The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Canuck Malhotra shoots to the top of the NHL's faceoff ranks

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=10336497

Many have doubted Manny Malhotra since the horrific eye injury he suffered in March of 2011, just as the Canucks were on the threshold of what appeared to be a golden run to the Stanley Cup.

They certainly thought he was through when former Canucks GM Mike Gillis shut him down after just nine games at the start of the lockout season in 2013 because he believed Malhotra was at risk due to the reduced vision in his injured eye. There was scoffing when he announced he would try to resume his NHL career in the summer of that year.

He had no takers in free agency certainly the stigma from being shut down for safety reasons by the Canucks didnt help and he had to prove himself by signing a tryout contract with AHL Charlotte, subsequently getting an NHL deal with Carolina later last season. Well, the Hurricanes were just a bad team.

Now that Malhotra is an integral part of a Montreal Canadiens club that is tied for top spot in the NHL after 10 games and looks like it might do something special this year, its pretty hard to pin any asterisks on him.

For me, its never been about proving anything to anybody, except to myself, Malhotra told The Province on Wednesday as he and most of his Montreal teammates took a day off before playing the Canucks on Thursday at Rogers Arena.

I wanted to prove I could resume my career. I was grateful for the opportunity I was given in Carolina. Now, well its always fun to be on a good team and have a chance to win.

Malhotra, 34, has assumed a role with Montreal that is similar to what he played on the 2010-11 Canucks at team that was unquestionably the greatest in franchise history.

He kills penalties and centres a bottom six line. But the key part of the job description is being a gunslinger in the faceoff circle. Hes currently ranked No. 1 in the NHL, at a ridiculous 63.6 per cent win rate, and takes most of the teams important faceoffs. Thats helped vault the Habs from 17th overall last season in that category to fifth.

You may have noticed the Canucks are going in the other direction 10th last season to a dismal 28th currently in the circle. Malhotras agent who spoke to a number of teams put out a feeler to the Canucks new management last summer in the window before free agency opened on July 1, but nothing came of it. Evidently, Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and coach Michel Therrien saw a better fit.

Much like the impact Malhotra had in Vancouver that first season, when he took some of the defensive responsibilities off Ryan Kesler, hes doing the same for Canadiens centre Tomas Plekanec. Kesler, you may recall, had his best-ever offensive season that year, and Plekanec is off to a great start five goals and nine points in his first 10 games.

It gives Plekie a little break, said Montreal winger Rene Bourque. He doesnt have to be out there all the time for those defensive zone faceoffs. (Malhotra) goes out there with other lines, takes a faceoff and comes off. Its nice to know youre going to get the puck most times. If you dont win a draw, youre chasing the puck.

Weve never really had a fourth- line centre we could rely on the last couple of years and hes kind of like the glue there right now. Its great to be able to rely on him.

Malhotra, who took 75 per cent of his even-strength faceoffs in the defensive zone for the Canucks in the 2010-11, is taking his usual team-high (78.1 per cent) in Montreal.

I think (Plekanec) is just improving at what hes doing and hes taking his leadership to the next level, said Malhotra, who signed a one-year deal for $850,000 with Montreal.

Malhotra spoke with a number of teams, but decided on the Canadiens after discussions with Bergevin and, particularly, Therrien.

When we looked at our options, the experience of playing in a Canadian city again and especially with the history of Montreal and just how crazy their fans are was really attractive, said Malhotra. When Therrien and I talked, it was about a role, both on and off the ice. I knew what I was walking into and I could take ownership of.

As his Canucks teammates will remember, a lot of what Malhotra brings is off the ice as well.

Right away, you notice hes a presence in the dressing room, said young Habs D-man Nathan Beaulieu. Hes one of the first guys to speak up between periods. Hes very passionate about the game. Hes an important piece of this club.

And Malhotra is also enjoying the off-ice part in Montreal. His mother is French Canadian, so he is bilingual.

I have some aunts and cousins and other relations in Montreal, he said. The kids (he and wife Joann have three young boys) are picking (French) up quickly. Its a lot of fun.

So happy for Manny that he's rebounded from that career threatening freak injury. Such a quality player and even greater person.

I remember when we let him go, it was tough day for all. Canucks were in a cap crunch, Manny had lost a step and doctors advised our management (MG) and they took appropriate action. One of my favourite Gillis additions. Canucks just didn't want to take the risk of dealing with a career ending injury and thought it would be best to let him go. Obviously Manny being such a great guy he battled back and is at the top of the league. Pretty ironic considering we are the worst team in that category (well, ahead of Buffalo if you consider them a team) at 45% and Manny is has found a way to comeback.

Will be great seeing him back tonight and I'm jealous of Montreal fans...they really have a character player in Malhotra. ...Hansen-Malhotra-Torres, what once was the best 3rd line in the game. Least we forget : D

Gillis made crap up to deal with his cap mismanagement. $8.4m in benched ballard and booth.

If you still believe that now, there's no way the truth will change your mind.

But glad to see Manny back and doing well. I hope it stays that way and he doesn't have anything happen because of his reduced eyesight.

Archived