The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Three coaches now have given Kassian short looks at top-six minutes, what gives?

TheRussianRocket.

Partied 2 years ago was sent down for it, give us some samples from his partying since. Er no you can't. The last 30 games give or take he has been one of our most consistent forward and arguably our most durable player.

This is just not true unless your looking at stats only, his play is inconsistent shift to shift and game by game. This is what makes him inconsistent, shows ability then shows nothing. It's motivation.

Like many of you, I'm hoping Kassian turns out to be another Bertuzzi. But it's interesting to note that Bertuzzi didn't have his breakout season (25G, 25A) with the Canucks until his 5th full NHL season, at the age of 24. Zack is only into his 2nd full season at age 23. So it's ridiculous the way some of you have already written him off as a bust. Give the guy some time and experience... and patience... and he'll be fine.

Zack is only into his 2nd full season at age 23.

So it's ridiculous the way some of you have already written him off as a bust.

Give the guy some time and experience... and patience... and he'll be fine.

24 in a couple of months and in his third ,full NHL campaign (lockout year inc.) /fourth season.

He's hardly a bust but he was a long-term project sold as immediate help when it was an absolute necessity.

Some fans do not understand that Kass is the focal point of Gillis mismanagement.

Like many of you, I'm hoping Kassian turns out to be another Bertuzzi. But it's interesting to note that Bertuzzi didn't have his breakout season (25G, 25A) with the Canucks until his 5th full NHL season, at the age of 24. Zack is only into his 2nd full season at age 23. So it's ridiculous the way some of you have already written him off as a bust. Give the guy some time and experience... and patience... and he'll be fine.

24 in a couple of months and in his third ,full NHL campaign (lockout year inc.) /fourth season.

He's hardly a bust but he was a long-term project sold as immediate help when it was an absolute necessity.

Some fans do not understand that Kass is the focal point of Gillis mismanagement.

Well, let's look at his four seasons:

2011-2012, played in Rochester and Buffalo before his 17 games with the Canucks

2012-2013, played 39 of 48 games in a shortened lockout season (less than half a normal season)

2013-2014, full season with Canucks

current season, 3 games

So as I said, this is only his second FULL season, and expectations have to be realistic for such a player.

And, going back to my original point comparing Kassian with Bertuzzi ...

Bertuzzi had 4 full seasons in the NHL before he broke out in 1999-2000. He was 25 when he achieved 25G, 25A.

I believe Kassian is capable of following Bertuzzi's path. One year of experience can make a huge difference in his game. I feel he will become an impact player next season if not this year.

You all need to quit making excuses, Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe all scored way more goals than Kassian did at the same age, he needs to step it up.

Great comparables. :picard:

Some of the best players ever who played in a different era with higher scoring and you want to even think about comparing them to Kassian?! C'mon...

Hyperbole maybe?

I thought he played real well until he got burned for that penalty on Draisaitl. He seems out of place on that third line and he isn't great at anticipating and taking advantage of the room that is in front of him some times. Most times he stops moving his feet and tries to slow the play down when he has an ample amount of room in front of him to drive in and create a more dangerous play. He almost seems like he's hesitant at times to take it to the net himself, even though he has a clear lane to do so. I'm still very high on Kassian, I just feel the Canucks rushed him big time and he would have been better served being the go to guy on the AHL farm team. He will eventually get it consistently, but it'll take time and a bit more patience. I don't think he will become the player that we all hoped for this season, but he'll be well on his way.

Well, let's look at his four seasons:

2011-2012, played in Rochester and Buffalo before his 17 games with the Canucks

2012-2013, played 39 of 48 games in a shortened lockout season (less than half a normal season)

2013-2014, full season with Canucks

So as I said, this is only his second FULL season, and expectations have to be realistic for such a player.

The young man was a #13 overall pick 6 years ago.He is hardly overachieving.

Ray Ferrarro talked about Kassian today on the pre-game show.

He stated he is not using his size or skills in an effective manner worthy of a top six role in the NHL.

Ray compared him to other talented NHL'ers that gave half efforts in both games and practises.

Kassian played 44 games between the Sabres and Canucks in his first NHL campaign.

He played the full lockout season minus a few games due to injury.Full season #1.

Played another full season last year. Full season #2.

Kass will have 3.5 NHL seasons under his belt at the culmination of this season.

Time to call it like it is instead of offering excuses.

Ferraro did today and Ray was 5'10" tall with 1258 regular season NHL games/898 pts.on his resume'.

He stated he is not using his size or skills in an effective manner worthy of a top six role in the NHL.

Ray compared him to other talented NHL'ers that gave half efforts in both games and practises.

Kassian played 44 games between the Sabres and Canucks in his first NHL campaign.

He played the full lockout season minus a few games due to injury.Full season #1.

Kass will have 3.5 NHL seasons under his belt at the culmination of this season.

Ferraro did today and Ray was 5'10" tall with 1258 regular season NHL games/898 pts.on his resume'.

I like Ferraro a lot but it's extremely obvious when he is talking about certain teams/players he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. He was on the radio the other day giving his insight as to what is wrong with the oilers and how their current way of building a team is extremely flawed...The Funny part is, just a couple years ago he was preaching how it was necessary for the oilers to be medicore and in two years their fans would be grateful for it and they'd be on the rise. Kassian's problems are far from being too physical. I watch Kassian closely a lot and feel he almost tries to be too physical. He seeks out hits even though they have the potential to be late and you can tell watching him without the puck that he's conscious about constantly finishing his check.

His problem isn't his willingness to finish checks at all. He still seems to be struggling with the role he's playing and what his coaches want from him. There were numerous times where Kass looked confident with the puck and easily had the opportunity to skate a few steps in and either drive to the net or create an even more dangerous play than he did. He seems lost in my opinion and thinking way too much. He played similarily throughout last year until he said fuck it and let go and just started to play with his instincts. IMO, basically, he's trying to do too much and impress the coaching staff. He looks great in flashes, but he's trying too hard.

But being in the same division also helped the Avalanch in the Sakic heyday yet it didn't mean they weren't a great team. Just because we had some easier opponents we still had a tonne of travel to get to them and even still we did very well against other divisions.

And as far as the playoffs, we generally lost to top teams. There's very little wrong with that, and the scenario you paint is hardly such a wide divide. There's no question we did better in the regular season - two President's Trophies but no Stanley Cups points to that - but that's more a testament to just how hard the Cup is to win, as well as how the game changes the minute the regular season ends.

Concerning our less than stellar playoff history, it's not THAT we lost, it's HOW we lost that was always the concern to me. We didn't just lose to better teams. We got embarrassed routinely by teams that may have been better (although if we won the PT and it wasn't because we were in a weak ass division then doesn't that mean we were technically "the best" that season?)

The reality is that this team feasted on the Northwest Division's weakness for a long time in the regular season and all that really did was convince people they were better than they actually were or that the weaknesses that always seem to show up at playoff time are not really weaknesses.

The funniest thing to me is how anyone could look at our defence for several years now and suggest they are top of the league material or even good defensively. They are and have been hot and cold, hit and miss for a very long time now. Thankfully we had stellar goaltending for so long that took the brunt of the blame for what was actually terribly inconsistent defensive play for a long time.

Ray had 135 points after playing 159 NHL games while Zach has less than a third of that total.

Ray was 25 pounds lighter and six inches smaller.

He was also a fifth round/88th pick while Zach was near the top ten.

At this stage Zach can't hold a candle to Ferraro's personal/professional efforts and results.

It's very obvious to me that Ray is telling it like it is.

Ferraro also played in a time where it was a lot easier to put up points as a smaller player. Comparing one era to the other is apples to oranges.

Kassian has a total of 159 NHL games. About two full season's worth. But he has only actually played one full season. Calling the lockout year a full season is not really accurate. In development terms it is only a half season really.

I think Kassian needs to improve in a lot of areas but he is still relatively inexperienced at the NHL level. And he has had 3 coaches now in Vancouver alone. None have put in the time yet to find a way to unlock his potential.

Ray had 135 points after playing 159 NHL games while Zach has less than a third of that total.

Ray was 25 pounds lighter and six inches smaller.

He was also a fifth round/88th pick while Zach was near the top ten.

At this stage Zach can't hold a candle to Ferraro's personal/professional efforts and results.

It's very obvious to me that Ray is telling it like it is.

I know Ray Ferraro quite well. We are from the same hometown and I grew up with him. He would be the first to tell you that comparing his era to the current era is apples to oranges. Things are different for young players now. And he and Kassian are two completely different types of player.

Ray Ferraro is one of my favorite all time players and is a very knowledgeable hockey person (and a very nice person) for sure. But how many points he got is irrelevant to the discussion about Kassian's apparent lack of production. That is even without looking closer at the opportunities each had received in their first 159 games.

Ray Ferraro is one of my favorite all time players and is a very knowledgeable hockey person (and a very nice person) for sure. But how many points he got is irrelevant to the discussion about Kassian's apparent lack of production. That is even without looking closer at the opportunities each had received in their first 159 games.

Yeah,let's blame Ray and Zach's coaches and throw in the Sedins,while we're at it.

Time for Kassian to grow up and apply himself like a pro and a man.

Ray has eminent qualifications to tell it like it is.

I like Ferraro a lot but it's extremely obvious when he is talking about certain teams/players he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. He was on the radio the other day giving his insight as to what is wrong with the oilers and how their current way of building a team is extremely flawed...The Funny part is, just a couple years ago he was preaching how it was necessary for the oilers to be medicore and in two years their fans would be grateful for it and they'd be on the rise. Kassian's problems are far from being too physical. I watch Kassian closely a lot and feel he almost tries to be too physical. He seeks out hits even though they have the potential to be late and you can tell watching him without the puck that he's conscious about constantly finishing his check.

His problem isn't his willingness to finish checks at all. He still seems to be struggling with the role he's playing and what his coaches want from him. There were numerous times where Kass looked confident with the puck and easily had the opportunity to skate a few steps in and either drive to the net or create an even more dangerous play than he did. He seems lost in my opinion and thinking way too much. He played similarily throughout last year until he said frack it and let go and just started to play with his instincts. IMO, basically, he's trying to do too much and impress the coaching staff. He looks great in flashes, but he's trying too hard.

Great points. I noticed in when the goalie was pulled Kass hung back a bit on the for check and didn't put himself out of origin with finishing a check. He instead used his stick and broke up the play further up the ice. I love it when he hits but wonder if he is told to play like that all the time and he'd be more effective using his other skills. He seems reluctant to use his shit but it seems pretty powerful, scrivens bobbled it a few times tonight. He also looked great dropping that shoulder going down the wing. How would he go playing that high slot on the pp where vey plays?

Great points. I noticed in when the goalie was pulled Kass hung back a bit on the for check and didn't put himself out of origin with finishing a check. He instead used his stick and broke up the play further up the ice. I love it when he hits but wonder if he is told to play like that all the time and he'd be more effective using his other skills. He seems reluctant to use his crap but it seems pretty powerful, scrivens bobbled it a few times tonight. He also looked great dropping that shoulder going down the wing. How would he go playing that high slot on the pp where vey plays?

I doubt we will ever find out.

Kassian is more of a Chris Stewart than a Lucic. My family knows his barber...and the word is he spends his summers cruising the lake (Windsor) drinking beer, smoking and acting like a kid. And isn't all the bright either (nice way of saying slow).

This could be why he keeps getting chances and demoted. Don't think he should be on the second line anymore with all his chances, and a break-out is unlikely too. He has more chances than most would get because his size teases, ice time should be reserved to those who can use it more consistently and Kassian should start improving as a checker - that is his best chance to stay in this league or on the team even.

Kassian is more of a Chris Stewart than a Lucic. My family knows his barber...and the word is he spends his summers cruising the lake (Windsor) drinking beer, smoking and acting like a kid. And isn't all the bright either (nice way of saying slow).

This could be why he keeps getting chances and demoted. Don't think he should be on the second line anymore with all his chances, and a break-out is unlikely too. He has more chances than most would get because his size teases, ice time should be reserved to those who can use it more consistently and Kassian should start improving as a checker - that is his best chance to stay in this league or on the team even.

apparently you didnt watch his game last night

apparently you didnt hear what his trainer said about him

lol..go hate somewhere else man

so many angry little kids here just looking to vent their anger here by bitching about players because it stirs the pot and they get off by making others react...

oh that's right, that's called trolling

you know what i heard? my sister's friend's second cousin's brother's girlfriend's dance coach says you drink beer in the summer

shame on you for drinking bear in the summer...

Archived