The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Return of Garrison

v3n

Garrison has had one successful season in his career and a bunch of Meh seasons. So if Vey turns into a regular NHLer that can play top 9 I'll be happy with the move.

That said, I actually liked Garrison, hometown boy that wanted to be here. Hope the best for him in TB

One successful season? Would that be the one where he scored 33 points, or the other one where he scored 33 points?

Garrison was fine. The problem was we needed to spend more money up front, so one of the big ticket D-men had to go. Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler were all more established, and less likely to waive the NTC.

As for the return on Garrison, it wasn't just the 2nd that led to Vey. The money freed up on that deal allowed us to sign Vrbata. It was the kind of deal that helped both sides. And I appreciate that Garrison was willing to waive to allow it to happen.

I really don't see any reason why the fans would boo him. While he was not hugely impactful for our team while he was here, he didn't do anything to deserve booing. In fact, considering he supposedly didn't want to go, he was very gracious to waive his clause, and took the trade like a gentleman. For that, he should be applauded if nothing else.

Meh. Garrison seemed like a real nice guy, so it would kind of be like booing the Pope. The problem is...some nights Garrison played like the Pope. He wasn't a significant factor here.

I can think of a ton of reasons to boo the Pope.

Jason Garrison though? Not so much.

You can argue that all you want, but 4.6 million on the free agent market for a guy that scored 16 goals and 33 points in Florida is not market value - it's leaving some money on the table, particularly after Garrison had established himself as a shutdown defenseman, and added the two way upside when he got the opportunity. He didn't have a very good season and a half year here - and yet still lead the blueline with 33 points last year on a horribly struggling team. I'm not sure what folks think market value is in Vancouver, but their perception appears to be seriously skewed by the fact that Hamhuis is signed to so much less than his market value.

Garrison is a shutdown defenceman? IMHO, he was very underwhelming in his own end for a guy who is 6'2" 220 lbs. Far too often he was on the receiving end of hits and treated the puck like a slippery eel.

Sure he had that mammoth shot, but he lacked accuracy with it.

Saying that Garrison left money on the table is true. NHL caliber defencemen tend to go for more on average, and he was sought after during the off season in which the Canucks acquired him. Whether he's worth it? That remains to be seen.

Garrison is a shutdown defenceman? IMHO, he was very underwhelming in his own end for a guy who is 6'2" 220 lbs. Far too often he was on the receiving end of hits and treated the puck like a slippery eel.

Sure he had that mammoth shot, but he lacked accuracy with it.

Saying that Garrison left money on the table is true. NHL caliber defencemen tend to go for more on average, and he was sought after during the off season in which the Canucks acquired him. Whether he's worth it? That remains to be seen.

What I said was that he established himself as a shutdown defenseman in Florida. That was the role he played as a rookie, and he had absolutely outstanding underlying numbers his first two seasons there. He was considered their best defenseman on a blueline that featured Campbell - not by noobs - but by Florida's Litterbox Cats, a surprisingly adept hockey writing/analysis group for a place like Florida.

He played a dual role in his contract season and scored 16 goals in the process.

No, Garrison didn't look like a shutdown D last year but then again, he was playing in the midst of a fire drill. Hamhuis looked like a depth tweener under Tortorella and was treated like one for the first few months. Edler had a career bad year. Virtually the entire team with the exception of Richardson, Tanev and Kassian had career worst years. I'm not writing the guy off quite yet, and I'm not going to complain too much about what he brought her - a 33 point defenseman that plays average defense costs that kind of money. I mean hell, Jake Gardiner is making over 4 million, is a 30 point defensman, and is nowhere near the defensive presence that Garrison is.

i was happy when he was traded. slow didn't hit, couldn't hit the net from the point and an average passer, beaten to outside regularly.. like most have said it he got paid for one career year. he's a 4 or 5 d-man on his best days.

not worth booing or cheering.

Mg tried hitting the homerun the second time with a offensive D-man but failed. Why because jason garrison simply cannot play in the west he was a turn-over machine. When teams got to cycle the boards he lost his man or simply could not handle the play. One thing is for sure those who are saying garrison trade was bad, well we never know maybe garrison would of excelled in a system like willies.

Archived