The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. chief gets $900,000 in pay, nearly three times what PM makes

Grapefruits

A B.C. chief is attracting attention after his salary became public knowledge under the new First Nations Financial Transparency Act.

CTVNews.ca Staff - Aug 1

A B.C. chief is attracting attention after his pay became public knowledge under the new First Nations Financial Transparency Act.

As head of the Kwikwetlem First Nation, Ron Giesbrecht received $915,000.

A statement from the Kwikwetlam nation said that, as chief, Giesbrecht earned a salary of $4,800. As the nation’s economic development officer, he was paid $80,000. On top of that, the statement said, Giesbrecht got a bonus of $800,000 based on profit from development projects.

According to a report in The Globe and Mail, financial statements show revenue at $12.6 million for this year, up from $2.8 million the previous year.

Giesbrecht’s salary would be tax-free. And his total pay is much more than what other politicians make. The mayor of Port Coquitlam, a city near the reserve, makes $88,651, according to information released on the city’s website on January 1.

Even in Ottawa, the Parliament of Canada website says Stephen Harper makes $163,700 as Prime Minister, and an additional $163,700 as a member of parliament. That means his total salary is still short of $330,000, less than half of what Giesbrecht makes.

There are about eighty-five people in the Kwikwetlem nation. About half of the group lives in half a dozen houses and trailers on a small reserve east of Vancouver, near the Fraser River.

Giesbrecht lives in a condo on a hill overlooking the valley where the reserve is located.

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/b-c-chief-gets-900000-in-pay-nearly-three-times-what-pm-makes/

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like someone has some explaining to do. Just watching him on the news. Looks like a deer in a headlight. Says he has to explain things to his band members. I bet he does.

They are not happy about it and feel he should resign. Likely because many live in poverty.

It gets even better, a Chief in Manitoba collected more than the Premier there in 2013 for 125 members.

http://www.theloop.ca/ctvnews/b-c-chief-gets-900000-in-pay-nearly-three-times-what-pm-makes/

Now a Chief in Calgary is refusing to disclose his Salary: http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2014/08/20140801-190609.html

Looks like the corruption will finally come out for all to see.

85 people ?

Now is this money from the Government ? I have a big problem with this if that's the case. If someone earns money and is given a bonus from profits that is a different story.

As for the members of the Kwikwetlem nation, I am unaware of living conditions but I would hope they have not gone without, that nation if only 85 or so members should be set up nicely if this isn't a case of misallocation of funds.

His wage isn't bad, but the huge bonus he got for the development projects certainly looks that way. Hopefully his band members can review what's going on - making sure both development and profits are in everyone's best interest and not just the huge bribe that it looks to be.

Wonder why taxpayers had to pay a small chief so much $? Really weird considering how much the first nations complain about housing and school.

the chiefs tkae the money they get from the government and its up to them to used it for the band... then these guys just pocket most of it and cry to the band that us tax payers dont pay them enough to sit around , so they band members get very little and believe the chief when he says the government is screwing them over... when reallys its their own....

Just like to point out one or two small things.

The Conservative Government is calling for full disclosure on this and using phrases like "worried about the taxpayers money" "responsible with tax dollars" and so much more.

All while still not disclosing their own spending habits and mired in currently no less than 14 spending scandals, and 7 different on going court issues for spending, misspending and expense allegations.

I am all for full disclosure, but please do not try to win brownie points with the public by outing people whom you literally gave a green light to by ignoring the Kelowna accord and then basically handed a blank cheque free of oversight.

I would like to know where our tax dollars are being spent.

ALL of it. including every last $16 glass of OJ.

Just like to point out one or two small things.

The Conservative Government is calling for full disclosure on this and using phrases like "worried about the taxpayers money" "responsible with tax dollars" and so much more.

All while still not disclosing their own spending habits and mired in currently no less than 14 spending scandals, and 7 different on going court issues for spending, misspending and expense allegations.

I am all for full disclosure, but please do not try to win brownie points with the public by outing people whom you literally gave a green light to by ignoring the Kelowna accord and then basically handed a blank cheque free of oversight.

I would like to know where our tax dollars are being spent.

ALL of it. including every last $16 glass of OJ.

Good point. I know we don't see eye-to-eye on many political things, based on some other threads here, but transparency is important when it comes to government. I'm not close enough to specifics in Canadian government anymore, but down here in the US, it is not something that has improved lately, and it pisses people off.

Too many politicians forget about consent of the governed. They are there to represent us, not be our masters.

Wonder why taxpayers had to pay a small chief so much $? Really weird considering how much the first nations complain about housing and school.

The majority of that pay was a $800,000 bonus based on profit from a development project. Not paid by the taxpayers.

Corruption and mismanagement amongst first nations is ingrained at every level in every tribe. Its gonna take a long long time to weed it out.

Good point. I know we don't see eye-to-eye on many political things, based on some other threads here, but transparency is important when it comes to government. I'm not close enough to specifics in Canadian government anymore, but down here in the US, it is not something that has improved lately, and it pisses people off.

Too many politicians forget about consent of the governed. They are there to represent us, not be our masters.

As a first nations member I will be the first to say that since the Harper Government basically scrapped the Kelowna accord, that first nations people outside of the managerial or ministerial levels are getting screwed hard. Fighting now for every penny their bands have to offer lately. Attawapiskat is a prime example, an entire band screwed now and out of money because of their elected elders pocketing the dough

BUT!

To claim you are trying to "protect tax payers money" while refusing to

A: Balance a budget

B: Show us the actual numbers while keeping 2 and sometimes 3 different sets of books

C: Divulge expense and travel information

D: Allow full inspection and open bid sourcing of all procurement contracts such as the new naval ships, helicopters and F-35

You are HARDLY able to set yourself on a pedestal as a paragon of tax payers dollars with all of the ongoing allegations, court proceedings and criminal charges being levied.

I demand full transparency period for my tax dollars, and I expect no less from anyone else who cares about their country and fellow countrymen.

The majority of that pay was a $800,000 bonus based on profit from a development project. Not paid by the taxpayers.

Corruption and mismanagement amongst first nations is ingrained at every level in every tribe. Its gonna take a long long time to weed it out.

I read it quickly so correct me if i'm wrong.. but that "development" project and the "profit" was just a transfer of 8 mill from the federal government.. it wasn't some private investment this guy wheeled and dealed for.

I read it quickly so correct me if i'm wrong.. but that "development" project and the "profit" was just a transfer of 8 mill from the federal government.. it wasn't some private investment this guy wheeled and dealed for.

The development projects are actual projects where the tribe has partnered with private contractors in bids on public works projects. The main one worth $8 million to the tribe is part of the evergreen line construction job. The contractors partner with first nations tribes because the Gov gives extra points to bids from companies that do.

As a first nations member I will be the first to say that since the Harper Government basically scrapped the Kelowna accord, that first nations people outside of the managerial or ministerial levels are getting screwed hard. Fighting now for every penny their bands have to offer lately. Attawapiskat is a prime example, an entire band screwed now and out of money because of their elected elders pocketing the dough

BUT!

To claim you are trying to "protect tax payers money" while refusing to

A: Balance a budget

B: Show us the actual numbers while keeping 2 and sometimes 3 different sets of books

C: Divulge expense and travel information

D: Allow full inspection and open bid sourcing of all procurement contracts such as the new naval ships, helicopters and F-35

You are HARDLY able to set yourself on a pedestal as a paragon of tax payers dollars with all of the ongoing allegations, court proceedings and criminal charges being levied.

I demand full transparency period for my tax dollars, and I expect no less from anyone else who cares about their country and fellow countrymen.

Don't forget the 3 billion (with a 'b') dollars that went missing and still hasn't been found.

I'm also for full transparency, but what bothers me about this situation is that the Conservatives would love nothing more than for every FN to give up their land, rights, and sovereignty so their government can be done with the "Indian Problem," and that now all we are going to see is one big smear campaign against FN bands to rile up support against them.

I can't wait for the election next year.

The development projects are actual projects where the tribe has partnered with private contractors in bids on public works projects. The main one worth $8 million to the tribe is part of the evergreen line construction job. The contractors partner with first nations tribes because the Gov gives extra points to bids from companies that do.

But the money came from the government.. and therefore the taxpayer.

Archived