The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour]----Canucks looking to trade Matthias

ShakyWalton

To this point he's out preformed Kassian and improved quickly within a reasonable time frame. He's not going anywhere. If anything Kassian may be on the move with his lack of performance.

Last season kassian had 14 goals and 29 points playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. To put things in perspective when matthias was 22 he had 6 goals and 16 points. Kassian will improve and is already on a better trajectory. He's also meaner and tougher than matthias. No way I choose shawn over Zack (unless the return is a landslide).

For any of those out there saying Matthias is going to be let go over the likes of Sestito or even Richardson for that matter... Look at his strides and explosiveness for a big guy. Hes obviously isn't going to beat a Patrick Kane or Evgeni Malkin but I've like this kid since we grabbed him. He could not be playing better for us on that "3rd" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKVwYnitqlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb_mc92Cb6Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUs_pYahGRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH-RhMM8OxY

Doesn't sound like he wants to be going anywhere.

Some quotes from Matthias today:

“It’s the first time I’ve ever been on a team this good, a winning team,” said third-line winger Shawn Matthias, who has played seven postseason games in six years.

“I was talking to my dad about this last night. It’s fun coming to the rink and winning.

“This is the most fun I’ve ever had playing hockey. I’ve really enjoyed playing for (Desjardins).”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Botchford+Desjardins+leading+Canucks/10426903/story.html

Glad to see he's having fun and getting results

Doesn't sound like he wants to be going anywhere.

Some quotes from Matthias today:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Botchford+Desjardins+leading+Canucks/10426903/story.html

Glad to see he's having fun and getting results

Robongo thanks for posting this. I knew i liked Matthias and I'm glad, sooooo glad, he wants to be here as well.

I found it interesting when this topic surfaced, he wasn't playing that great, but as soon as this surfaced ever since he has been a beast. It's like he knew about this rumor and stepped up his game, and it has shown he has been playing great, don't want to see him leave.

Also find it funny how Kassian is being compared to with Matthias in here, it's like a trend Kassian is always the other player to be let go over the other player hmm.... I wonder why coincidence? If it came down to chosing either Matthias or Kassian to help this team win a cup right now, I would have to pick Matthias he has played better then kassian overall. Maybe 2-3 years down the road Kassian may become the better player it's still up in the air, that's the problem with him you just never know, there's just not enough consistency in his game yet to see that, and that's what makes him a gamble.

Matthias isn't going anywhere any time soon.

:)

Don't think Mattias is going anywhere now,..

I think a lot depends on how the rest of the season goes. If the team continues to play well, and he is also playing well, then likely he stays for the entire season. If the team is doing poorly then he likely gets traded.

I would like to see Matthias re-signed prior to the end of the season. However, if he gives indications that he would like to try the free agent waters, do you keep him for the playoff run, or trade him? The team is in a similar situation with Richardson. He'd be great to have for the playoffs, but do you risk losing him as a UFA at the end of the season?

I'm inclined to take the risk and keep them around, hope that their contributions help carry the team through the playoffs, and then see about getting them to re-sign before July.

regards,

G.

Yeah tank for McDavid. Right? RIGHT?

So glad JB is the GM.

Nope, never part of that ridiculous club but as I said in the CT thread:

Hi :towel:

Pretty much this. He's currently playing really good hockey (best time to trade him!) but he will regress to the mean soon enough and be a merely competent third liner. It's also debateable we'll be able to afford to re-sign him anyway AND need to make space somewhere in our lineup next season for another prospect. SOMEBOY will have to be moved.

He's basically what we always wanted Booth to play like and at an appropriate salary. Or conversely what Kassian's potential is in a few years (but hopefully more consistent as this IMO is a "peak" Matthias and I hope this would be a fairly regular Kassian in ~ 3 years).

But I'd trade him (packaged) in an instant to get a good early 20's d-man with some high end projection in our D depth. It's simply the smart move if Benning can find a dance partner. And there's teams out there with high end D-prospects ready or close to making the jump and a bit of a log jam in front of them.

That said, I'm not opposed to keeping him either. A Matthias, Horvat, Kassian third line (by the end of the season) should be a thing of beauty to behold. But that comes at the expense of D depth which is just as, if not more important and still having a gaping hole in a near-ready, high ceiling d-man in our prospect pool.

It's nothing against him, it's simply a matter of assert management. We have lots of bottom 9 forward depth and very little NHL ready D depth particularly with a higher ceiling. He's playing well and hence has good value and you have to give to get. We also need to make space next season.

If it's not him, it's Hansen and he's playing well too (and likely has less value). Again, SOMEBODY has to go.

Archived