The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three coaches now have given Kassian short looks at top-six minutes, what gives?

TheRussianRocket.

'Window closing' as Gillis traded highly marketable assets (Hodgson&Schneids) for prospects is a large issue with fans of the recent core of Canucks.

Kassian was a trade for the future and not one that many in Canucks nation felt was timely or appropriate.

Here's hoping the young man can recognise that consistency and effort combine for success.

2 games 1 goal +1

A bit premature for people to worry about consistency..I think that's his goal this year no?

Perhaps we should let the season play out and evaluate him after?

Just a thought

:)

Man it's like some people here are hoping Kassian fails. Same with our goalies.

It’s sad but so many people want our players and prospects to fail, they come to conclusion on a player and then hope for the worst.

Our fans flip flop every minute. It's like a 2 years old deciding if they like the toys or not.

Let’s do a quick rundown on this fans history with Kassian

Kassian gets traded for Hodgson

Fans cry for Gillis head and Kassian is immediately in the bad books.

Kassian’s first game he gets a goal and two assists

Fans change their mind Kassian is now the greatest thing to happen to Vancouver

Kassian has a slow remainder of the season

Fans cry once again calling him nothing more than a slow 4th line potential plug

Next season starts Kassian gets a look on the top line with the twins and lights it up, even knocks out Eager.

The legend of Kassian returns.

Kassian slows down the rest of the season in and out of the line up

Kassian now becomes a bum once again, never to amount to anything.

While Hogdson has a decent year offensively.

Fans cry for Gillis’ head once again. “Why’d you trade a super start for a 4th line plug”.

Kassian starts the next season off with tort slow.

Fans continue to cry. Even make threads about

Kassian has a good game against T.O

Kassian is soon to be a 1st line allstar

Kassian scores a goal

YAY….He’s better than Gretzky

Kassian takes a bad penalty

Light the pitch forks.

It’s sad but you can make the same case about a lot of the players/prospect on our team. Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Horvat are all yet to play more than 20 games (all still under the age of 22) and people already do that same thing. “He’s a bust…” “He’s a saviour” They will never amount to anything more than a 3rd liner.

People need to relax, let the kids develop and be happy for when things go well, even if you think canucks should have drafted/not traded for that player, it’s not reason to hold a grudge and put down any sort of success.

I have my thoughts on what I think, I would like MGMT to do, but that doesn’t mean I hope for the players that I want gone to suck. I still want them to do well, score, and help this team success from game to game. Cheer on our players, we all want the Canucks to win. Don’t we?

Be good if Stan Smyl could mentor Kassian one to one, connect to a player who was consistent and played with grit and heart, #12 The Steamer.

I wish Linden was still playing when he came over, they could have throw Kassian on his wing like they did with Kesler's incubation period. That made for a pretty seamless transition to the NHL.

The first bolded part automatically brings the most obvious of players to mind - the franchise brothers - but then you made the point I was intending to raise by contradicting yourself later on.

The middle bolded part is a myth that has been addressed a number of times on these boards - the myth of the Northwest Division. The Sedins and Canucks dominated every single division in hockey over those years - if you search or do your own homework, that's what you will find.

Daniel and Henrik are not great defensive players by anyone's standards. But they are our franchise players so they are really not expected to be. The trouble is that the guise of being great two way players to get opportunities only applies to young players apparently. Bieksa and Edler for exampe are terrible defensive players on the whole yet they still get both offensive and defensive big minutes. Other players who are not great defensive players never get offensive opportunities until they do. That is the biggest trouble with this team over the past 7 or 8 years. The double standard for young players. It is also the reason that people have to point to our now aging core to find most examples of players the Canucks have actually developed themselves. Other than Tanev we have not really developed anyone worth talking about. And a big reason for that is trying to completely change their game to be two players before letting them do what got them drafted in the first place in many cases.

Being in the tremendously weak Northwest Division certainly helped our team. Anyone suggesting it did not is simply revising history. Look at the number of games played against all divisions during that time compared to against the Northwest. Without such a weak division there is zero chance the Canucks would have won any President's trophies.

It's also not a coincidence that when they made it to the postseason (where there were no other Northwest teams to play against) they miraculously struggled time after time. People forget just how much of a night and day scenario it was for the Canucks between regular season success and playoff failure. Even the year of the cup run they were an overtime goal away from giving up a 3-0 series lead. Then they met a completely weak Nashville team and the Sharks who have as long a history of playoff futility as the Canucks do. A pretty easy ride once getting past Chicago which almost didn't happen. Ironically had Luongo not stopped Sharp in OT (whose point blank chance was a result of our "excellent" defensive dmen scrambling like idiots around their own net) we likely would have seen some much bigger changes.

Getting to the cup final was awesome but it has only led to the status quo in terms of how players are valued in Vancouver. It is time for guys like Higgins to take a back seat as we struggle through some of the growing pains it takes to develop offensive players at the NHL level. That won't likely happen because Vancouver is like Toronto. They have to be competitive every year to appease the impatience of fans even if that leads to them not being cup competitive at the end of the day.

I think Vey has looked far more dangerous out there offensively than Kassian has. Personally I think his offensive play has won him Kassians potential spot on the pp. But I'm willing to give Kassian a mulligan on the start to his season as he missed most of the preseason which has him a little behind others on the team. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Vey and Kassian were both on the 2nd pp unit by seasons end.

I think part of that is also that Vey has been placed in much more advantageous offensive situations though too. I really like Vey and I like the opportunity he is being given. I would just rather see Kassian get a similar opportunity to do what he does best rather than be molded into a checker. If the choice this season is developing Kassian's offensive game and building his confidence or sticking with the safe choice in Higgins I would rather they take this season to see if Kassian can blossom. It will only help us going forward.

Kassian is a bust - that's the problem.

He's not a bust due to skillset - he's a bust because he hates hard work, and he parties FAR too much. Benning has proven before that he is willing to trade a player that isn't working hard. (see Seguin Trade) -

I expect a similar outcome for Kassian.

He's just a tougher repeat of Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier

You all need to quit making excuses, Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe all scored way more goals than Kassian did at the same age, he needs to step it up.

Great comparables. :picard:

Some of the best players ever who played in a different era with higher scoring and you want to even think about comparing them to Kassian?! C'mon...

Being in the tremendously weak Northwest Division certainly helped our team. Anyone suggesting it did not is simply revising history. Look at the number of games played against all divisions during that time compared to against the Northwest. Without such a weak division there is zero chance the Canucks would have won any President's trophies.

It's also not a coincidence that when they made it to the postseason (where there were no other Northwest teams to play against) they miraculously struggled time after time. People forget just how much of a night and day scenario it was for the Canucks between regular season success and playoff failure. Even the year of the cup run they were an overtime goal away from giving up a 3-0 series lead. Then they met a completely weak Nashville team and the Sharks who have as long a history of playoff futility as the Canucks do. A pretty easy ride once getting past Chicago which almost didn't happen. Ironically had Luongo not stopped Sharp in OT (whose point blank chance was a result of our "excellent" defensive dmen scrambling like idiots around their own net) we likely would have seen some much bigger changes.

But being in the same division also helped the Avalanch in the Sakic heyday yet it didn't mean they weren't a great team. Just because we had some easier opponents we still had a tonne of travel to get to them and even still we did very well against other divisions.

And as far as the playoffs, we generally lost to top teams. There's very little wrong with that, and the scenario you paint is hardly such a wide divide. There's no question we did better in the regular season - two President's Trophies but no Stanley Cups points to that - but that's more a testament to just how hard the Cup is to win, as well as how the game changes the minute the regular season ends.

Its sad but so many people want our players and prospects to fail, they come to conclusion on a player and then hope for the worst.

Our fans flip flop every minute. It's like a 2 years old deciding if they like the toys or not.

Lets do a quick rundown on this fans history with Kassian

Kassian gets traded for Hodgson

Fans cry for Gillis head and Kassian is immediately in the bad books.

Kassians first game he gets a goal and two assists

Fans change their mind Kassian is now the greatest thing to happen to Vancouver

Kassian has a slow remainder of the season

Fans cry once again calling him nothing more than a slow 4th line potential plug

Next season starts Kassian gets a look on the top line with the twins and lights it up, even knocks out Eager.

The legend of Kassian returns.

Kassian slows down the rest of the season in and out of the line up

Kassian now becomes a bum once again, never to amount to anything.

While Hogdson has a decent year offensively.

Fans cry for Gillis head once again. Whyd you trade a super start for a 4th line plug.

Kassian starts the next season off with tort slow.

Fans continue to cry. Even make threads about

Kassian has a good game against T.O

Kassian is soon to be a 1st line allstar

Kassian scores a goal

YAY.Hes better than Gretzky

Kassian takes a bad penalty

Light the pitch forks.

Its sad but you can make the same case about a lot of the players/prospect on our team. Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Horvat are all yet to play more than 20 games (all still under the age of 22) and people already do that same thing. Hes a bust Hes a saviour They will never amount to anything more than a 3rd liner.

People need to relax, let the kids develop and be happy for when things go well, even if you think canucks should have drafted/not traded for that player, its not reason to hold a grudge and put down any sort of success.

I have my thoughts on what I think, I would like MGMT to do, but that doesnt mean I hope for the players that I want gone to suck. I still want them to do well, score, and help this team success from game to game. Cheer on our players, we all want the Canucks to win. Dont we?

I can't speak for everyone but I don't want kass to fail, I'd like to see him pick up has game and be a factor on the team. There are so many clueless posters that feel he should be on the first line just because of who he was traded for that it brings out posters like me questioning if they are on crack, watching another player or or only watching his highlights.

The thing that concerns me and others that question him is that he's had the same problem for years and it's not getting better, he doesn't work had. He gets over that and we've got a player on our hands but will he?

I want to see the pressure turned up on him and put him in a position where he's got to take care of his business or get off the toilet. To me he's a player that needs to be challenged by the fans media and coaches to pick up his work ethic and do it fast.

His problem is not something you can attribute to being a rookie, rookies that come into the nhl for the most part do it because the have incredible drive and work ethic. Zack is another story he made it because everyone saw the great potential he had and were willing to take the chance and and the project on because of the strong upside if he gets over whatever is holding him back.

Zack can be and I'm sure everyone wants him to be a great player but because of the area that needs work moving him up the lineup would not be the right option. He needs to lean that it's hard work 100% of the time that gets rewarded and that's what he needs to do if he ever wants more then the third line. I feel he should have stayed in the minors till he showed a better work ethic but he was moved up faster then he should have been because MG need zack playing or the trade would look horid. Moving him up the lineup before he's ready would only continue his lackluster play in my mind.

Kass fans are so over sensitive that anyone that points this out is bashing him and all the coaches are out to get him because he's not on the first line. He's an intresting player because he's almost a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde player, he can look so good at times and so bad at others that he splits the fans almost like Lou did. Both sides of the topic have great and valid points but refuse to see the other side of the coin and a this point nobody knows if were going to get a Jekyll or a Hyde in the end.

Edit; sorry for the book. ;)

I can't speak for everyone but I don't want kass to fail, I'd like to see him pick up has game and be a factor on the team. There are so many clueless posters that feel he should be on the first line just because of who he was traded for that it brings out posters like me questioning if they are on crack, watching another player or or only watching his highlights.

The thing that concerns me and others that question him is that he's had the same problem for years and it's not getting better, he doesn't work had. He gets over that and we've got a player on our hands but will he?

I want to see the pressure turned up on him and put him in a position where he's got to take care of his business or get off the toilet. To me he's a player that needs to be challenged by the fans media and coaches to pick up his work ethic and do it fast.

His problem is not something you can attribute to being a rookie, rookies that come into the nhl for the most part do it because the have incredible drive and work ethic. Zack is another story he made it because everyone saw the great potential he had and were willing to take the chance and and the project on because of the strong upside if he gets over whatever is holding him back.

Zack can be and I'm sure everyone wants him to be a great player but because of the area that needs work moving him up the lineup would not be the right option. He needs to lean that it's hard work 100% of the time that gets rewarded and that's what he needs to do if he ever wants more then the third line. I feel he should have stayed in the minors till he showed a better work ethic but he was moved up faster then he should have been because MG need zack playing or the trade would look horid. Moving him up the lineup before he's ready would only continue his lackluster play in my mind.

Kass fans are so over sensitive that anyone that points this out is bashing him and all the coaches are out to get him because he's not on the first line. He's an intresting player because he's almost a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde player, he can look so good at times and so bad at others that he splits the fans almost like Lou did. Both sides of the topic have great and valid points but refuse to see the other side of the coin and a this point nobody knows if were going to get a Jekyll or a Hyde in the end.

Edit; sorry for the book. ;)

you don't think a 20 goal pace is acceptable for a 23 year old fwd getting 3rd and 4th line mins. Bottom line is that you have repeatedly been shown facts and figures that expose your blind dislike for Kassian, yet you still spew the same diatribe over and over. He's been the most productive fwd not named Sedin over the last 30 games.

I'm pretty happy with that

you don't think a 20 goal pace is acceptable for a 23 year old fwd getting 3rd and 4th line mins. Bottom line is that you have repeatedly been shown facts and figures that expose your blind dislike for Kassian, yet you still spew the same diatribe over and over. He's been the most productive fwd not named Sedin over the last 30 games.

I'm pretty happy with that

And your right but he's also been the player that's looked the most lost and uninterested and lazy at the same time, this is what fules all the kass talk. I don't think you read a word of that I posted, you just felt the need to reply?

Edit; I can understand it was a bit of a book I may have skipped over parts as well.

1.A bit premature for people to worry about consistency..

2.Perhaps we should let the season play out and evaluate him after?

1. Hardly. Lack of consistency is his trademark.

2. Upon arrival he was sold to fans as 'playoff ready' by Gillis.This is now year 3 of his 'evaluation'.

"Kassian was a trade for the future and not one that many in Canucks nation felt was timely or appropriate."

Kassian is a bust - that's the problem.

He's not a bust due to skillset - he's a bust because he hates hard work, and he parties FAR too much. Benning has proven before that he is willing to trade a player that isn't working hard. (see Seguin Trade) -

I expect a similar outcome for Kassian.

He's just a tougher repeat of Taylor Pyatt and Steve Bernier

Partied 2 years ago was sent down for it, give us some samples from his partying since. Er no you can't. The last 30 games give or take he has been one of our most consistent forward and arguably our most durable player.

Archived