The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Outsiders

I get so sick of people calling the twins soft. They are far from soft, kassian is actually a softer player then they are. They are not hitters but they are always willing to go head to head with bigger players battle them on the boards and come away with the puck.

^this... The people who say they are soft have either never played the game or they took too many blows to the head cause they were a goon. Yeah they don't hit, but there are few in the nhl that are as strong on the boards...one bad year and people jump ship.

Very uncomfortable with a 1st line that soft.

They will get WRECKED with how the west is stacking up this year.

They will get gooned occasionally for sure. That's why having Kassian as a RW option for the twins is important. Ideally you want someone who is more of a finisher than Kassian playing with them, but it wouldn't hurt him to develop that side of his game a bit more playing with them. I see Vrbata getting the most time with the twins, Burrows a little bit, Kassian spot duty when the going gets rough, and Jensen on a call-up basis. All are credible options.

I could see Burrows making it back with the twins for 5-on-5, and Vrbata being on the PP. I think there is another trade or two coming before opening night. We have too many vets, with no spots for the young guys, even though we have at least three (Jensen, Horvat, Corrado) who have a decent shot at earning a spot. It may not happen until the end of camp though, in case none of those guys step up enough. Not to mention the goalie situation.

Meh. If they're putting up points it's not that big of an issue. If it is then this is where a trade for an Evander Kane or Andrew Ladd makes so much sense.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

E. Kane/Ladd - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Matthias/Richardson - Vey - Dorsett

1st line for scoring, 2nd line for wearing the opponent down while putting up 15-25+ goals each.

Ladd?? Kane is the one that's "unhappy" with where he is, he's most likely to come here if there's a good trade... if at all?

Very uncomfortable with a 1st line that soft.

They will get WRECKED with how the west is stacking up this year.

Well he's the same size as Burrows and I think he's a lot tougher. Burrows plays a very feisty game but he's weak, Arizona's overall style of play was built playing against the Pacific Division. We could definitely use more size though. Evander Kane would sure fill that requirement.

Resonable numbers:

Daniel scores 23 goals and 37 assists =60 points.

Henrik scores 20 goals and 48 assists= 68 points

Radim scores 28 goals and 30 assists = 58 points

Burrows scores 20 goals and 15 assists= 35 points

Bonino scores 20 goals and 30 assists= 50 points

Kassian scores 23 goals and 26 assists= 49 points

This is how the top 6 should be. Well at least I hope so. But the first line getting most of our goals/clutch goals.

Hate to say it but it's very, very, very, unlikely Henrik breaks 20 goals. More like 14 at best. I also doubt Daniel gets 20. Hopefully Radim does score close to 30. Take about 5 goals off every player and you're close.

I like how you have more faith in burrows and Kassian stepping up than the two all time leading scorers in the history of the Canucks.

This forums lack of respect to the Sedins is disgusting.

Oh and when was the last time Henrik scored more goals than Daniel?? Nineteen ninety never

Sedins are going to put up 60-70 points most likely. There are other players that are going to step up and Burrows is going to bounce back with a 40 pts season if he ain't playing with the Sedins. If he is.. his numbers could rise up...

With all due respect.

How in any way have I lacked respect to the Sedins ? This is all based on assumption.. I'm not saying this is what they are actually going to get. I posted this assuming that you guys would know this is just an assumption. I'd be glad.. I mean with the season we had last year.. and competing in the west... and the new line up with more younger players... their points might fluctuate with more or less points especially when we have our young guns stepping up like Kassian, Jensen, Vey, and potentially Gaunce and Horvat who are all battling for a roster spot (Kassian not included). Sedins are the heart and soul of this team along with Burrows and Bieksa.. where would this team be without them....

The Sedins are plenty tough enough, but they are going to have to stop taking tripping and hooking minor penalties on the wrong side of the red line that they have taking too often in the past couple of years.

And even though their bread and butter is the cycle game along the wall, they're going to have to take the play to the net every once in awhile...they've become far too predictable over the past few years. Hopefully Vrbata will be able to hit the open seams in the lanes in front of the net to allow some different looks for the Sedins.

The Sedins are plenty tough enough, but they are going to have to stop taking tripping and hooking minor penalties on the wrong side of the red line that they have taking too often in the past couple of years.

And even though their bread and butter is the cycle game along the wall, they're going to have to take the play to the net every once in awhile...they've become far too predictable over the past few years. Hopefully Vrbata will be able to hit the open seams in the lanes in front of the net to allow some different looks for the Sedins.

Yeah I agree 100% on the bad minor penalties. They are just sheer lazy on defense and prefer to trip, or hook to get the puck back instead of skating hard. I hope that changes.

I think this line will do great. People talk about Sedins needing a protector on the ice but they've performed great over the years with Burrows who is hardly a physically imposing figure player.

Sure, Sedins need a hard working player who can dig the puck out but that third player needs to have more skill to finish the player than the ability to dig the puck out. Case in point, Hansen. Hansen is a tenacious player (except last season) who digs the puck out and fights well along the boards, but he hardly produced when he was put on the line with the Sedins. Kesler and Burrows both have produced with the Sedins because they can retrieve the puck and can finish the play.

Vrbata sure can finish the play probably better than Burrows, it remains to be seen if he can retrieve the puck as well as Burrows but my guess is that he can -- you don't score 35 goals in this league without the ability to retrieve the puck and win the puck battles along the boards.

I think a lineup like this would work

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Higgins-Vey-Jensen

Matthais-Richardson-Dorsett

(Hansen traded) (Sestito 13th forward)

Vrbata's gonna start on the 1st line 90% tho.

Sedin's are probably gonna be 70 point scorers and Vrbata being a 60 point scorer.

Guest Dasein

Resonable numbers:

Daniel scores 23 goals and 37 assists =60 points.

Henrik scores 20 goals and 48 assists= 68 points

Radim scores 28 goals and 30 assists = 58 points

Burrows scores 20 goals and 15 assists= 35 points

Bonino scores 20 goals and 30 assists= 50 points

Kassian scores 23 goals and 26 assists= 49 points

This is how the top 6 should be. Well at least I hope so. But the first line getting most of our goals/clutch goals.

Man, with numbers like that, we're going to need to play very good defensively and Miller's gonna have to steal some games for us.

Pretty much this.

People , including the media, seem to play the Sedin's up as being able to play with anyone successfully. When in reality that is far from being the case. As skilled as the Sedin's are, it was very difficult for us to find a suitable player to play with them. I think Vrbata is a good fit for them on paper, but who is going to forecheck hard for them and dig pucks out of corners? I think they have the potential to be an amazing PP unit, but they will struggle in 5 on 5 play. Although we won't be a lottery team this year, I think we're going to be very lucky to be a wildcard team. A lot of things have to go absolutely perfectly in order for us to be a fringe contender in the west.

Yes we changed our forward group, but as weak as our forwards were, our transition game from the back end is what really killed us. We sorely lack a true offensive defenseman that can skate and drive the play. Current management seems to think Edler can be that guy, but we all know that Edler does not possess the skill set to fill this role. I'm a huge Edler fan, but I'm objective and see his limitations. The fact that the new managment hasn't seen this is very troubling IMO.

I thought that initially too, because we're so used to seeing the dump and chase with Burrows. However, I think Sedins + Vrbata may still be an effective line. It all depends on whether WD utilizes a system that plays to their strength, unlike Torts who tried to dump and chase on every possession.

The argument that Sedins + Vrbata would not look good in real life is that they can't forecheck hard to retrieve pucks, but what if they didn't dump and chase to enter the zone?

Burrows had success with the twins because they played to Burrows' strength - which is the dump and chase, but when it was the two of them (4-on-4 or on a rush), they often carried the puck in with short passes to themselves - or when they dump, they play a bank pass to each other off the board. It's never been a pure dump and chase with the Sedins. Vrbata is the first winger since Naslund that has the skillset to play that game (carrying the puck in). Also, Vrbata has the speed and skill to skate the puck in by himself.

I think if WD doesn't dump and chase, but actually allow the Sedins and Vrbata to try to carry the puck in, this line could be as good in reality as it is on paper.

Archived