The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]----Canucks looking to trade Matthias

ShakyWalton

Yeah he really is an important piece to our line up this year. Top PK center, Unfortunatly next year I have a hard time seeing him resigned. Bo will then have another year and will likely become the teams 3c and top defensive forwards (if he can keep up with the way he's been winning draws) We also have a boat load of centers coming up that will be fighting for his spot. Even though we may lose him to UFA, I still think he has more value to the team this year than in any return we'd get back for him. So in my mind he's a canuck for the remainder of the year. Unless he is part of a bigger package anyways.

This is my exact sentiment. I don't mind losing a guy like Richardson or Matthias to UFA market this year if it means that we can get a playoff series win. We haven't won a playoff series since San Jose in 2011. Yeah. Keeping both guys and losing them via UFA would be better if we can get a playoff series win with them than getting a couple mid-round picks for them at the deadline and making an early 1st round exit.

And it's not like we don't have the depth to address the holes - Jensen sniffing at a top 9 role, Horvat will be pushing for Richardson's spot, Cassels will be turning pro, Shinkaruk and Gaunce will have a year of pro season under their belts, and so on. Further, we could add depth players via UFA too - if we win a playoff round and prove that we are committed to winning, it would go a long way to turning the franchise's image back around to being a destination hockey city.

I just don't see it honestly, A one year deal would be preferred but I would assume Richie would want more comitment, Horvat will no doubt have the 3c locked up and then we have, Mccann, Cassels, Vey, Kenins, Gaunce and even newly acquired Acton all fighting for that final spot in the middle bottom 6 role.

I wouldn't mind signing Richardson to something in the 1.8-2.8 mil range for 3-4 years. Bo will be on his ELC for 2 of those years then he will be on a bridge contract, so we could afford to pay Richardson a little even if he ends up being the 4C because Bo overtakes him on the depth chart.

Doesn't sound like he wants to be going anywhere.

Some quotes from Matthias today:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Botchford+Desjardins+leading+Canucks/10426903/story.html

Glad to see he's having fun and getting results

Amazing. That's really great to see.

I'd still move him this season and thankfully due to his recent play, we'd get a better return.

No, having playoff success is way more valuable than whatever we can get in return for him as a rental player. If Matthias wasn't turning UFA, he'd have decent value but as a rental 3rd line player, whatever use we can get out of him in the playoffs towards a winning cause is greater than whatever mid-round draft pick we might be able to get in return.

haha yeah no kidding. now re-sign the guy JB. Richardson too :)

We still have lots of time.

I would wait until the season is over to assess how they do in the playoffs then make the decision.

No, having playoff success is way more valuable than whatever we can get in return for him as a rental player. If Matthias wasn't turning UFA, he'd have decent value but as a rental 3rd line player, whatever use we can get out of him in the playoffs towards a winning cause is greater than whatever mid-round draft pick we might be able to get in return.

I'd agree if we didn't have a log jam of bottom 9 forwards but we do.

And defensive depth, in particular of a higher ceiling variety, is just as if not more important in not only the playoffs but longer term.

It's better asset management no matter which way you slice it.

Richardson performed last year under Torts and is doing no less this year under WD. With better touch in front he could have another 5 goals. Great on the 'd' side and FO. Gives it ever shift. You don't blow that off as a UFA. JB trades him if it comes to that.

Matthias doesn't get the slack that maybe a Kassian does. He has been producing points big time and prior to the point production his line with Richardson and Kassian were generating big 'o' zone TOI with a punishing forecheck. Very apparent that Matthias has reacted well to the new coaching. He isn't going anywhere.

I'd agree if we didn't have a log jam of bottom 9 forwards but we do.

And defensive depth, in particular of a higher ceiling variety, is just as if not more important in not only the playoffs but longer term.

It's better asset management no matter which way you slice it.

What log jam?

I see only Jensen knocking on the door. As far as the others go, none are proven nor ready.

If you're suggesting that we make room for young players by moving veterans before they've even proven themselves, then that would not be good asset management.

We re-sign Matthias and Richardson and see if anyone can displace them. If yes, then we can trade them afterwards. You don't make room before you even know your young players can claim those spots.

What log jam?

I see only Jensen knocking on the door. As far as the others go, none are proven nor ready.

If you're suggesting that we make room for young players by moving veterans before they've even proven themselves, then that would not be good asset management.

We re-sign Matthias and Richardson and see if anyone can displace them. If yes, then we can trade them afterwards. You don't make room before you even know your young players can claim those spots.

Horvat already did that ;)

And I think people forget that Richardson is in his prime. next year and the one after where I think he will be at his strongest. Matthais is starting to come into his as well- only in his mid 20's!

So others will have to as well in the presence of veterans taking up roster spots = re-sign.

Too many bodies. For example it does Jensen little good right now other than being around/practicing with NHL'ers but otherwise sitting in the press box.

We have too many bottom 9 forwards right now let alone next fall with Jensen, Gaunce, Kenins, Zalewski, Shink etc possibly pushing for spots, And that's without any other trades or UFA's that we might also pick up.

SOMEBODY has to go. And they need to go for NHL ready D depth.

He suffers from Booth vision but at least he's capable of getting the puck in deep. Good fourth liner on a contender, and with the emergence of Horvats line I think that's exactly what he's been relegated to.

Matthias - Richardson - Tito/Kass

is a solid fourth line.

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian is only a "solid" 4th line? Richardson and Matthias each have 7 goals now, on pace for more than 20 goals on the season, how the hell are they even considered a 4th line, never mind only a solid 4th line. They maybe one of the better 3rd lines in the league, heck, they could probably be 2nd liners on teams like Edmonton or Carolina.

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian is only a "solid" 4th line? Richardson and Matthias each have 7 goals now, on pace for more than 20 goals on the season, how the hell are they even considered a 4th line, never mind only a solid 4th line. They maybe one of the better 3rd lines in the league, heck, they could probably be 2nd liners on teams like Edmonton or Carolina.

Take it with a grain of salt. He said kass/tito. Even on Kassians worst day there is no reason to sub in sestito for him...slower, less skill, just as tough and hits just as hard.

We were calling Bonino, Higgins and Burr our best second line since 2011 just a couple of weeks ago. Let it play out will ya.

Archived