The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Leafs ink Cody Franson , 1 Year $ 3,3 Million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=457612

The Toronto Maple Leafs have avoided arbitration with restricted free agent defenceman Cody Franson.

Toronto reached an agreement on a $3.3 million one-year contract with the 26-year-old defenceman.

In 79 games with the Leafs in 2013-14, Franson scored five goals and 28 assists. He made $2 million on his last contract.

This marks the third consecutive one-year deal Franson has signed with the Leafs since being acquired via trade from the Nashville Predators in 2011.

Originally selected in the third round (79th overall) of the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by the Predators, Franson has scored 28 goals and added 105 assists in 322 career games with Nashville and Toronto. The Leafs acquired Franson from the Predators along with Matthew Lombardi in exchange forBrett Lebda, Robert Slaney and a conditional draft pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-leafs-sign-franson-for-3-3-million/

The Toronto Maple Leafs avoided arbitration with the 26-year old defenceman by agreeing to a one-year, $3.3-million deal.

Cody Franson is a defenceman I would overpay in free agency to get. He will have a ton of interest, he's got top-2 potential written all over him.

2015-2016 D-Core:

Edler - Franson

Hamhuis - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

2016-2017

Edler - Franson

Sbisa - Tanev

Hutton - Corrado

FML WHY?!

This guy is one of the worst defencemen in the NHL. I hope to god he walks like oldnews predicted.

We have 2 guys on the roster with a similar skill set but younger and cheaper in Rielly and Gardiner. Why hold on to 3 guys that can't defend?

First we lose Gunnarsson, now this.

Horrible.

I like Franson.

I don't get what Toronto's problem is with it's D. They hate on Gardiner, nearly take one of their best guys to arbitration, trade their +/- leader for Polak??? and try to ship out their Captain.

Somehow their 6 is still decent but.. way to alienate everybody in the process.

The Leafs had no option. They had 4 NHL D signed and it's mid July all the UFA are signed. They now have 5 NHL defensmen, they have a roster of 20 players already signed but just one goalie and 5 D .....I'm missing what they're going to do, Franson and his agent made out great...who would you rather have Tanev at $2 or Franson at $3.3 The Leafs now have $7.7 left need at least another 3 D including Gardiner ( $$$ .... ?? ) and who's their back up goalie going to be and for how much

I just don't get it, I'm obviously missing some thing

Archived