The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van - NJD (Proposal)

Vancouver: Adam Larsson

NJD: Jacob Markstrom, Zack Kassian, Conditional 3rd 2016(If Markstrom plays less than 12 games in 2015-16)

Markstrom, Lack, or Miller will have to be traded, because Markstrom will have to clear waivers next year.

but that wont happen.

Larsson hasn't proved much in 4 years.

Larsson, highly touted, out shined by 2 year younger, second round pick Damion Severson

WIth Horvat up, need for Kassian is diminished

And Jensen n Shinky can fix any injury problems.

Sedin's Vrb

Higs Bonino Vey

Burr Horvat Richardson

Dorsett Matthias Hansen

SCRATCH WEBER

Hamhuis Larsson

Edler Tanev

Stanton Bieksa

what should a trade for larsson look like?

In all honesty, I've seen very little of this guy; yet from all reports, he hasn't come close to expectations.

I would widen the range of targets, & wait to see if the price falls on any of them. A team like NYI might start to get desperate(as they dealt their 2015 pick), & package a young D-stud for the right mix.

& Kassian would be kept in Van, as a key piece for our future.

That's a good question, and one I asked in a different thread a few days ago. No one had an answer for me.

The truth is, you would have to be working in an NHL front office to be able to accurately asses Larssonn's value to NJ. Beyond that you would probably need Devils inside info, to even guess where they are at with this guy.

That having been said it's fun to try and guess,

I think Kassian is waay too much to give up for an unproven, underachieving (No matter who's fault that is) but highly drafted prospect.

I would offer Lamarillo, Matthias and a 2nd in 2016, I would also see if he placed any value on Sbisa. If he did, I would probably work the deal around that.

NJ has handled this situation horribly, publicly shaming a top prospect, to the point where is considering returning to the SEL, only drives down his value.

Kassian IS an NHL player, Larrsonn hasn't proven that he can stick in this league yet, and has been devalued by his drafting club, that is an overpayment in my book, because whose to say Larsonn isn't as bad as NJ seems to think he is.

Stanton Mallet and a 2016 3rd round pick.

Seriously, Larsson is being shown to not be working out in NJ.

People need to understand that the value for him isn't there. Gormley as week in Phoenix for some reason is being spoken of as moving on soon.

Either of them could be had fairly reasonably. In Larssons case he's not been playing much or even well. So I just don't see the value being there.

Larsson's stock isn't exactly rising right now. He's essentially NJ's #7 defenceman, and a RFA at the end of the season.

I wouldn't give Kassian for him even up. Perhaps Jensen or Lack or Markstrom plus Corrado or Weber is imo closer to the mark, though I doubt NJ is looking to move him for that. (That's nothing against the Canucks players mentioned-but I suspect if NJ doesn't want a goalie back, then they'll want a good forward prospect.)

Of course, as noted by terrible we can't know what it would take to get Larsson, just speculate.

How old is Larsson? 22? 21? Honestly; it is probably too early for them to give up on him. Unless they really want to fill other holes.

Look; I probably keep Kassian at this stage. He has not bust out. But he's a productive useful player. Nor are we loaded with a similar prospect to take his place. Jensen has more upside but does not really bring the power in PF. I would have a hard time taking an established young player out of our line up for a prospect.

I look at a package from depth. We are much stronger in centre ice prospects than at PF. I would look at say Gaunce and then a more junior PMD prospect to replace Larsson in their depth chart ? Ben Hutton.

If they insist on a winger, which does look like a need for them, I look at Jensen and Hutton.

In all honesty, I've seen very little of this guy; yet from all reports, he hasn't come close to expectations.

I would widen the range of targets, & wait to see if the price falls on any of them. A team like NYI might start to get desperate(as they dealt their 2015 pick), & package a young D-stud for the right mix.

& Kassian would be kept in Van, as a key piece for our future.

NYI just loaded up with Boychuck and Leddy. They are no longer desperate. Also retained Reinhart and Pulock so good for the future. But I suppose the concept could remain the same with an alternate team.

They paid B PMD prospect TJ Brennan (undersized AHL scoring whiz if I remember his profile correct and the primary cost was A class PMD prospect, but not NHL ready, Ville Pokka. I think there was a depth goalie as well. Two prospects was not a big cost but CHI was under the pump cap wise. Plus Leddy is reported as one dimensional and a bit of a liability even though he is also a talent and puts up points. So I have sort of used the one B, and one A prospect formula above. ^^

How old is Larsson? 22? 21? Honestly; it is probably too early for them to give up on him. Unless they really want to fill other holes.

Look; I probably keep Kassian at this stage. He has not bust out. But he's a productive useful player. Nor are we loaded with a similar prospect to take his place. Jensen has more upside but does not really bring the power in PF. I would have a hard time taking an established young player out of our line up for a prospect.

I look at a package from depth. We are much stronger in centre ice prospects than at PF. I would look at say Gaunce and then a more junior PMD prospect to replace Larsson in their depth chart ? Ben Hutton.

If they insist on a winger, which does look like a need for them, I look at Jensen and Hutton.

NYI just loaded up with Boychuck and Leddy. They are no longer desperate. Also retained Reinhart and Pulock so good for the future. But I suppose the concept could remain the same with an alternate team.

They paid B PMD prospect TJ Brennan (undersized AHL scoring whiz if I remember his profile correct and the primary cost was A class PMD prospect, but not NHL ready, Ville Pokka. I think there was a depth goalie as well. Two prospects was not a big cost but CHI was under the pump cap wise. Plus Leddy is reported as one dimensional and a bit of a liability even though he is also a talent and puts up points. So I have sort of used the one B, and one A prospect formula above. ^^

I see this as being a bit too rich considering that Larsson could still bolt back to Sweden even if the Devils traded him. Or, he could decide that he wants to stay in the NHL but he doesn't like it in Vancouver (despite all the Swedish or Euro players, assuming that made a difference to him). What might the Canucks be able to get for a young, high potential/low result d-man prospect? Could they get something at least equal to Gaunce or Jensen?

Stanton Mallet and a 2016 3rd round pick.

Seriously, Larsson is being shown to not be working out in NJ.

People need to understand that the value for him isn't there. Gormley as week in Phoenix for some reason is being spoken of as moving on soon.

Either of them could be had fairly reasonably. In Larssons case he's not been playing much or even well. So I just don't see the value being there.

I don't mind this proposal, although I would miss Stanton.

Because of the possibility of Larsson making a run for it, I might be inclined to put a rider on the deal that if he doesn't re-sign then the pick goes back to the Canucks.

regards,

G.

Larsson's stock isn't exactly rising right now. He's essentially NJ's #7 defenceman, and a RFA at the end of the season.

I wouldn't give Kassian for him even up. Perhaps Jensen or Lack or Markstrom plus Corrado or Weber is imo closer to the mark, though I doubt NJ is looking to move him for that. (That's nothing against the Canucks players mentioned-but I suspect if NJ doesn't want a goalie back, then they'll want a good forward prospect.)

Of course, as noted by terrible we can't know what it would take to get Larsson, just speculate.

Jensen or Markstrom I would do,

I don't see Jensen as having much of a future here, but in NJ? Who knows?

It's a 1st rounder that we don't have room for for a 1st rounder that they don't want.

I see this as being a bit too rich considering that Larsson could still bolt back to Sweden even if the Devils traded him. Or, he could decide that he wants to stay in the NHL but he doesn't like it in Vancouver (despite all the Swedish or Euro players, assuming that made a difference to him). What might the Canucks be able to get for a young, high potential/low result d-man prospect? Could they get something at least equal to Gaunce or Jensen?

Because of the possibility of Larsson making a run for it, I might be inclined to put a rider on the deal that if he doesn't re-sign then the pick goes back to the Canucks.

regards,

G.

Yeah, I don't think I would give them Stanton,

He's proved himself with us, Larson hasn't proved anything

Why would Larsson could back to Sweden? To play in the SHL? How many players at Larsson's age went back to the SHL? None because Sweden isn't Russia and the SHL isn't the KHL, there is no upside to playing in the SHL when you could be in the NHL. At least in Russia you could be a mediocre player and still get a fat paycheck from some KHL team. This whole idea that Larsson would go back to the SHL is absurd. Its almost as absurd as a NHL player willingly leaving the NHL to go play in the AHL.

I would think if you had a prospect like Larsson you would put him in the situation that allows him to develop into a NHL player. He was drafted 4th overall and is still very young in dman years. Unless I get something substantial for him I would refuse to deal him. I would allow him the time to sink or swim so to speak, if he busts then he joins the number of players before him that could not translate their play to the NHL. What I won't do is trade him for some mediocre prospect or a bottom 6 player and a 2nd round draft pick because the upside to that is nothing close to the upside of Larsson. I suppose if I did feel that he would not amount to much I would look to deal him for a player with equal upside but who is also struggling to put it together similar to the Luke Schenn for James VanReimsdyk deal.

That's a good question, and one I asked in a different thread a few days ago. No one had an answer for me.

The truth is, you would have to be working in an NHL front office to be able to accurately asses Larssonn's value to NJ. Beyond that you would probably need Devils inside info, to even guess where they are at with this guy.

That having been said it's fun to try and guess,

I think Kassian is waay too much to give up for an unproven, underachieving (No matter who's fault that is) but highly drafted prospect.

I would offer Lamarillo, Matthias and a 2nd in 2016, I would also see if he placed any value on Sbisa. If he did, I would probably work the deal around that.

NJ has handled this situation horribly, publicly shaming a top prospect, to the point where is considering returning to the SEL, only drives down his value.

Kassian IS an NHL player, Larrsonn hasn't proven that he can stick in this league yet, and has been devalued by his drafting club, that is an overpayment in my book, because whose to say Larsonn isn't as bad as NJ seems to think he is.

I think his value is much higher than he's worth/playing at this moment. Gaunce might be enough (with a 2nd/3rd pick), as they could use a young forward prospect.

regards,

G.

Larsson would be behind Edler and the twins plus Forsling Cederholm etc. While the canucks are much maligned in the NHL circles we are very loved in Sweden.

Larsson would most likely sign whatever contract Benning threw at him.

Why would Larsson could back to Sweden? To play in the SHL? How many players at Larsson's age went back to the SHL? None because Sweden isn't Russia and the SHL isn't the KHL, there is no upside to playing in the SHL when you could be in the NHL. At least in Russia you could be a mediocre player and still get a fat paycheck from some KHL team. This whole idea that Larsson would go back to the SHL is absurd. Its almost as absurd as a NHL player willingly leaving the NHL to go play in the AHL.

I would think if you had a prospect like Larsson you would put him in the situation that allows him to develop into a NHL player. He was drafted 4th overall and is still very young in dman years. Unless I get something substantial for him I would refuse to deal him. I would allow him the time to sink or swim so to speak, if he busts then he joins the number of players before him that could not translate their play to the NHL. What I won't do is trade him for some mediocre prospect or a bottom 6 player and a 2nd round draft pick because the upside to that is nothing close to the upside of Larsson. I suppose if I did feel that he would not amount to much I would look to deal him for a player with equal upside but who is also struggling to put it together similar to the Luke Schenn for James VanReimsdyk deal.

While I agree with this, the reason I suggest a package of Stanton Mallett and the 3rd in 2016 is that it gives the NJD a solid + player D man to utilize immediately, Mallett gives them a gritty snub nosed C of the type they for some reason don't have in their system and we all know the the Devils do with their picks, they're as lucky as the Wings.

It isn't about giving them max value as getting a former 4th overall pick for anything short of a former top 10 pick + would be seemingly underpaying.

BUT! The Devils are playing to compete now and the addition of a smooth skating grittier (than Larsson) body on the blue line in Stanton gives them depth that they can use instead of waste in the press box.

I just don't see that value in Larsson from the NJD's camp because they've basically benched him or used him poorly and as such it's evident he needs a new start.

I would still then target Gormley in Phoenix. Getting both of them would basically give the Canucks a solid boost to the blue line depth that they haven't had in years.

Archived