The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden's Comments on Team Culture and Player Changes

JamesB

In Sunday's Province (Aug. 3) Trevor Linden is interviewd by Ed Willis. (www.theprovince.com/sports/Willes+Canucks+have+hope+image/10086655/story.html).

Linden says that one improvement this year is that the mood around the team should be better and that he is really happy to have guys who want to be here. Since there is not much hockey news right now, I thought I would go over the changes between last year's mid-season line-up and what we are likely to see this year.

1. Goal: Ryan Miller instead of Roberto Luongo (Lack still back-up)

2. Defence: Luca Sbisa instead of Jason Garrison (Otherwise the same)

3. Centre: Bonino instead of Kesler and Vey instead of Santorelli.

4. Wingers: Vrbata and Dorsett instead of Booth and Weise.

5. Extra forwards Dalpe and Schroeder gone. Not clear yet who gets their spots.

In terms of talent I see this as pretty close to a wash.

1. Miller and Luongo are both very good. Hard to pick one over the other right now.

2. Garrison is better than Sbisa but not by much and that could reverse in a year.

3. Most people would take Kesler and Santorelli over Bonino and Vey but I would predict that it will be close in terms of performance this year.

4. Vrbata amd Dorsett are an upgrade over Booth and Weise.

5. Whoever replaces Dalpe and Schroeder will be an improvement.

But what about the team "culture".

1. The Luongo saga was obviously hurting the team. Even though Luonogo came across as a likeable guy, it is good to have that drama over. But Ryan Miller is not exactly warm and fuzzy and there could be issues if Lack outplays Miller.

2. Garriaon seemed to be a likeable guy who really wanted to be here. Nothing against Sbisa, but I see losing Garrison as a negative to the room.

3. I think we are now allowed to admit that Kesler was always an a""h***. He was tough and surly -- and that was with his friends. Losing him has to help team morale. But Santorelli was a quiet guy who really wanted to be here and played his heart out every night. I am sorry to see him go. Both Bonino and Vey are apparently happy to be here and like WD, so it is good to have them.

4. Hard to say much about Vrbata and Dorsett. Vrbata likes the idea of playing with the Sedins and Dorsett likes WD. Booth was a strange guy. He probably did not hurt "the room" but probably did not contribute a lot. Weise always felt underappreciated here (and I can see why).

5. Nothing against Dalpe and Schroeder but it would be a big plus if a young guy like Horvat can make an impact.

Bottom line: I think the biggest change to team morale and team culture is not due to the playes but to the coach. Torts (and Sullivan) were both very negative and, while they were happy to have jobs, never showed much interest in being here and never connected with the players (or the fans). WD seems like a great guy (and Lidster is also very happy to be here as an assistant coach).

And of course Linden himself casts a warm glow over the entire team.

In terms of performance the key thing for the Canucks is getting bounce back from the many guys who had poor seasons. Linden mentioned the need for bounceback from Edler, the Sedins, Hanson, and Burrows.

Let's hope WD can make that happen.

The mood often gets sour when the losses pile up. For a veteran group that's been winning for awhile it's really hard to take. Nobody wants to learn that it's over. So I guess the question is when the team can get back to winning again.

The mood often gets sour when the losses pile up. For a veteran group that's been winning for awhile it's really hard to take. Nobody wants to learn that it's over. So I guess the question is when the team can get back to winning again.

maybe in october....linden said that until the old and new people play together.....we won't know what we got...imo, the new coach is going to have as big an impact on their play this year as the players will.

Agreed. A fresh face with an open idea of what this team has and the best way to use them effectively will make by far the biggest difference. The main big difference as far as personell goes obviously is Kesler. A bonafide 2C. I don't know enough about Bonino yet. Either way, good luck to this squad this year. Should make for entertaining hockey I hope.

Here's the interview in full:

In the four months since Trevor Linden assumed control of the organization, the Vancouver Canucks have hired a new GM, a new head coach, a new coaching staff, traded away Ryan Kesler, selected twice in the first round of the NHL draft and added six new players who’ll change the look and feel of the NHL team.

Somewhere in all that activity, Linden has succeeded in changing the perception of the Canucks. Yes, they’re still the team which fired its general manager and head coach last season while finishing 25th in a 30-team league. But the Canucks can now sell hope and a new direction under a man who’s been synonymous with the franchise for the better part of 30 years.

This week, Linden sat down and talked with Province Sports columnist Ed Willes about what’s transpired and what lies ahead.

ED WILLES: It’s been an interesting four months. Have you had a chance to reflect on everything that’s happened?

TREVOR LINDEN: You know, I hear a lot of people saying, ‘You’ve accomplished a lot and you’ve changed things.’ I guess I’m happy with some of the things we’ve been able to do. But I know the rubber meets the road in October and that’s what really matters. I don’t really reflect too much. I’ve got my eye on when it counts.

EW: You’ve used the backup quarterback analogy a couple of times and congratulations, it’s a great analogy. But sooner or later the backup quarterback gets in the game. When do you stop being the backup quarterback?

TL: The backup quarterback is under centre now. I know there are going to be times throughout the season it’s going to be tough. Every move we’ve made will be analyzed and assessed. All I can do is work hard and develop a thicker skin because the last few years the backup quarterback hasn’t made a bad play.

EW: What will be different about the 2014-15 Canucks?

TL: We’ll assemble a group of players who are excited to be here. We want to be a team where every player has a significant part in success and that comes down to (new head coach Willie Desjardins). We’ve gotten younger and deeper. And we want to be a team that’s exciting to watch. I think, for whatever reason, there wasn’t a good feeling around the team last year and people pick up on that, whether it’s the fans or the media.

EW: That brings up the question of Ryan Kesler. Was it a body blow to the organization to have a player of that stature say he doesn’t want to be a part of the team anymore?

TL: Every player has different reasons for making different decisions and I don’t really know the history of Ryan’s decision. But we want people who want to be here. I can’t tell you how nice it is to talk to Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, Ryan Miller, Derek Dorsett, guys who are so excited to come to Vancouver. When you talk to those guys, you don’t think about the guys who don’t want to be here.

EW: There’s a perception out there that ownership was overly involved in the day-to-day operations of this team. Are you satisfied you have autonomy?

TL: I think I had to be comfortable with their expectations of me and how we’d work. I can only say I’ve had full control over what we do to this point. Our ownership wants to win, and they care. They’ve proven that with some of the cheques they’ve had to write this spring.

EW: You’ve been around Willie Desjardins for over a month now. What have you seen there?

TL: I didn’t know Willie that well except for meeting him at a couple of Memorial Cups. The thing that intrigued me about Willie is his teams played hard for him. He has the ability to get his guys to buy in. What I’ve seen in the last month is he’s a real down-to-earth guy. He connects to people on a real level. He’s not trying to sell you something. He’s authentic and he cares about guys. I think guys respond to that. We expect to be a playoff team. But there are few things we need to do. We have to recapture the guys who had off seasons (last year), whether that’s Alex Burrows, Jannik Hansen, Alex Edler or Daniel or Henrik (Sedin). We need to get those guys back in the rink and having fun, and we need to integrate younger players into the lineup. Ultimately it’s how that 20-man group performs and executes and we want to do a better job of that than anyone else. That’s up to Willie and his staff to get this group playing better.

EW: You also have some long-range goals for this organization. The term “culture change” is thrown around a lot these days. Does it apply here?

TL: We want to share the same values and characteristics whether that’s through me, (general manager Jim Benning), Willie and the players. It’s the same consistent message. We want to be a group which is down-to-earth, hard-working, committed and connects with fans at every level. I’ve just been so impressed with Jim. He’s walked into a situation and it’s been all about the work. He said something to me early on about when he walks into a meeting, there are no titles. It’s not about what’s on your business card. He’s lived up to that and it’s been a real message to me.

EW: So no mind room next year?

TL (smiling, sort of): No.

EW: I want to ask you about Ryan Miller. Polarizing is a strong word, but I think that was the one move that sparked the strongest reaction.

TL: We can’t have Daniel and Henrik, Alex Burrows and Chris Higgins, all these veterans, and not give them every chance they need to win. As much as we felt (rookie goalie Eddie Lack) made great steps last year, Jim believes goaltending is the most important position in the game. He needed to know every night we had a chance to win and we’re going to be good in that position. That’s the foundation of your team. Nothing destroys confidence faster if you struggle at that position. We weren’t willing to risk that, and the three-year term (on Miller’s contract) gave us some flexibility.

EW: You’ve had some interesting things to say about the role of fighting in the game. Do you think things are changing there?

TL: Fighting is supposed to be there to protect our top players. I’m not sure it has that effect. I think that happened in the ’70s and ’80s, but I think that ended when the game progressed. I don’t speak for every fan, but I think there are a lot of fans out there who don’t understand the staged fight. Within the context of the game it isn’t relevant. Everyone loves playoff hockey and we saw incredible games in these playoffs. It was hard-hitting, fast and intense. And, generally speaking, fighting isn’t part of playoff hockey.

Some of the best parts of our game are the hitting and clean body contact. The reaction now is to go after that guy. I don’t know what the answer is but we have to look at it. I’m open to having the conversation but I think we have to look at being progressive. I think (Tampa Bay Lightning GM) Steve Yzerman shares the same views. I know it’s not popular with some people.

Good points being made.

It's tough to say...sometimes you have to let a group play through things and find their success again but that didn't pan out, mostly because injuries hampered any chance of it.

I'm always excited to see what a new season brings...hopeful and optimistic, but I've learned to harness that a bit because it's a long season. Even if we jump out of the gates quickly, usually new players will be eager to make an impact. It's over time that things will be revealed...during losses and injuries...that's the true test of a team it seems.

Issues were in the way of simply focusing on hockey. Hopefully we can just center the discussion about that and leave the other he said/did stuff out of it. Hated the whole Luongo thing...felt like a wet blanket over the team. Then Kes.

I just want to see the guys play healthy for awhile and then decide. But love that Linden's on board...if anyone knows how to do this game, it's him.

The Linden/Benning tandem shows all indications it's a great mix. Both are on the same page. Both want what's best for the club.

Linden is the "face" of the franchise, takes all the media pressure off. Benning just is the architect to put the players in place to take this team to the next level.

There might be struggles for a couple of seasons. But long term. The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

I don't think you could have gotten a better group as far as management and coaching goes with so much personal familiarity and BC connections. And last year it seems like a lot of people wern't on the same page so it will be good to see a cohesive team atmosphere again. Benning, Linden, WD, Lidster, Gulutzan, etc etc are all quality people.

Player wise I really like the moves and am excited to see all the new faces. Not sure how WD is going to coach the team but really excited to see what he can do to get the vets back on their game.

Pretty safe to say that everyone Canucks wise from the top down have a lot to prove next year. Hope that hunger shines on the ice.

It's really hard to try to measure how solid this group is because almost everyone, even many of the veterans, are question marks. I will say that Miller is likely a upgrade on Luongo simply because he actually wants to be here, though.

Common theme seems to be about the vibe in the room - people who want to be here over those that don't. Doesn't surprise me there was a bad feeling based on how the past 3 seasons ended. Hopefully these moves have more of a positive effect than on paper since on there it's a wash but in reality it's a huge breath of fresh air into a stale room.

I also noticed what he said about signing Miller - naming the vets and wanting to give them a chance to win. Again, seems like he's intentionally addressing the psychology of the group - trying to get the guys excited and positive after last season.

maybe in october....linden said that until the old and new people play together.....we won't know what we got...imo, the new coach is going to have as big an impact on their play this year as the players will.

Yeah,

This team could go in either direction.

And I really see WD as the #1 factor, if he gets everyone feeling good about the team early on, he's earned his money.

Common theme seems to be about the vibe in the room - people who want to be here over those that don't. Doesn't surprise me there was a bad feeling based on how the past 3 seasons ended. Hopefully these moves have more of a positive effect than on paper since on there it's a wash but in reality it's a huge breath of fresh air into a stale room.

I also noticed what he said about signing Miller - naming the vets and wanting to give them a chance to win. Again, seems like he's intentionally addressing the psychology of the group - trying to get the guys excited and positive after last season.

I think St. Louis was Miller's shot at the cup, his singing with Vancouver is just about being as close to his wife in LA as possible, He didn't come here to win anything. I expect he'll punch the clock, cash his checks and keep a low profile.

Vbtrata is a pro but I don't think he cares about a Stanley cup any more then we care about the World Championships,

The hunger is going to have to come from elsewhere, Vey? Kass?

I think St. Louis was Miller's shot at the cup, his singing with Vancouver is just about being as close to his wife in LA as possible, He didn't come here to win anything. I expect he'll punch the clock, cash his checks and keep a low profile.

Vbtrata is a pro but I don't think he cares about a Stanley cup any more then we care about the World Championships,

I see a big year for kass. Big. Like 40 pts big.

I agree with what you're saying. I didn't mean, nor read, that those two were going to provide the hunger - rather, give the vets reason to believe they have a chance. Losing a Kesler and Luongo and playing some kids may excite the fan base, but would be puke-worthy from veterans on the roster.

Again, clear attention to creating a positive room. I think the problem was deeper than Torts.

To add to your point ilduce39, I think TL is making two related points with his statement...the first as you say, is to get the core excited and positive about the coming season, and the second being a subtle challenge/exertion of pressure on the core.

I interpret TL's comment as a statement of fact that Benning has provided the core a chance to win every night, and having done so, it's up to the veteran group to show up every single shift and give it everything they've got and deliver results.

The seeds of a winning mindset is being has been planted.

It's really hard to try to measure how solid this group is because almost everyone, even many of the veterans, are question marks. I will say that Miller is likely a upgrade on Luongo simply because he actually wants to be here, though.

I'd rather have Luongo has an "upgrade" then Miller any day of the week. But not that contract though.. :bigblush:

So you're telling us that the only reason they signed here is because they don't care about the cup..? Vancouver isn't a place to just hang out and have a "low profile".. fans want to see the cup hoisted as well as the veterans. I believe we can be a play-off team next year.. heck who knows if Sedins comeback with a solid 60-80 point seasons.. and our depth steps their game up, we can compete for the cup..

That is horrible assumption... ( you're making ass u and me right now) I believe Vrbata and Miller will do everything they can to add the stanley cup to their resume.. as well as the veterans..

I hope you're wrong, terrible.dee.

I hope that Miller and Vrbata are coming to Vancouver with the desire to win even if the odds are against the team from being a bonafide Cup contender. If they don't have that desire to win, then these two guys would be very bad signings by the Canucks.

One thing for sure, if the Canucks are going to be competitive, we're going to need a push from everyone, including Vey and Kass.

To add to your point ilduce39, I think TL is making two related points with his statement...the first as you say, is to get the core excited and positive about the coming season, and the second being a subtle challenge/exertion of pressure on the core.

I interpret TL's comment as a statement of fact that Benning has provided the core a chance to win every night, and having done so, it's up to the veteran group to show up every single shift and give it everything they've got and deliver results.

The seeds of a winning mindset is being has been planted.

I agree with this - to clarify I don't agree with terrible.dee that they "don't care" but I admit Vrbata could have probably signed for less with a stronger team and Miller I'm not sure had too many options with contenders. They're here to support and shake-up the core, not replace it.

Still, I think they're still pro's who want to win and compete. They will provide enough skill, talent and leadership to shake up the core for sure. They also must believe this team has a solid chance to make the playoffs - and then anything can happen. I like it.

Archived