The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts was right.

TheRussianRocket.

I love how everyone blames Tortorella. Sure, the lack of practice and communication with the Comets was really bad.

It's not his fault there was basically no 4th line. It's not his fault Edler made a lot of mental mistakes, mainly in the defensive zone. It's not his fault that everyone got injured (unless you want to blame it on blocking shots or being overplayed [again lack of depth]).

I agree with firing him, but the blame for last season cannot be primarily pressed on him.

I love how everyone blames Tortorella. Sure, the lack of practice and communication with the Comets was really bad.

It's not his fault there was basically no 4th line. It's not his fault Edler made a lot of mental mistakes, mainly in the defensive zone. It's not his fault that everyone got injured (unless you want to blame it on blocking shots or being overplayed [again lack of depth]).

I agree with firing him, but the blame for last season cannot be primarily pressed on him.

Everyone?

No 4th line? Weise disagrees.

True the blame does not fall on Torts alone...GMMG and "the core" all played a part.

Everyone?

True the blame does not fall on Torts alone...GMMG and "the core" all played a part.

Hyperbole.

Compare Weise's linemates in Montreal to the ones here. He couldn't make up a good 4th line alone, with Dalpe/Schroeder (who shouldn't even be in the NHL yet), Sestito, or whoever else had to be rushed in due to injuries.

Right or wrong, he still wouldn't use 4 lines and had a cookie cutter approach to team defense, which just doesn't work for all players...like the Sedins.

I would not be upset if he was still here as long he was going to work within Benning's vision, but I have no nostalgia for him after the crap season he was our coach for. All he did in the presser was tell the truth...which should have been fairly obvious. I am sure he did not want to stay as our coach if there wasn't going to be changes, so he had nothing to lose.

Yeah no nothing to lose when he walks away with 6 milion dollars for doing nothing..he was a complete moron..yah think he is still living in point roberts of course he is thats where he can keep his american &** .. He gets paid either way which shouldnt be he should have lost all of it cause he did not want to play the game whos the boss whiny Torts or Gillis and or the owner think about that ...

I was against firing Torts initially but after hearing how little effort he gave to make things work here... I think Linden made the right decision in letting this guy go.

He doesn't have any right to criticize the players. How can any player respect the words of a coach that doesn't believe in practice? Never shows up for the practices? No power play practice?

He might have been right about the core being stale, but then anyone could've gotten that the core was stale. Even the so called analysts at CBC and TSN can say what Torts said. This guy was just bullshitting the whole time.

I would say that a lot of what transpired last season was his his fault....Even in his end of the year presser,he still seems oblivious to the fact that he was a big part of the problem.

By the end of January the players had already tuned him out....so had I.....What he had to say at the end of the train wreck had little consequence.

Everyone?

it was Torts all Torts man I am sure glad he is gone never should of been the coach..was not a fan before or after proof is in the pudding. See yah later Keenan oh I mean Torts.

Torts: Eddie played more games than he should have and isn't ready for it.

Benning: here's Miller, he's a proven starter and will help Lack until he's ready to become a starter.

yet he choose eddie over Louie when it was clear to everyone louie should have started then when lou was gone he refused to play the new guy.

torts was always right on his HINDSIGHT comments.

these changes were coming with or with out benning the best move linden has done is when he fired this egomaniac of a coach ...funny he didn't say that was coming.

tortarella = keenan I believe the owners hired tortrella as a scapegoat right from the get go in order to cleanse the team just as keenan was hired to cleanse the team in 1997 -98, make the un popular trades , or force people out keenan it was linden and bure , tortarella it was loungo and kesler , funny how history repeats it self ,

Hyperbole.

Compare Weise's linemates in Montreal to the ones here. He couldn't make up a good 4th line alone, with Dalpe/Schroeder (who shouldn't even be in the NHL yet), Sestito, or whoever else had to be rushed in due to injuries.

I'm still emo over losing Weise's hair. I don't really think last season is enough sample size to truly judge Torts.

Eddie isn't ready and played to many games?

But Torts plays him 17 games in a row and chooses him over Lou for the Heritage game?

If Torts was so great you would think one of the other teams who were looking for a new coach this year would of picked him up.

Oh no, never said he was great. Like JB said, I think the era for yelling coaches is done and teams won't be looking for them anymore cause they just don't seem to work anymore.

This was basically Torts last straw and he never made the most of it. Doubt he ever ever gets hired again. As for the Lu thing, yea that was retarded how he never played him. Have a feeling management told him because Lu got traded right after and not a coincidence in my eyes the timing of the benching considering it was the Heritage Classic.

Just saying his comments at the end of the year were spot on. He did a lot of good things and equally (if not, more) bad things but like his comments, it was due to a number of things. No depth = couldn't play a 4th line. Weise was good but other than that, there wasn't any supporting cast so couldn't trust that line. Injuries killed us Jan on and no depth = things just got worse.

Was a rollercoaster ride that was for sure but I like to say this is a blessing in disguise...just look at all the good that has come out of this. Wouldn't have happened had we not had this disastrous end to the season.

tortarella = keenan I believe the owners hired tortrella as a scapegoat right from the get go in order to cleanse the team just as keenan was hired to cleanse the team in 1997 -98, make the un popular trades , or force people out keenan it was linden and bure , tortarella it was loungo and kesler , funny how history repeats it self ,

I'm a little puzzled as to why ownership gave him a 5 year contract if he was always the fall guy?

It was Burke who traded Bure.

Yeah no nothing to lose when he walks away with 6 milion dollars for doing nothing..he was a complete moron..yah think he is still living in point roberts of course he is thats where he can keep his american &** .. He gets paid either way which shouldnt be he should have lost all of it cause he did not want to play the game whos the boss whiny Torts or Gillis and or the owner think about that ...

Honestly, what does that have to do with what I said. I literally care more about the well being of cockroaches then whether Aquaman has to pay Torts after being fired. It has nothing to do with the cap, it has nothing to do with me. I don't care where Torts lives, I don't care if he jumps a shark on skis in front the Reef Tavern while wearing Gene Kiniski's old wrestling tights. I think you may have replied to the wrong comment.

it was Torts all Torts man I am sure glad he is gone never should of been the coach..was not a fan before or after proof is in the pudding. See yah later Keenan oh I mean Torts.

Keenan's mistakes as a Canuck were made as GM. You can blame him for everything bad last season all you like, it still doesn't make it true. He certainly does deserve some blame though.

A good coach doesn't have one 'style'. Even if a good coach does have one 'style', he should be smart enough not to take a job where his 'style' doesn't fit. Likewise, management should be smart enough not to hire hire if he wanted to coach a 'style' that was counter to the players on the roster.

I don't agree with all the blame Torts has gotten. A lot of players simply sucked. After all the talk of how great of shape the twins were in, how Hamhuis was Olympic caliber, how Edler would "bounce back"... These guys under performed when time came to prove it.

Think Torts did really well with our younger players, Tanev and Kassian especially. Expecting big years from them.

The part that got to me was he said all this but never even had the team practice consistently, or at all.

Archived