The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs ink Cody Franson , 1 Year $ 3,3 Million

FML WHY?!

This guy is one of the worst defencemen in the NHL. I hope to god he walks like oldnews predicted.

We have 2 guys on the roster with a similar skill set but younger and cheaper in Rielly and Gardiner. Why hold on to 3 guys that can't defend?

First we lose Gunnarsson, now this.

Horrible.

Lol i know right. Franson sucks so bad. IMO, if he was a Left-Handed defenceman he would not be in the NHL.

The Leafs had no option. They had 4 NHL D signed and it's mid July all the UFA are signed. They now have 5 NHL defensmen, they have a roster of 20 players already signed but just one goalie and 5 D .....I'm missing what they're going to do, Franson and his agent made out great...who would you rather have Tanev at $2 or Franson at $3.3 The Leafs now have $7.7 left need at least another 3 D including Gardiner ( $$$ .... ?? ) and who's their back up goalie going to be and for how much

I just don't get it, I'm obviously missing some thing

I think Nonis is counting on Petter Grannberg to step up this year.

He looks like he could, NHL size.

I think Nonis is counting on Petter Grannberg to step up this year.

He looks like he could, NHL size.

Didn't the Leafs fundamentally have the worse Defense in the NHL last season. They were the 5th worse in goals against. Who's in charge ? and is the answer a rookie from the Marlies to pull the chestnuts out of the fire. I keep thinking what am I missing. Maybe they're looking to pick up some Boston left overs...but they'll be competing with Detroit for D they're not exactly filled with all stars on the blue line....but better off than TO

Hits. Franson had more of them than any other TO player last season. Led team in takeaways. 3rd in blocked-shots. (Looking for upside here.)

Problem is Polak is there now, so it's like Nonis has already planned on Franson's departure. I don't mind Polak, but i'd say Franson has more potential. Whether that potential gets realized is an unknown though. Nashville may have let him go in the first place because of these concerns.

Signing Robidas might not have been the best move. A future buyout is almost a certainty. He also shoots right. So is Dion going to play left?

Dion Franson

Gardiner Polak

Reilly Robidas

At least the younglings get to play with defensively-abled vets.

Didn't the Leafs fundamentally have the worse Defense in the NHL last season. They were the 5th worse in goals against. Who's in charge ? and is the answer a rookie from the Marlies to pull the chestnuts out of the fire. I keep thinking what am I missing. Maybe they're looking to pick up some Boston left overs...but they'll be competing with Detroit for D they're not exactly filled with all stars on the blue line....but better off than TO

I'd honestly say bottom 5 maybe the worst for sure. Our goaltending kept us in it until Bernier went down. That defence was painful to watch. 40+ shots a game.....

Lots of short-term bridge contracts being thrown around for some reason this off-season. It looks like GMs are wise to the flaws behind dealing out big, stupid contracts with NTCs and are opting for much safer shorter contracts.

There are a few of these bridge contracts that I expect players like Vaatenen and Kassian to exploit and demand big bucks once their smaller contracts expire, but I feel Franson won't really explode offensively just yet.

Archived