The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is number 5 cursed?

HC20.0

For everyone ripping on Murzyn... don't say it because you didn't actually watch him play back then. Yes he was a slow skater but seldom did he leave himself in a position to get burned. He was tough as nails in front of the net and i can't think of one player who could out muscle him for position. No good for power play but on a penalty kill he was priceless.

Murzyn was great for us, a big mean crease clearing defensive D-man with great positioning.

Yes he wasn't the quickest guy out there but rarely beaten & the tandem of Murzyn & Lumme were one of the best shut down pairs in the league for several years. In his second season with Vancouver Murzyn was voted best defenseman by the fans & finished +34 (second behind Bure in +/-).

Great guy too and has more pictures of his Canucks days in his Calgary office than he does with the Flames, including the infamous pic of Gretzky punching him in the face.

I have no doubt that if murzyn hadn't hurt his knee in the second round we would have beat the Rangers. Bryan glynn came into the lineup for him and was a noticeable weak link.

Murzyn had many knee injuries over his career that slowed him down considerably. I think most just remember the end of his run when he was hobbled. Truth of the matter is Dana was originaly an offensive dman. He was drafted 5th overall in 1985 after scoring 32 goals, 92 points and 233 PIMs with Calgary in the WHL. He even put up 26 points in his rookie season. He adapted himself into a stay at home dman as his mobility went. The guy was a hell of a player and anyone that disputes that has tunnel vision.

Sbisa apart from 1 game has played in varying degrees from decent to pretty well. I think the guy has a big future with us as he matures.

It never ceases to amaze me how Kassian (drafted 13th o/a) can play like a blind donkey on most nights and we get constant streams of excuses and get told he's only 23 (24 Jan)

Yet Sbisa who was drafted 19th o/a is only a year older and plays pretty well, in a much harder roll, gets garbaged on here despite being new to the team this season.

Sbisa apart from 1 game has played in varying degrees from decent to pretty well. I think the guy has a big future with us as he matures.

It never ceases to amaze me how Kassian (drafted 13th o/a) can play like a blind donkey on most nights and we get constant streams of excuses and get told he's only 23 (24 Jan)

Yet Sbisa who was drafted 19th o/a is only a year older and plays pretty well, in a much harder roll, gets garbaged on here despite being new to the team this season.

I wonder about some people's actual understanding and knowledge of hockey if they look at sbisa's regular season play so far on a whole and say he has been abysmal. He had a couple of really bad games but has also had a couple of really strong games overall.

Weber on the other hand has not looked very good defensively so far. Benning get on the phone and get us a better depth d option for when stanton is out please.

For everyone ripping on Murzyn... don't say it because you didn't actually watch him play back then. Yes he was a slow skater but seldom did he leave himself in a position to get burned. He was tough as nails in front of the net and i can't think of one player who could out muscle him for position. No good for power play but on a penalty kill he was priceless.

And whenever Lindros, LeClair, Neely, Tkachuk, Roberts or Shanahan came to town, guess who usually got the assignment?

That guy played some seriously hard minutes for the Canucks, retired as a Canuck 15 years ago and some 'bags still feel the need to dump on him because he wasn't Bobby Orr. Oh well, eff 'em.

Are you sure it was the 2nd round? I guess it's been 20 years now but I could have sworn Glynn was in the lineup in game 1 vs. Dallas.

You are right he only played 7 games. Was the flames series that did him in. I meant to say he was out for the 2nd not hurt in the 2nd. Good memory

Archived