The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Avs 7, Nucks 3

TheRussianRocket.

Is it just me or is the only thing between this team and becoming legitimate contenders winning way more damn faceoffs.

How ON EARTH are we doing so poorly in the faceoff dot? Especially the important ones. They've been losing them all.

Is it just me or is the only thing between this team and becoming legitimate contenders winning way more damn faceoffs.

How ON EARTH are we doing so poorly in the faceoff dot? Especially the important ones. They've been losing them all.

IMO, there's a lot more deficiencies than just failing on the faceoffs. This is an easy Canucks team to play against...offence has been good, but we give up way too many opportunities and we give opposing teams far too much time and space. The team has had a tough time containing the uber-skilled and fast guys (Stamkos and Duchene especially), and that's on the forwards for letting these guys enter the zone with speed and forcing the d-men to back off. Tanev looked brutal against some of Duchene's rushes, but he had no choice but to protect the ice behind him which inevitably creates big gaps in front of him, which talented guys can exploit with their speed and skill.

It seems to me that there has been a gross system's over-reaction to being too-defence minded as we were last season to being too-attack oriented, especially in the neutral zone. Canucks have been horrible with sticking with their men in this part of the ice (especially the twins who seem to get a free pass for their terrible play in the neutral zone when they don't have the puck).

Anyways, if the team is going to have problems, they may as well have them in the first 20 games. If the Canucks come out of the first turn playing slightly better than .500 hockey as they find their way with WD's system and taking on WD's attitudes, we should be fine and be contending for a playoff spot. Hopefully we aren't talking about all this stuff at the beginning of December.

Keep drinking the kool aid boys keep drinking the kool aid. The only real team they have beaten is St. Louis but like last year they keep losing to the teams they need to beat. The bottom line is this team is no longer a contender. If you like mediocrity that's great, keep living in the Canuck dream world.

Keep drinking the kool aid boys keep drinking the kool aid. The only real team they have beaten is St. Louis but like last year they keep losing to the teams they need to beat. The bottom line is this team is no longer a contender. If you like mediocrity that's great, keep living in the Canuck dream world.

SHH.gif

I'm saving you here.

Good to see you've jumped off the bandwagon..see ya..!

What a brutal game, Colorado controlled almost the entire game. I think part of it was a bad combo of some tough scheduling and the Avs being fired up to turn around their ugly start to the season.

Man that Duchene can fly, he looked like he had rocket skates on when he scored. I have to admit that was pretty sweet.

how many seasons ago was it that fat head gillis said manny couldnt play anymore? and right now hes a far better bottom 6 centre than richardson...

GMMG didn't say he couldn't play anymore from a skills perspective (although he was struggling at the time) but that he was at risk if he did. There's a big difference.

Guess you didn't get the memo...the team hasn't been a contender for two years and is currently in a state of transition. The best anyone around these parts are hoping for is a playoff entry as the eighth seed. The rest is optimism and some joy in Canuck-land after the car bomb of a season we just had in '13-'14 and in knowing there is no quit in this team.

If that's drinking the kool aid, give me more of it.

The irony is that if the Canucks did not dominate the Avs for so many years they probably would not have finished as low as they did in the standings and as a result would not have drafted the cream of the crop players that will inevitably grow into NHL stars. There was one year that the Canucks beat them all 8 times - that certainly had to contribute to their high draft position.

Its our turn to go through some dark times...hopefully Benning, Linden and co will be as smart as Avs management and collect bright young prospects along the way.

Have you watched Sbisa? This isn't an anomaly or a bad start. This is him. This is what you get. He didn't need a change in scenery to get going...he needs a brain transplant with someone who knows how to play defense. If we could only put Weaver's (I miss this little big man) brain in this body.

I see a new guy adjusting to a new team and a new system and no one giving him time to adjust.

The irony is that if the Canucks did not dominate the Avs for so many years they probably would not have finished as low as they did in the standings and as a result would not have drafted the cream of the crop players that will inevitably grow into NHL stars. There was one year that the Canucks beat them all 8 times - that certainly had to contribute to their high draft position.

Its our turn to go through some dark times...hopefully Benning, Linden and co will be as smart as Avs management and collect bright young prospects along the way.

When Joe Sacco was coaching the Av's,we were beating them like a drum..They've hit home runs with most of their picks (MacKinnon,O'Reilly,Duchene,Landeskog) and have an exciting future ahead....Benning is on the right path..IMO

7 games in, too early to get overly upset about a work in progress, except for the obvious fact that every point is critical. But lets face it, nobody expected this team to dominate after last years brutal results, but a repeat performance or worse is not likely.

So new management, new coach, new goalie and a number of new faces all collectively trying to find their way, means a bit of a rollercoaster ride this early, JB and co. are likely monitoring individual performances on a shift by shift basis.

We can already see more offense, even if secondary scoring is still a question mark, but the Tampa, Dallas an Colorado losses certainly expose our defense and to be fair the lack of forward support, with both goalies being left out to dry. this along with untimely penalties and faceoffs are an issues that can be improved on, ahead of pressing the panic button.

Still a big Kassian, fan but someone needs to get through to him before his trade value evaporates, he needs to have a break out season period. Sbisa needs to play with Stanton like Bieksa needs to play with Hamhuis. I like Weber but he doesn't play enough to generate any meaningful offense and his defensive short comings trump any limited offense, right now I'll take Corrado defensively even if he could use more seasoning. JB will probably make some moves before Christmas including bringing in a couple of kids from Utica.

Shaky, what is it about big and skilled forwards that make them such slow learners? Or the lack of motivation? Kassian, Sandlak, Sedlbauer, and even Bertuzzi. Only play to their abilities whenever they feel like it.

My only hope for Kassian is that he will, hopefully, one day play with the likes of Horvat, whose playing style and maturity will rub off on the big guy.

I dont know what the problem is with these guys..you would think motivation would come naturally but I guess not...I hope Kass gets it soon,,I really dont want to see him on another team and finally seeing the light...that would be painful.

So does that mean you will be leaving us soon? It sounds like you would be a better fit on a contending teams' board.

PS BS. Nobody around here thinks they are a contending team. Most realize that it will be a while before that happens.

Archived