The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Reinhart getting the "Grigorenko" treatment in Buffalo

From Nhl.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=32788&navid=nhl:topheads

Sounds like they are expecting Sam to be something he's not ready to become, seems very similar to the botched development of Grigorenko, who is still in the process of recovering from BUFF's impatience.

Doesn't sound like they were trying to give him a taste of NHL experience, It seems they expected him to be a top 6 center right away, and are now talking as if he is a slumping player they need to get going.

Opinions?

There's nothing wrong with sending a guy back to Juniors if he's not ready. Doesn't matter what spot he is picked at. Prime example is Edmonton and Nugent-Hopkins. Drafted 1st overall but was not physically ready for the NHL. Should have been sent back.

Reinhart is a great player. He will make it eventually.

If memory serves me, he isn't the fastest skater either.

Makes it very difficult to learn a game you can't keep up with.

Sounds like another year of Junior and then one with Rochester will be needed so he can figure out how to best use his skills at the NHL level.

By all reports he is a very smart kid, so I'm sure he will figure it out in time.

Just because he's a first overall pick doesn't mean he should be forced into the lineup right away.

Reinhart will be a good player if Buffalo is patient with him.

Just nit picking, but who was first overall?

Anyway; Totally agree. If he's not ready to make a contribution off to junior...

Is there anything stopping them from sending him to the SEL?

Players can mature at different speeds.

Grigorenko was picked ahead of Girgensons, but Girgensons has been able to stick with the big boys and is a decent young forward.

It's not always the team's fault, either. In the NHL, few players can rely on skill alone. Most have to commit to a certain lifestyle in order to succeed, and perhaps Grigorenko wasn't ready for that yet.

Anyway; Totally agree. If he's not ready to make a contribution off to junior...

Whoops meant to say top two pick.

Either way the hype is the same.

Hype shouldn't force management into bad decisions though. The Oilers have proven that time and time again.

?????

Yea, he's only eligible for NHL or OHL, I don't even think he can play in the NCAA because he has pro experience now...WTH would he ever even go to the SEL?

Glad we didn't trade up because he clearly sun't quite ready for the big show. Still will be a heck of a player, but expectations would have been extreme if we got him.

Benning was going for Ekblad,IMO.

Nucks need a franchise d man that can play now.

I suspect Benning will now package players and attain one through trade.

My personal belief is that most draft picks should finish their CHL or U.S College careers, then spend a minimum of one year in the AHL.

This is the Detroit model; and over the years, their prospects are almost always ready for the NHL by the time they are given the opportunity.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fans who are enthralled by "shiny new toys" and expect their team's draft picks to make the NHL roster right away. In some cases, this pressure causes some teams' management to rush their prospects and end up delaying or ruining their development.

The obvious case in point would be the Edmonton Oilers, who are continuing this developmental mismanagement with Leon Draisaitl.

There's nothing wrong with sending a guy back to Juniors if he's not ready. Doesn't matter what spot he is picked at. Prime example is Edmonton and Nugent-Hopkins. Drafted 1st overall but was not physically ready for the NHL. Should have been sent back.

Reinhart is a great player. He will make it eventually.

Nuge could have used another year of growing, so many injuries.

Couldn't believe it when he fought Hammer the other night, I was actually a little worried about him,

But I have great respect for him nonetheless,

My personal belief is that most draft picks should finish their CHL or U.S College careers, then spend a minimum of one year in the AHL.

This is the Detroit model; and over the years, their prospects are almost always ready for the NHL by the time they are given the opportunity.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fans who are enthralled by "shiny new toys" and expect their team's draft picks to make the NHL roster right away. In some cases, this pressure causes some teams' management to rush their prospects and end up delaying or ruining their development.

The obvious case in point would be the Edmonton Oilers, who are continuing this developmental mismanagement with Leon Draisaitl.

Draisaitl has not appeared to be a liability, which is much to his credit,

But it doesn't appear he's doing much offensively,

Any opinions on Drai's play so far?

Archived