The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

St. Louis police shoot, kill knife-wielding suspect

PrideInThisTeam

This is what happens when people are mentally challenged/on drugs

lol at all you suggesting tasers. Someone with a knife who clearly has a death wish coming at you and you're gonna use you're freaking taser? lol just lol

Wow.. I wonder if he was on bath salts or something.

the vast majority of people in the UK do not have guns... every man and his dog in the USA have automatic weapons and guns better than the canadian military...

The sad but funny thing is that it's true. There are state of the art guns that can easily be turned from a semi-automatic into a full fledged automatic owned by a whole lot of people.

Buffalo just recently had a gun buy back program and a woman turned in an actual Uzi. That made me chuckle a bit.

The sad but funny thing is that it's true. There are state of the art guns that can easily be turned from a semi-automatic into a full fledged automatic owned by a whole lot of people.

Buffalo just recently had a gun buy back program and a woman turned in an actual Uzi. That made me chuckle a bit.

She needed to pawn it for money to grab a Kalashnikov before they're off shelves completely.

Why does everyone seem to think they know how to be a police officer? It's gotta be the hardest job out there. You are forced to make split second decisions and unfortunately this sometimes results in people dying.

Why blame the police for this? If the guy was mentally unstable as mentioned, the blame goes well beyond the incident involving his unfortunate death. Poorly funded programs for those suffering with mental disorders is the root of this incident.

All you have to do is look no further than the DTES. There are plenty of people who suffer from mental illness just wandering aimlessly about that could easily find themselves in a similar situation as the fella in this case. Should he have been shot and killed? Who I am to judge sitting here behind my keyboard? I wasn't the one who had a knife wielding guy with a metal disorder bearing down on me.

This is the most reasonable comment in this whole thread. Unfortunately cases exist where lethal force has to be used to protect yourself and possibly others. You don't have time to think about someone's mental stability or alternate means of diffusing a situation, sadly a gun in certain situations is going to be your greatest chance at maintaining stability

Equal force is wrong. In a case where no time is given to use non violent methods to disarm the person or those methods prove unsuccessful the options become intermediate force (electronic or impact weapons, chemical sprays etc) or deadly force. If the guy is coming at you with a knife the standard reply is deadly force. The fact that he yelled "Kill me now" makes us assume he was committing suicide by cop.

Equal force implies that if a guy comes at you with a knife you should engage in a knife fight with him. Ridiculous. The cops usually have the equipment advantage and I see no reason why they would want to give up that advantage in any situation.

Of course we're not talking about the force literally being equal but something close to that. Had this been applied, Brown would still be alive right now. Just because you can unload your clip into a big brother doesn't mean you should. Because he "rushed" you despite clearly being unarmed doesn't justify using your gun. If the only way you can protect yourself is with a gun then you probably shouldn't be on the job. Plenty of US officers demonstrate that their first reaction is to pull their gun out. It's almost a lack of training it seems. "I don't know what else to do so i'll use my gun.."

Archived