for controlling the play and controlling the power play.

On taking a mentoring role with the younger players…

We talked about that. It’s something I do without even noticing. If I see something in a young players game that needs improvement on I’ll give him pointers and tips on how to improve that. I learned that from playing in Buffalo with Chris Drury and Danny Briere. They helped me out, and now its time for me to teach the younger guys.

On playing for Laviolette…

I’ve played against him a lot and I know for a fact that he does like to push the puck offensively. He definitely plays a real offensive game. That’s good for me because I play an offensive game myself. Lots of speed and lots of puck control is something that will benefit me for sure.

On whether playing limited minutes in St. Louis was a problem last season…

That was one of things we looked at this summer. Signing in St. Louis was mostly about winning a Stanley Cup. We had a great team and a great regular season. Playing those limited minutes was tough though. I’ve always played 18 and 19, and then playing 12 and 13 was tough. So that’s what I looked for this summer was playing for a team that I could get back to those minutes. I want to get back to the player I used to be. Nashville was one of those teams; they were there from the start. It worked out, and hopefully down the road we can do something special.

On why he choose to sign in Nashville over other teams…

I’ll never forget one of the games I played in Nashville when I was with the Sabres. During one of the TV timeouts we were trying to draw up a few plays, and the whole five minutes the fans were cheering as loud as they could so we couldn’t hear it. I remember just looking around at my teammates and saying, ‘wow that’s pretty cool; this would be a cool place to play.’ From that experience and others you can tell how great the fans are, and how much it has an impact on the team. I don’t think they get enough credit around the league for how great they are. The city of Nashville is great too. It’s a great city, great weather and really friendly people. David and Mr. Laviolette made it a lot easier of a move when I met with them too.

It was saying stupid things like this that made Roy very unpopular in the Sabres' dressing room. In the end, two things did him in with the Sabres. During one of the games (I forget who it was against) near the end of the season, there was a scrum going on towards the end of the game and Roy said something to the effect of, "Calm down guys, it's just a game" to the other players. He was full of that kind of competitive "wisdom".

The coup de grâce came after he further alienated himself from the coaches when he took issue with Lindy Ruff during locker clean out day.

With his less than stellar efforts these past 2 seasons he ended up proving his critics, including Ruff, right.

That's why he now only makes 75k more than a first round draft rookie. I'll be surprised if he has any more than 2 seasons left in the NHL.

Instead of being a player that teams want, he is now a player that teams take a chance on.

Archived